cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Protect devices stopped working

peters48
Community Member

I have 4 Nest Protect devices and all worked fine until last weekend when the power went out.  When the power came back on, after three days, none of the Protect devices would connect to my Wi-Fi network.  I've tried resetting their Wi-Fi connections but without success.  The Wi-Fi network is working OK and no other devices connected to it are having problems, including the two Nest thermostats in the house.  Only the Nest Protect devices -- all of them -- are failing to connect. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

KEDavis
Community Member

Welcome to the club.  I have a string titled Protect will not connect to WiFi.  Very similar situation and no satisfaction yet.  Frustrating that other Nest devices work and other manufacturer's devices work, but Protect seems to be finicky.

peters48
Community Member

Just got done with two calls and 1+ hours talking to Nest customer service.  Here's how they got the problem fixed:

1. On the Nest app, remove all your Protect devices from the original structure (e.g., "Home").
  2. Set up a new structure (e.g., "New Home." I called mine "Nest Protect" so I'd know what it included).  
  3. Reset all your Protect devices. (Press and hold the device's button until you hear it say the software version number. As it's saying the version number, release the button.)
  4. Now reinstall all your Protect devices on the new structure.  You may have to reset them more than once (I did when the installation routine did not pick up the new device's network name.)

This worked for me.  It took a while and quite a few restarts but it did work.  Note, if you have any other Nest devices, you don't have to put them on the new structure: they can stay where they are.

KEDavis
Community Member

Peters48, thanks for your suggestion.  The only way I could originally get my Protects on the app a couple years ago was to have a separate Home from where I have my Nest thermostats.  Anyway, I took your suggestion and created another new Home with different name and unfortunately, same results.  Goes through connecting with the Protect, finding the wifi networks, but after selecting mine and putting in the PW it still gives the P006 error message and will not connect them.  I've just put the Protects up on the ceiling but they are no longer in the app or connected to wifi.  If we are still in this house when the ten years expires, I guess I'll buy un-smart alarms as no sense paying Google all that money for something that won't do what it says it should do.  Thanks again.