cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fan won't stop running

KMA
Community Member

Purchased a home with the Nest. When I manually turn on the heat, it works great, but once it reaches the right temperature, the fan keeps running. The app won't let me turn it off, but only gives me an option to run it for a certain amount of time. Even if I pick the lowest option (15 minutes) after an hour it is still running. The only way to turn it off is to turn everything off, so I can only use the Nest manually. How can I fix this?

17 REPLIES 17

sporfrog
Bronze
Bronze

There are a few different reasons this could happen.  It also could depend on which thermostat you have.  (these suggestions are general and not necessarily specific to your thermostat or HVAC equipment)

• One possibility is wiring.  It could have the G terminal miswired causing the fan to run all the time.
  • There is a fan schedule in addition to a heat and cool schedule?  Check the schedules.
  • Another possibility is that is is configured so the thermostat starts the fan when heating is started, which some systems need, but many do not (fan is controlled by furnace not thermostat).  I'm not exactly sure if this works for Nest Thermostat E, but you can check this in the Google Home App:
    Thermostat Settings
    Under Device Settings -> Thermostat
    Under Equipment -> Heat Configuration
    Under Fan activation -> You might need to set to [Don't activate]

Good Luck!

Dstill
Community Member

My unit is doing the same thing. Have you found a solution?

HouseofMouse2
Community Member

My unit just started doing the same thing. Did you find an answer to your question?

ThriMai
Community Member

Following. Similar issue here. Moved into a home with a Nest, which was working great for the past month, until last night the fan just kept running (on AC) and even after resetting, rewiring, and turning the system to OFF, the fan is still on.

TDB1
Community Member

Mine too !?!?!?!?

ceh5155
Community Member

We are also having the issue that the fan runs constantly in AC after having to reconnect after changing wi-fi mode.   I don't see any good solution in the replies.  Does Google respond here?

markemory1
Community Member

Same issue here. Any solution yet?

Tarasbelle
Community Member

Same here and in addition getting not enough power for wi-fi error. It worked fine for A/C and for one day for heat. Followed all the solutions including charging the battery via an outlet but nothing now. Ready to trash this thing!

edhurt29
Community Member

Same issue as above. Worked fine for several months but now fan runs almost constant. This is frustrating. I guess no support from google. 

MrFreePress
Community Member

Plus one to this topic. One thing that has changed on my nest, because it's been running flawlessly for 5 years prior, is that after I connected nest to my Google Home automated network and possibly enrolled in some climate control sustainability feature, this is when my fan began running 24/7. Please share when you have a solution and I will as well.

markemory1
Community Member

The end result for me was google admitted it was a faulty product. Then tried to have me return the brand “new” $120 product in exchange for a “used” $80 one. Refused to send a new one, refused to give a refund, refused to compensate the $40 difference between a new and used one. So now I have a thermostat that doesn’t work (this was already the second one by the way) and I’m out $120. Worst customer service ever.

MrFreePress
Community Member

SOLUTION: Disable/Cancel Nest Renew from within your Nest App...

My issue didn't start until recently when adding bells and whistles to an already working system installed several years ago. I ventured down this path when adding Nest to my Google Home automations....The problem is not any google home automation...its within the Nest app specifically...Again, DISABLE NEST RENEW

eric30202002
Community Member

My Solution - Get rid of Nest thermostat; it's a piece of crap!

Robertburke
Community Member

Hello. I am having the same issue. This only started this week...people need an answer 

Turn off all options but basic in your Nest app. I answered with details on another similar thread. Could have been the Eco option--something about giving the utility company or the AI permission to turn hvac on and off at will.

Once I got rid of it it went back to normal.

BTW, mine team fine for years before this issue started and it only started after I decided to be Eco friendly.

Search my alias to locate my detailed post on what I did if you can't figure it out from these notes because it's been 6 months for me and I have no further details.

Good luck

SOLUTION: Disable/Cancel Nest Renew from within your Nest App...

My issue didn't start until recently when adding bells and whistles to an already working system installed several years ago. I ventured down this path when adding Nest to my Google Home automations....The problem is not any google home automation...its within the Nest app specifically...Again, DISABLE NEST RENEW

DCR123
Community Member

Same problem everyone else is running into. Is there a Nest fix or just trash it?