cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

nest protect false alarms how to deal with this

phoenix2116llc
Community Member

My nest protect smoke detector keeps having false alarms. I couldn't talk to a human person so I had to spend hours trying to find answers and I still can't get a clear answer. I think the issue may be 2 fold. 1) the nest protect that I have installed is in a hallway near a bathroom with a shower. As far as I can tell I need to do something in the app to reduce the sensitivity of the unit. "Steam check" is what it is being called (I think) but I don't see this setting in my app. If I set the room to a different room will this reduce the alarms? Its not clear in the white pages

2) I want someone else to be able to control the unit 

Also, the unit is in a place that I am renting out. So its not like I can ask my tenants to push the button all of the time. The alarm keeps going off for no reason. How can I allow them to silence the unit while someone takes a shower

4 REPLIES 4

PB1000
Community Member

Steam Check is on by default.  My experience was that Steam Check did not stop the false alarms from humidity.  Check the link below for info on what Steam Check is and how to find the setting (it's in the Nest Sense section of the Settings in the app).  And for whatever reason, like many Nest settings, it can take 24 hours to update.  Seriously.  How crazy is that?

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9243882?hl=en&app=true&country=US&locale=en_US

I am going to start posting this stuff on Facebook and see what google does about this issue, you should as well. If enough people post about it the company must do something. I'm in NYC and here the city has mandated that only sealed 10year battery units may be used. I have 10 of these units, I can't change the battery every year. Costs to much and not giving me the confidence that I would be alerted if there is an issue. 

teunissa
Community Member

My nest protect also has frequent false alarms.  There is never any sign of smoke or steam.  I’m trying to understand the trigger, but now most of the time it remains unplugged with the batteries removed otherwise the “heads up” warning will be on repeat every few minutes.  Kind of defeats the purpose, but it clearly not working as it should be.

I am going to start posting this stuff on Facebook and see what google does about this issue, you should as well. If enough people post about it the company must do something. I'm in NYC and here the city has mandated that only sealed 10year battery units may be used. I have 10 of these units, I can't change the battery every year. Costs to much and not giving me the confidence that I would be alerted if there is an issue.