cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Confusion about wire connections

JimS_61
Community Member

I am trying to help a relative install a Google Nest Thermostat.  It's brand new.  But the compatibility guide isn't showing all my wire labels accurately.  There are no thick wires, and no wire nuts.  They are thin non-braided wires.  The existing thermostat has a label on the back panel with the letters C, RH, Y, W, G, RC, and O/B.  There is a jumper wire connecting RH to RC.  The O/B has no wire connected.  On the compatibility list, I see C, Rh (which I assume is the same as my RH), Y, W, and G (which I assume means G/G1)?  If that's correct, then I think it will work.  But if RH does not equal Rh, and RC does not equal Rc, then I think I'm stuck.  It won't let me post a photo here, but if I could, I took a picture of the wires connected to the block with the existing thermostat faceplate pulled off.  But I do have a link I can share that will let you view the back panel of the existing thermostat.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Av1JiZogG45FqAIVNeJafRWZEQ77?e=Lf8U2q

If anyone can take a look and let me know if it will work or not, it would be much appreicated.

Thanks in advance

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Based on that wiring, your system should be compatible with any model of Nest Thermostat.

Rc and Rh are not exactly the same, G or G1 are indeed the same. Explanations of what all the wires are for (see the common thermostat wires section):
Identify a thermostat wire - Google Nest Help

First check which model of Nest Thermostat you've bought:
How to tell which Nest thermostat you have - Google Nest Help

Nest Thermostat
For the Nest Thermostat model, use the Google Home app. The QR code and setup key are physically printed on the back of the thermostat. Follow these steps:
Get started with your Nest Thermostat - Google Nest Help

Nest Thermostat E and Nest Learning Thermostat
For Nest Thermostat E and Nest Learning Thermostat models, use the Nest app. The QR code and setup key are in the settings on the thermostat itself and are not printed on the device. Follow these steps:
Add your Nest thermostat to the Nest app - Google Nest Help

The Google Home app or Nest app will guide you through the setup, including labelling and connecting up the wires in the right place. I see you have a jumper wire between Rh and Rc, don't connect that wire to Nest Thermostat as they don't use jumper wires.

Learn about thermostat jumper wires - Google Nest Help

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Based on that wiring, your system should be compatible with any model of Nest Thermostat.

Rc and Rh are not exactly the same, G or G1 are indeed the same. Explanations of what all the wires are for (see the common thermostat wires section):
Identify a thermostat wire - Google Nest Help

First check which model of Nest Thermostat you've bought:
How to tell which Nest thermostat you have - Google Nest Help

Nest Thermostat
For the Nest Thermostat model, use the Google Home app. The QR code and setup key are physically printed on the back of the thermostat. Follow these steps:
Get started with your Nest Thermostat - Google Nest Help

Nest Thermostat E and Nest Learning Thermostat
For Nest Thermostat E and Nest Learning Thermostat models, use the Nest app. The QR code and setup key are in the settings on the thermostat itself and are not printed on the device. Follow these steps:
Add your Nest thermostat to the Nest app - Google Nest Help

The Google Home app or Nest app will guide you through the setup, including labelling and connecting up the wires in the right place. I see you have a jumper wire between Rh and Rc, don't connect that wire to Nest Thermostat as they don't use jumper wires.

Learn about thermostat jumper wires - Google Nest Help

JimS_61
Community Member

Thanks so much!  Going through the list, I believe I followed a good number of those steps already.  I know what model it is, and I saw the QR code on the back.  I tried to scan it and it didn't work (it's very difficult to see...it's light grey, not black for some reason).  But I was able to get the 6-digit number and enter it into the website and it recognized the number, so I'm pretty sure I got that far successfully.

I'll go down the rest of the list and try hooking up the wires as best I can.

JimS_61
Community Member

I ran through the steps and I'm still not sure how to do it properly.  I had a merged photo showing the back of the current thermostat with the wires attached, side-by-side with the rear panel of the thermostat she has.  It doesn't look like there are enough connectors on the thermostat to accomodate all the wires she needs.

Here's the link to the photo: https://1drv.ms/i/s!Av1JiZogG45FqCb_XQjRSrXylrR3?e=urz8cO

It looks I can do Y to Y, C to C, W to W, G to G. But there's only one R connector on the new thermostat. Do I just put the existing red wire to the G connector and use no jumper?

On the jumper wires page, it says The Nest Thermostat E only has an R connector, which is typically where an R wire would go. Since hers has only an R connector and not an Rc and Rh, I'm assuming she has a Thermostat E and I just need to connect the one red wire going to Rh and it will take care of the rest?

Again, thanks in advance.  Our locations are not that close together so I want to make sure if I go out there, I'll be able to finish this.  If she needs to buy a new Nest Thermostat, I'll try and find the right one for her, and order it.

Again, thanks in advance!!

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If it's a Nest Thermostat E, wire it like this:

• Y -> Y
  • G -> G
  • Rh -> R
  • W -> W
  • C -> C