cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

6.2-22 Software Update Issues

Neelfsu
Community Member

Is anyone on the 6.2-22 Software version and having issues? My Nest thermostat was updated to the new software last week and since then I have had issues with both shorter cycles and the thermostat running for an extended time (far beyond target temperature). I'm curious if anyone else is having issues. 

I've contacted Google / Nest support and not one person  has any details on the 6.2-22 version and this software version isn't listed on the software version page. 

245 REPLIES 245

Let me know if you like them I'll be happy to switch as long as they work.

I've seen my buddies are using it. No complaints from them. They are happy and it's outsmarting nest in certain areas. 

Mine was working until this "ghost" update from Google which they're denying it. This version is not even on their official site. Definately had some intern developer's working on this team and released untested version. 

Worst part is you can't even roll back. Greed in corporate world goes beyond our imagination. I've been using Google phone and their eco system. I guess it's time for me to get out and explore something beautiful

Just talked to my brother he has had 2 ecobees for 4 years no issues. I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow, I just need something that works.

I broke down and bought an Ecobee Saturday, easy install and all my issues went away.  I keep checking every morning just to double check but once I set it up I haven't touched it since.

Did you get a high efficiency unit or variable speed blower? In my experience at my past residence that had one, we could not get the Nest to work properly with it because its learning capabilities fought with the learning capabilities of the new furnace/AC.

On my new furnace there’s a micro switch you have to flip so nest can control its cycling. Otherwise the computer in the furnace does it.

The new furnace was put in 3 seasons ago and I have never had an issue with the nest that I had before the new furnace, the company that installed the furnace also check all the wiring and it was working just fine until this update.  

Dsmit
Community Member

Like others, after this update, my thermostat can’t connect to Wi-Fi, even after factory reset on the thermostat and full restart of home network router and access points. Super frustrating!

Even if a fixed update were released, no way to update without connectivity.

I recall a Nest update a few years ago that bricked units in a similar way. They eventually replaced A LOT of thermostats.  Mine was out of warranty at the time and they replaced it because it was their firmware update that rendered it useless. 

SK000
Community Member

It's so frustrating. I feel like probably Google is trying to "force" users to upgrade or buy a newer model that's why they're doing this. What bothers me most that I don't see this release version on their official website. 

So, clearly their intentions are looking sketchy

guymadison
Community Member

Even though I was able to fix the thermostat and turn the heat on by resetting the settings to default, I can no longer connect to the internet after the update.

Dsmit
Community Member

Yep, the update definitely affects Wi-Fi connectivity — at least in some situations. 

Contact Nest support here: https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp

Dsmit
Community Member

My thermostat updated on Oct 26. It frequently takes big tech companies a week or more to realize they have introduced a large-scale problem and structure a response. 

The longer it lingers without a plan, the more it costs (support calls that take a lot of resource, lost customers, etc.). 

It’s in their best interest to own it and fix it. Will they realize it quickly, or fumble for a while?

guymadison
Community Member

I woke up today with no heat.... right after the software update.

SK000
Community Member

Try factory reset. Or call customer support but not sure how much they'll help you out on this. It'll came down to end users issue not them of course FYI

Brown994
Community Member

I replaced the nest thermostat 2 days ago with a wyze brand.  No more short cycling or weird temperature reading problems. I had tried factory resetting the thermostat ,and actually had an HVAC technician come out and tried a bunch of things to fix it without success.

SK000
Community Member

Wow it's really that bad! How come ppl are not complaining about it!!

I think Google found out this issue on a smaller scales then stopped sending updates. Now they're not gonna do anything. Hoping ppl you'll buy new nest thermostat! Joke 🤣🤣. I'll never buy another Google products

Dsmit
Community Member

I think people aren’t complaining as much because failure for some manifests as a Wi-Fi connectivity issue, which directs folks down a rabbit trail of trying to find/fix issues in their home network.  Unless you really understand networking (and consumers shouldn’t have to), it takes a while to narrow problems back to the client device.  

In my case, immediately after the firmware update, my thermostat was controlling things like normal. It just wasn’t getting local weather info, so was showing a cloud warning icon and was “offline” in the Nest app.

The thermostat is still controlling HVAC just fine, but cannot find any Wi-Fi networks.  

jason555
Community Member

I’ve also had some weird issues since the update including inaccurate temps. Also, the green leaf now looks different https://imgur.com/a/BKde28W on both of my nest learning thermostats

Inaccurate temps has been my biggest issue. I had the thermostat set at 69f last night. The outside temp was 38f. My furnace never turned on and the Nest never showed the temperature get below 69 that I had it set at. 

I ended up calling a HVAC tech because obviously our house was very cold. 

ddoyle6520
Community Member

Mine reset to 6.2-22 yesterday and haven't noticed any problems at least not yet. 

ktstephens18
Community Member

I got the 6.2-22 software update on November 1st and then began having heater short-cycling and/or the heat is not running even though the nest says it is running. I spoke with Google Nest support who walked me through some troubleshooting and then I ended the help when she wanted me to change up the wiring. The thermostat was working fine for 4 years and stopped working properly after the software update. She insisted the software update would not cause the thermostat to quit functioning ... as if the wiring had changed. I am cutting my losses now and going out to buy a new thermostat not made by Google. I'm assuming the last 2 digits are the year code. 22 stands for 2022. Why are they pushing this out in 2021. The most recent software version on their website is 6.1.1-21 released September 7, 2021.

nest4fix
Community Member

I am having a similar issue after the update my heat is not turning at all and the fan keeps blowing.

SK000
Community Member

If you guys notice on Google's office release note is saying that they've released this version on November 1st 2021 which is Monday. If you guys noticed the first conversation we've actually received this version last Wednesday which is 27th October 2021. 

Common Google you're better than this. Quit lying to your consumers haha

mdj07469
Community Member

Nest thermo was working perfectly until the very day of the update. Now, useing the app or alexa.  You can turn it on ok.  But...You cant turn it off.  Both alexa an the nest app, say it was turned off, but it is still on.  Also, programmed  routines seem to be running log past settings.  Either 45 minutes and then temp turn fown or skipping all together.

SK000
Community Member

I can tell you this! My furnace is running longer no doubt! This thermostat supposed to reduce my bill but this update making things worse now! I've been regretted now why I've got this at the first place. I'm so frustrated now. How a tech company like Google can screw things up like this! You have money and you don't care about investing money on good developers??!!

Dp88
Community Member

Same issues with the recent update a few days ago. Very frustrating. Furnace running way longer than normal cause it to overheat 

SK000
Community Member

I'm gonna see how long it's running today. Then will factory reset. After doing it seems like its working like for a day or two max before receiving this 6.2-22 - unnecessary update 🤬

guymadison
Community Member

Google is not going to acknowledge this, I have lost heat since the update. They said in a chat there is no possible way the software update can cause this. But you can see on my usage timeline the heat SHUT OFF right after the update on Nov 1.

I am a software developer with 30 years of work in low level software, I can say with confidence this is not a hardware issue like Google says.. it's a software issue.

I have a spare thermostat I will be installing today to get the heat back on today, its 43 degrees outside and Google doesn't seem to care.

SK000
Community Member

How it can be a software issue when it's running fine before receiving the update?? I mean they think everyone's dumb except them!! 

Dsmit
Community Member

They told be the same thing — that the firmware update couldn’t be the cause of my issues.

Yet the the problem started immediately after the update. 

The troubleshooting tree the agent was using led her to say the only possible cause is failed display hardware (out of warranty). Yet the display and dial UI work great.

It looks like previous settings are incompatible with the new software, you need to reset all the settings and start from scratch.

After doing this my heater turned on "heat 2" (or whatever) by cranking the temperature up beyond the ECO setting.

It works well enough for now.

But its definitely a software issue, not a hardware issue.

SK000
Community Member

Keep an eye on your thermostat. I did factory reset, twice. First time after resetting I've noticed the long cycles and longer running after 24 hours. Second time after resetting I've noticed this again after 4 days. I'm just gonna factory reset again later tonight. I just wanna see my thermostat run for today. It's running more definately, i just wanna know for how long!

LT29
Community Member

Geezzzz…..no wonder Google seems like a such great place to work, no one seems to take responsibility or care about anything. Clearly something went wrong and it’s been over a week and they’ve yet to even acknowledge it.

SK000
Community Member

Google is a corporation now. They don't care. They have so many products now. When they released their newest thermostat i knew that they're gonna force user to buy new one like Apple did with their iPhone. I hope I'm wrong

markvw3
Community Member

My Nest E thermostats seem to be working now (knock on wood). I reset my boiler (hydronic heating), restarted each Nest, and also cleared all of my manual schedules (didn't use them anyway). I use my Nest thermostats in our mountain cabin and having remote access is not only convenient but also an imperative (no frozen pipes). Luckily I am about 3 hours away from my house and was able to drive up to perform the troubleshooting step above. Still very frustrated that I pay a premium for 3 Nests and there are no answers to the 6.2-22 update issues. There are cheaper options out there - just say'n. BTW, I also had 3 Nest learning thermostats and they were even worse b/c my system has no common wires ... other issues to, but that may be for a different thread 🤔 

guymadison
Community Member

It looks like previous settings are incompatible with the new software, you need to reset all the settings and start from scratch.

After doing this my heater turned on "heat 2" (or whatever) by cranking the temperature up beyond the ECO setting.

It works well enough for now.

But its definitely a software issue, not a hardware issue.

antun
Community Member

Is yours still working correctly after resetting the settings? I'm just trying to understand what I need to plan for since I won't be able to get to my place which has the Nests for several days.

plasticbed20
Community Member

I was told they released the update in batches.  I'm one of the early batches.  I too never had issues for 4 years.  Since this 6.2-22 update the battery drops below 3.63volts and disconnects from wi-fi to save battery life.  So if they ever do an update I'll need to charge up with a usb cord in order to connect to wi-fi.  In the mean time my Smart thermostat is as useful as a $20 P.O.S. thermostat.

guymadison
Community Member

Here is the fix... delete all your settings from the thermostat menu.

Setup your thermostat again.

Run the nest app from your cell phone, log into your account.

Delete the thermostat.

Add in a new device, skip the install stage.

From here you should be up and running.

Once you do this your device will be back to normal.

Check your device on home.nest.com, it will be there again and connected.

Dsmit
Community Member

Went through an entire device delete/factory reset/reinstall process multiple times. The thermostat still cannot find Wi-Fi networks, nor be added to the app. 

The Nest support agent had me turn on a personal hotspot on my phone and hold it near the thermostat and it couldn’t find that one, either.