cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

2nd generation Nest doesn’t have a QR code or 6 digit code so I can't migrate to Google Home

leojen
Community Member

Nest stopped supporting Alexa September 29th 2023. In order to use Alexa with Nest I have to migrate my nest to google Home (I first had do change my email on Nest to a gmail to be able to load my Nest in Google Home)

This is my problem.

I can’t install my 2nd generation nest to Google Home because the 2nd generation doesn’t have a QR code or 6 digit code 😠 All I have is a serial number.

I should have left the Nest alone and not involved Google. This is so complicated Alexa worked perfectly well with Nest. 

Model Blackplate-2.    Nest Software Version 4.2.8/3.1

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You cannot directly add Nest Learning Thermostat to the Google Home app. The QR code and setup key are in the settings menu on those models of thermostat, but they can only be used to add the thermostat to the Nest app.

When you install the Nest Learning Thermostat or the Nest Thermostat E in the Nest app, the thermostat should automatically appear in the Google Home app if you’re using the same account in both apps, using the same home structure, and have assigned the thermostat to a room in the Nest app. If any of that isn’t true, you’ll need to go ahead and fix those issues to see if you need to try the steps below at all.

Assuming all of the above is true. try these steps:

1. Open the Nest app and follow the “Create another home in the Nest app” steps linked below to create a new temporary home structure:
    Manage homes and products with the Nest app - Google Nest Help
  2. Open the Google Home app, find and delete the home structure you just created by following the “Delete a home” steps linked below:
    Share a home and devices in the Google Home app - Google Nest Help

This forces the two apps to sync and your thermostat should now appear in the Google Home app.

leojen
Community Member

I have been using the Nest app for years and used Alexa to control the nest app.  Google announced that After September 29, 2023, Google will no longer support the legacy Nest skills for Alexa. To continue controlling Nest devices through Alexa, you need to migrate your Nest account to Google Home and activate the new Google Nest Skill for Alexa

So in order to do this I proceeded with first removing the Nest skills in Alexa 

Second I need to add Nest to Google Home (First I had to change my Nest email login to a Gmail)

In Google Home when I +Add a device I have two options

1) New Device

2) Works with Google

If I choose 1) New Device it asks to scan a QR code or enter a 6-digit code and as I indicated my version of Nest Learning Thermostat does not have them.  If I choose 2) "Works with Google" and I choose Nest and I try to <+Add> Nest to Google Home in the "+Add Works With Google" I get an error

"Oops! we've encountered an error. Please try again,"

With no further explanation.  (incidentally it shows the correct gmail account)

Also when I try to migrate to Google Home from the steps/instructions in the Nest app I get an error "This Google Account is already linked with another Nest Account. Please select another Google Account. So I am in a loop. Did I mention I am a developer? 

So I try to add a product to the new home created in the nest app, but then it ask to go to the thermostat to add a 7-key  in Settings > Nest app. but when I do it says "This thermostat is connected to an account" so I can't get the 7-digit code. Now that I did the partial migration to google I can't delete the old Nest account. 

Now I can't even control my nest with my nest app as I have for years because I updated the nest app and I Can't add the current Nest to my new Nest Home Profile because my Nest does not have a QR code or 6-digit code and I can't see the 7-digit code in the thermostat because it is still connected to the old account I can no longer access. 

So your step 1 to create another home in the nest app now broke everything further I no longer have the original space that the nest is currently connected to.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

In that case, it sounds as though something went wrong during the migration from your Nest account to your Google account, because your thermostat should be there when you login to the Nest app using the Google account you migrated to.

Don't try and add your thermostat to the Google Home app, it will not work as it must be added to the Nest app, to then automatically appear in the Google Home app.

To resolve, try these steps:

1. On the thermostat, press it to open the quick view menu and tap the Settings cog.
  2. Select Reset, then Account connection. If you don't see that option, you'll need to select All Settings which resets the thermostat.
  3. Login to the Nest app using the login with Google button.
  4. On the Nest app home screen, tap the Settings cog.
  5. Tap Add product. The app will switch to a camera view to scan the thermostat’s QR code.
  6. On the thermostat, press it to open the quick view menu and tap the Settings cog.
  7. Turn the ring to select Nest app and press to open it.
  8. Select QR code. Your thermostat will show you a unique QR code to scan with the app. If it doesn't, tap Continue without scanning in the app and select Get entry key on your thermostat instead.
  9. Follow the remaining steps in the Nest app.