cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Cancellation of Energy Saving Program

geraldurquhart
Community Member

I am enrolled in Consumer Energy's "Rush Hour Rewards" program and want to opt out.  We keep our house cool to start with, but they are constantly bumping it down to 56 degrees.  I tried the energy company's website and couldn't find any info.

4 REPLIES 4

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert
Updated 8th July 2023

If you’re currently enrolled in Rush Hour Rewards and you want to unenroll, the Google Nest support team can help you with that.

1. Go to Contact Us - Google Nest Help
  2. Select "Thermostats", type a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
  3. Click "Other", then click "Next step" until you see the contact options.
  4. Choose to get a call or call or chat with the team as available in your country.

This is not accurate either.  You don't need to contact your energy provider.  The energy provider should never have access to my device.  This is a horrible security model as it should be through an api gateway, if its allowed at all.  There’s no reason this could t and should t be controlled through the app..

For all those reading, DO NOT sign up for these programs. They are security risks and unnecessarily overshare your personal data and home network information.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The steps to unenroll have changed since this guidance was issued back in 2022. I've updated my original post accordingly.

If you’re currently enrolled in Rush Hour Rewards and you want to unenroll, the Google Nest support team can help you with that.

1. Go to Contact Us - Google Nest Help
  2. Select "Thermostats", type a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
  3. Click "Other", then click "Next step" until you see the contact options.
  4. Choose to get a call or call or chat with the team as available in your country.

Sbrady373
Community Member

Its a horrible program that is geared toward you the consumer having to spend more money to the energy company. They put it way down in the winter and way up in the summer, so to get it back to where you want it,  in addition to it still running for your “leaf” you end up having your furnace/air conditioner unit running at least 2 to 3 times as long.  Given that, youre loosing money and your your uncomfortable in your own house.  Better to keep it at a comfortable but reasonable temp and you’ll save more.  
As well, contrary to what google documents on their and under the nest site/brand, its a click of a button to enroll, but you have to call google support to stop participating.  When you do call, you sit  on hold, then go through a bunch of questions with support.  They then tell you that you have to speak to someone from the rush hour program office, so you sit on hold for another ridiculous amount of time only to have to answer the same questions with that team. They then ask you to grant them access to your network (don’t do this, just give them your thermostat serial number even though the program s setup for the household so they really only need the email address but they claim getting access to your network info, all your device configuration and usage date, and s for security reason.  Um not so much). This process is totally unnecessary and a huge waste waste of time, but they want your access and home network info.

Best path is to just never enroll in these crappy programs with google as they cost you more than they save.