cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on Model to Buy

TNConfused
Community Member

I have two different and very old thermostats in my home that I want to replace.

I have two Google - Nest Smart Programmable Wifi Thermostats - Snow. The technician thinks he can make it work on one end of the house but not the other. He is coming back to check the crawl space. This area of the home is a split system with gas heat. He stated he would need to check the C connector on the furnace and I may need to get another part or possibly a different brand. But it is possible one of the two thermostats I bought may work.

However, the other end of the house he said the one I bought would not work. He said it wouldn't work because that end of the house has a separate heat pump with auxiliary heat, and that this thermostat is incompatible with that area of the home.

However, would the Google - Nest Learning Smart Wifi Thermostat - White be compatible? I cannot make sense of the online compatibility guide. I would greatly prefer to stay with the Google Nest family, as we have them in our rental properties and it would make life easier with a single app to manage multiple properties vs having to switch to a different brand.

Thanks for your kind suggestions.

1 REPLY 1

MarvinFreeman
Community Member

My Nest Learning thermostat controls my furnace/heat pump system without a problem, though the temp at which the furnace v heat pump heats the house is controlled by a setting in the heat pump itself.

A warning: the thermostat does not work well with the nest sensors.  The sensors are set by google to specific time ranges.  E.g. "Night" is always 9PM to 7AM.  If you want the sensor to control heating and cooling for a particular time period (or to "learn" what temp you want where and when) you should choose something other than the Nest system.