cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Compatibility question before purchase

Stounino
Community Member

Hi, before purchasing a Nest Thermostat (not yet decided whether to go for the Nest Learning or Nest E), I was wondering if my system is compatible. I live in an apartment (in France) with floor heating controlled with two thermostats in the house. Hot water is common and I don't have a boiler in my apartment so that is out of the table I guess.

Here is a picture of my current wiring, both thermostats are similar. Would that work with either the Learning or the E model? Also, is the Heatlink still a thing and necessary?

Thanks for your help!

unnamed.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Your system uses high voltage (230VAC) and that is not compatible with Nest Learning Thermostats.  

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

Stounino
Community Member

Hi, thanks for your help and your reply. Where exactly do you work? 

I'm not sure about your answer as 230V is quite standard in France and it is even mentioned in the Nest installation guide:

Screenshot 2022-09-30 195554.jpg

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Stounio, I am located in the United States.  Your current thermostat only switches 230v L to L1  to initiate heating. 

If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

So Nest Learning can not do that with the schematics above?

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Unfortunately no.  I know in European markets the Heat Link is included with a Neat Learning thermostats.  The Heat Link is designed to interface with the typical European heating systems.  The Nest learning thermostat system is connected to the HVAC cooling system and the Heat Link is connected to the heating system.   The Nest Learning thermostat is what communicates with the Heat Link to control the heating system.  

So if I get the Nest with the Heat Link included and wire the Heat Link with the heater, it should do the trick in my case, right? Then, I would just have to hook the Nest Learning  thermostat to power and it would communicate with the Heat Link to handle the opening/closing of the heating circuit.

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes you are correct, but the  Nest Learning thermostat needs the 12v from the Heat Link to power it.