cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can someone help me figure out what’s wrong here

Matttruiano
Community Member

I used a photo of my Honeywell thermostat connection to rewire my nest. Doing the best I can matching what I had to what I have now. It seems like everything is in the correct spot but when I got to the test section of the set up, when I tested the heat, the HVAC fan turned on. I have baseboard heating separate from central air conditioning. 

in addition to that I am getting an error message the RH wire has no power

I would like to include photos of the wiring but I do not see where to do that.  I put back my Honeywell because it is 13° in New York and I need heat

10 REPLIES 10

sporfrog
Bronze
Bronze

If you can, include photos. It really helps. Use the camera icon to attach a photo. If you are unable to send photos, send a listing of terminal letter and wire color used by your Honeywell.

Example:

RH - Red
W - White
C - Blue

(for each wire and connector)

Also, which Nest Thermostat do you have?

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9246551?hl=en

Yes i agree being able to include photos would make this so much easier but for some reason i cant do it. clicking on the camera icon brings up a message box for me to type in a response in a text box for "source, image description, and dimensions" no where to click to browse/insert photos 

anyway heres a list of my honeywell setup:

green wire - G

Blue wire - Y

white wire - w/AUX

dark red wire - R

light red wire - Rc

heres my setup for nest learning thermostat 3rd gen

green wire - G

Blue wire - Y1

white wire - W1

Dark red wire - Rh

light red wire - Rc

I tried switching the white wire from w1 to w2/aux and i got an error message. 

sporfrog
Bronze
Bronze

Based on the information provided the wiring looks correct.

Check the settings on the thermostat to make sure the equipment setting matches your actual heating equipment. Based on the first post it should be something like fuel: electric, type: electric baseboard.

It is also worth noting that you did not list a C (Common) wire. In many cases a Nest thermostats will work without but generally work best with a C wire. Is it possible there is an extra wire - say blue, brown, black - in the cable that could be a common wire?

So when I asked for the source of heat I choose gas because I have a gas boiler that runs to  baseboard. there is no option for baseboard in the gas setup. 

additionally I took it apart and found an extra wire tucked away that I assumed would be a C wire. i put it in the C the terminal and nothing would turn on at all. Removed that wire and the thermostat booted up. 

still showing RH grayed out in the diagram screen (I bypassed this last time by charging it via USB but clearly somethings not right) 

B0592CDA-57C2-4B8F-BF54-FFF2E2633610.jpeg

3C4BDCC2-A091-4491-A838-C7C942A43748.jpeg

F8BC4C73-7BF4-4F45-ACA6-1F6D90440705.jpeg

7D483F27-76BF-4D76-93A8-D1D709EDBE39.jpeg

61EF163E-FEF2-4172-983E-A1B7C1CE7454.jpeg

C3AD9001-90F3-4982-95B9-D075F3E5BCD0.jpeg

image.jpg

sporfrog
Bronze
Bronze

(Each time I reply to your post I have to write it twice. Not sure why. Sorry if it appears twice.  grrr.)

Sorry, I assumed "baseboard heating" was electric. Oops! I am not familiar with gas baseboard heating. Based on "gas boiler" It sounds like maybe it is radiator heating. Unfortunately, from here just a guess...

Try setting heating equipment type to radiator or similar.

Regarding the the extra wire and using as C... Sorry, I should have been more clear. It will only be useful if it is connected at the HVAC equipment. If you have the ability, check to see if it is connected to a C or Common terminal.

Thanks for attaching photos! Based on the images it looks like the wires are connected correctly.

Thanks for your time and effort. But between talking to you, trying to figure this out on my own I watching countless YouTube videos and reading articles. I’m convinced this thermostat is just not for me. Back in the box and returning it. 

thanks again 

sporfrog
Bronze
Bronze

Ok. Sorry to hear that. We probably could get it working, but it does need to be the right product for you. And, for now, you definitely need heat!  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks. Yeah I might try again when the weathers a little warmer and I could work without heat.