cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Protect Gen 2 false smoke alarm repeatedly at 2 AM

PB1000
Community Member

I had a single Nest Protect Gen 1 in my old house and was very happy with it.  I just purchased 5 Nest Protect Gen 2 wired units for a different house and now I get a false smoke alarm just after 2 AM about once a week.  There is no smoke and no sign of any environmental issues.  The alarm can be temporarily silenced but eventually continues to the point where it can't be silenced and I have to detach the wiring and remove the batteries in all of the units.

The first time it happened I followed all support suggestions and cleaned the unit that started the alarm.  The problem persists, and I plan to return the units this week if I don't find a solution.  I never had this problem (almost 2 years) with the 10 year old wired units that I replaced.

Also, I have found that I can't permanently silence the Gen 2 alarm remotely.  I was able to do this with the Gen 1 and also able to use IFTTT.  I knew I wouldn't be able to use IFTTT anymore with Google Home but I figured I would find workarounds or that would be other services available.  Nope.  This is kind of a dealbreaker because I can't have false alarms traumatizing my pets when I am away.  It also sucks to no longer be able to get IFTTT notifications for temperature changes or other data that I was getting from my Nest Thermostat.  I'm ready to ditch the Google ecosystem entirely at this point.

Anyone else experience this issue or have any solutions before I get a refund?  $500+ is too much to pay for the headache of unnecessary piercing alarms in the middle of the night.

039CB410-3122-400D-9840-F65CDF4BD957.jpeg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

PB1000
Community Member

This forum looks pretty dead and the lack of responses to my post (other than my own) indicate that there aren't any solutions out there.

I'm returning the 5 Nest Protects and will consider that the solution.

I plan to try out the battery-powered X-sense smart detector which can be controlled remotely from anywhere by web app.  It's so much cheaper that I'm hoping it will work with fewer false alarms.

I guess it is time to move on now that Google has taken over Nest and now that the products have lost a lot of functionality.  I'd rather spend my time building IFTTT applets to improve features on other brands than trying to get actual support and innovation for Google Nest issues.

View solution in original post

PB1000
Community Member

I am returning them.  I have removed them one by one, and it turns out that all of them eventually go off whenever it rains.  I do live near a lake and we do have humidity in the area, but not anything abnormal.  My house is fairly well-sealed and I checked the humidity levels and they only change significantly when the HVAC runs and removes moisture.  Regardless of the reason, I don't have this problem with other detectors so back they go.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

PB1000
Community Member

FYI, it happens on different units on different days of the week - not the same unit each time.  But at the same time of day.

PB1000
Community Member

I contacted Google Support and the first thing they asked was if there had been any humidity changes.  Well, it rained last night.  I understand the concept (the sensor may see water particles) but never in my life has that set off any other brand of smoke detectors.  Google Support eventually offered to replace two of the units but I have no confidence in that resolving the issue (also I could probably not return all 5 units and get my money back from the seller if I do that).

Anyone else out there having this issue of false alarms at a particular time of the night?

PB1000
Community Member

This forum looks pretty dead and the lack of responses to my post (other than my own) indicate that there aren't any solutions out there.

I'm returning the 5 Nest Protects and will consider that the solution.

I plan to try out the battery-powered X-sense smart detector which can be controlled remotely from anywhere by web app.  It's so much cheaper that I'm hoping it will work with fewer false alarms.

I guess it is time to move on now that Google has taken over Nest and now that the products have lost a lot of functionality.  I'd rather spend my time building IFTTT applets to improve features on other brands than trying to get actual support and innovation for Google Nest issues.

the battery unit does the same thing false alarms all of the time. I don't know what happened to this

DanCoco
Community Member

I would return them. Google shows us they have all but abandoned support for Nest Protects.

PB1000
Community Member

I am returning them.  I have removed them one by one, and it turns out that all of them eventually go off whenever it rains.  I do live near a lake and we do have humidity in the area, but not anything abnormal.  My house is fairly well-sealed and I checked the humidity levels and they only change significantly when the HVAC runs and removes moisture.  Regardless of the reason, I don't have this problem with other detectors so back they go.

phoenix2116llc
Community Member

I am also having this issue. I have it sitting on my table only inches from my computer and it is sounding off. I don't understand what is happening here

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.  I recommend returning the Nest Protect if you purchased it recently.

I returned the 5 units that I purchased and replaced them with wifi smoke detectors from X-Sense (a company based in Germany) that cost less than a third of the Nest Protect price.  I only lost features I didn't need: the annoying and useless voice, the carbon monoxide detection, and the motion sensor night light.  You can replace the last two features for a small cost if you need them.  Nobody needs that stupid voice - it's just aggravating.

Unlike Nest Protect and it's bizarre Bluetooth implementation, the X-Sense app provides true remote canceling of alarms (for approx 9 minutes - enough time to allow the issue to resolve hopefully).  And I've had no false alarms since install.  Their app gives you battery status, allows sharing with other invited users, and is fully supported.  I sent an email with a question about the app and received a prompt response with screenshots and all the info I needed.  There is no IFTTT or other smart home coordination as far as I know, but it works and has an app and no false alarms.

phoenix2116llc
Community Member

I wish I had known about these issues before. I just spent lots of money on 10 of these units. Now nest is saying that I can't have the units around moisture. What are :0 that's nuts since its ok to have it in a kitchen where there is lots of water and cooking. Oh and what's this the unit is good for 10 years but you need to change the batteries every 6 months!!! 😞

Cairns
Community Member

I had 7 units installed in my home. One units sensor failed and replaced. Replacement units kept giving false alarms. 3 other units keep giving false alarms. 

I have clean units, moved mounting locations etc, nothing resolved false alarms.

The alarms generally occur after rain events.

Tested other brands of smoke alarms next to nest product. Nest was triggered and the other brand did not.

Can't trust Google nest fire alarm. 

I'm returning them to retailer.