cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Updates on Nest Protect and pending Scottish legislation changes

RachelC
Googler
Googler

Hey everyone, 

I appreciate everyone’s patience as they’ve shared their feedback and questions regarding the pending Scottish legislation changes. We’re aware of the proposed legislation changes to the fire and smoke alarm standard in Scotland requiring households to have interlinked heat and smoke alarms. Nest Protect cannot function as a heat alarm due to specific hardware and functional requirements of those devices. So, beginning February 2022,  Nest Protects will not meet these new requirements due lack of interconnection with a compatible heat alarm. 

At this time, there are no current plans to produce a heat alarm and we do understand this is not ideal for many of our Scottish customers, but you can still use your Nest Protect as a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm as an addition to your interconnected system. We understand these options may not be suitable for everyone so we ask if you have any additional questions around next steps for your Nest Protect, you can contact support to get additional details.

We ask that you continue to refer to the guidance of your fire and local authorities and we’ll also share any updates and changes as they arise. 

Thanks,

Rachel

243 REPLIES 243

NickB
Community Member

The Nest does not comply with the BS 5446-2:2003 heat alarm standard required by the regulation for kitchens. It only complies with the BS EN 14604: 2005 standard for smoke alarms required for the standard. It is possible for devices to be certified to both standards.

Will Google get the current Nest alarm certified against the BS 5446-2:2003 heat alarm standard? Or if the current Nest alarm is unable to pass this certification, while Google release a new device that will?

DanCoco
Community Member

Google has no intention to modify the existing detector to meet the certification and from Google's actions seen elsewhere in this forum, we cannot expect that Google will develop a new hardware detector.

nycdad
Community Member

HI Rachel, I live in New York and I am also required by code to to have a interconnected Rate of Rise heat detector in my boiler room. I just installed 5 hardwired Nest smoke/carbon detectors and Im being told by inspector that my RoR heat detector must be interconnected to my smoke/carbon system. I know Kidde makes a RoR Heat Detector that interconnects to their Smoke/carbon. Is there a compatible RoR that i can interconnect to my Nest system or do i have to replace all 5 Nest detectors with Kidde?

DanCoco
Community Member

(not a google employee.)

Return all of those Nest Protects while you still can. They do not have any rate of rise or heat detectors and if the actions we've seen from Google in the rest of this forum have anything to say, they will not be developing any new detectors, as they cannot even maintain the software for the current ones.