cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Early-On with two stage heating?

bob01b
Community Member

Have a new "Nest Thermostat" and a gas fired air furnace with two stages of heat.  Works fine so far but question how Early-On will work.  Will it use stage 1 (low fan, less burners) or use stage 2 (higher fan, more burners).   This would be first thing in the AM when house was set at 62 for the night and is set for 69 in the morning.

1 Recommended Answer

bob01b
Community Member

Answered my own question.  This AM it started an hour early (as I had set as the maximum time), it ran at low heat (lower energy use) for an hour and was not yet up to the target temp.  Then it kicked into high heat (2nd stage) and ran in high until my target temp was reached. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

bob01b
Community Member

Answered my own question.  This AM it started an hour early (as I had set as the maximum time), it ran at low heat (lower energy use) for an hour and was not yet up to the target temp.  Then it kicked into high heat (2nd stage) and ran in high until my target temp was reached. 

zunkman
Community Member

I just took the dive into a 2 stage gas furnace and mine is not working like yours.  My techs did not put a wire on W2.  Do you have a wire on W2?

bob01b
Community Member

My wiring is:

C - blue
R - red
W1 - white
W2 - green
G - yellow

I used the app for direction and transferred the wires from my old thermostat.
Hope this helps

zunkman
Community Member

It certainly helps a lot.  Thanks so much!!!

zunkman
Community Member

My new Nest 3 doesn't seem to be learning Early On too quickly.  I have it set to go from 65 overnight to 72 at 7:15, and I gave it a 1 hour limit.  It waits until about 6:40 or so, and then kicks on Stage 1. By 7:15, the temperature in the house has only made it to 67 or 68 degrees.  Exactly one hour after it starts Stage 1, it ramps up to stage 2 until the house hits 72 degrees.  This is obviously not the best scenario.  My thermostat is almost 3 weeks old, and I'm just wondering how long it will take Early On to start working "properly."

zunkman
Community Member

Found some information on Google Support that I think may apply to this situation.....

"When Time-to-Temperature won't appear

• Time-to-Temperature estimates will only appear for temperatures that you've manually set with the thermostat or the Nest or Home app. Temperatures that you've put into your schedule and temperatures added by Auto-Schedule won't have a Time-to-Temperature displayed."

It's not exactly the answer, but I can't help but think it's somehow relevant.