Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Burned by Nest Protect Batteries

Community Member

Hi, I was just burned by a lithium battery in my Nest protect. The device was chirping for me to replace the batteries, so I opened it up and started to remove the existing/old batteries - and one of them was so hot it burned my finger. I don’t mean it was warm, I mean it actually burned and blistered my skin.

These were all Energizer lithium batteries last replaced about 2 years ago; the Nest protect was in a room temperature location not exposed to direct sunlight. This should not have happened; If burn risk isn’t bad enough, this seems like a clear fire risk to me.

There are other posts on this forum about this issue and it seems it is alarmingly common with these units, but those posts do not ever go on to say how the issue was resolved. I do not feel very comfortable that something hot enough to burn my skin is attached to my ceiling.

Has anyone had this issue and been able to come to a resolution (with Google or otherwise)? I have 6 of these units in my house so it’s a lot of $$$ to just throw them out and replace with dumb smoke alarms. Any advice would be helpful.



Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hi Lazaruslsx,

Thanks for reaching out and bringing this concern to our attention. This is not the situation we want you to experience. We'd be happy to take a look into this for you. Please fill out this form with all the needed information. Let me know once you’re done.


Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hello Lazaruslsx,

We got your form — thanks for filling it out. Our team will reach out to you via email to further assist you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to create a new thread as I will be locking this thread after 24 hours.