cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Battery Replacement on Nest thermostat

Aurora1974
Community Member

I have the Nest Thermostat (NOT the Learning one or the "E").  I have installed a C-wire but still continue to have battery issues when the furnace runs (but not the AC).

Can I replace the AAA alkaline batteries with rechargeable lithium ions? Furnace guy said the system would recharge the batteries as needed, but just want to make sure.

1 REPLY 1

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No, it needs to be 1.5 V AAA alkaline batteries. Using other batteries may damage your thermostat. In normal operation the thermostat receives power from your HVAC system, it does not charge the batteries so not sure why you were informed that. The thermostat will only use the batteries as a backup, or to supplement if your system isn't delivering enough power, it definitely does not charge the batteries. If you're repeatedly getting low battery messages even after installing a C wire, there's still a reason as to why your thermostat isn't getting enough power. I'd recommend trying these steps to troubleshoot:

Learn about the common or C wire - Google Nest Help

If you're not able to resolve the issue yourself, then I'd recommend you contact a Nest Pro in your area or a local HVAC technician to diagnose your system. Alternatively, you might want to consider installing the Nest Power Connector instead.