cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Heat won’t stay on at night

FreezingTnxNest
Community Member

I’ve had this thermostat for about 2 month now. I don’t have it on “learning” because it wasnt learning, I don’t have the schedule set up either bc this thing just does whatever the heck it wants to do. I literally have to reset it daily. I wake up freezing every morning bc it won’t keep the heat on unless it’s a 75* day, it’ll blow all day and cooperate to my adjustments. When the 32* nighttime comes, it says it’ll be over 2 hours to heat my house (even when Ive had it set on 72) the temperature just drops, instead of heats. Every time I have tested the heat it does not work, but the heat will work all day long, when the night time comes it’ll come on for less than a minute and then shut back off till about 9 AM the next day or so. I have reset, restarted and removed this thing so many times, I have rewired it, that’s not the issue, I’ve checked the furnace, That’s not the issue either. I have had zero issues with my heating and air until I put this nest thermostat on. What is the problem? Ive done all the troubleshooting every single night for the past two months, it’s getting really irritating freezing every night and messing w this stupid thing. I’m about to rip the **bleep** thing off and throw it back to the **bleep** Google company and go back to the 10 year old thermostat I had on here! @User123456 @Nest @googlenest 

89 REPLIES 89

kiltguy2112
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

At the very least you need to set your minimum temp for eco mode. Smart schedule takes weeks to really start working and is wonky if your family has widely divergent schedules, or your tstat is in a location that doesn't see a lot of traffic. You will have to setup a schedule, it is how it was designed to operate. 

SanNGA
Community Member

I have had my two nest units for over a year and they have worked fine however now I am having the exact same issue with both not heating at night. It seems that the firmware/software upgrade to 6.2.22 may be the issue. I have tried everything to fix it. It is not a hardware issue as I have had  the maintenance guy out to check both units and when he puts the old thermostats back on they work fine but when they switch back to the nest I am having this issue with not heating at night.  It never seems to reach the temp it is set for. I have them set for 70° and although the thermostat stays orange as if it’s heating the temperature slowly drops and it says 2+ hours to reach 70°. And just continue drop during the night.

Sam18
Community Member

I have the same issue, it started on Wednesday, works fine day time but as soon as night gets by it stops heating 

Casper1
Community Member

I am having daft  same issue as you described ………is there a fix ….. gonna be having puppi s and can’t have this issue going on 

Mann22
Community Member

Identical issue. Great for 3 years, now it runs for 10 minutes then shuts off before reaching temp. Zero response from Nest.

Shawn2259
Community Member

I've had my nest for over two years and in the winter it never stay at the temperature that I set or programmed in. Very frustrating waking up freezing. May have to go back to an old thermatat.

Hi Shawn - I commented on this thread a few times late last year. Just gonna re-share what worked for me in case my comments are buried in this thread... I had tried everything and this was the only thing that worked for me:

• In the app, turn off auto schedule
  • On Nest thermostat, select nest settings gear icon.
  • Scroll and select "Reset"
  • Select "Schedule"
  • Reset schedule

These instructions were provided to me by Google from their support chat. Hope it helps!

SanNGA
Community Member

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same issue…

Jbull31
Community Member

I am having this issue!? Please help 

jstcallmeandres
Community Member

I am also having the same issue. I have had my AC company come out and look at it over 5 times already in last two years. Heat does NOT work at night - only during the day.

I have tried scheduled modes, manual modes, disabling Home/Away assist, and everything else I could think of.

I will keep an eye on this thread in case any can help 😔

SanNGA
Community Member

I too had this issue and someone on another thread suggested to turn off the safety temperature settings and that has worked for me so far. I live in Georgia so that is not as big a deal for me as it would be for someone who lived in a much colder state.

I have also seen in other threads someone suggest that you simply remove the device from your account and then reset it completely, go through all of the settings to reconfigure it as if it were a new installation and finally added back to your account. That seemed to work for some others. If you have not tried either of those I would suggest giving those a try.

Apparently it seems to be some glitch with the software/firmware version 6.2–22 Good luck! 

UPDATE 01/13/22 - Stopped working after a few days and went back to initial issue - unfortunately. Back to square one.

ncrane
Community Member

I was having the same issue. Just turned off the safety temperature settings and that appears to have fixed it. 

does Google nest have a trouble ticket or complaint submission form? This is a major issue that I think could be a risk for litigation for google nest if not corrected. 

Slainte
Community Member

Same issue as others. Past few nights heat won’t come on. In the morning I power off/on the furnace and heat kicks on to my set temp.
-Hasn’t been fun considering the midwests current deep freeze…was -6 outside this morning 

Rhytor
Community Member

Why has Google not addressed this yet? I live in upstate New York where it frequently gets into the single digits at night, and this is causing a real issue for sleep in my house. If it's not resolved soon, I'm going to be replacing my nest, and won't be going back to it given an obvious lack of support and problem addressing.

EDIT: I've pinged both the Google Nest Help Twitter account and the Made By Google Twitter account about this. Hopefully that gets some eyes on it.

Bmason
Community Member

Have you figured anything out? Mine just started doing this 

cmh
Community Member

I am having this same issue. We've had no problems with this Nest thermostat for years and suddenly the heat will randomly shut off and not reach the desired set point until I spin the dial back and forth. It's especially bad at night. As another poster mentioned, I'm in the midwest and these sub-zero temps cool our home very quickly. I have two young boys and we have to check them throughout the night to make sure they're properly covered. 

I am running 6.2-22. I've reset, changed all settings, turned schedule off, etc. Nothing has worked.

This is a serious bug that Google should address immediately. How can a thermostat not keep a home at the desired temperature which is its only job? Fix please!

Erick01
Community Member

Did you figure it out? My also has same problem, it shows heating on the display, but actually not. After switching back to my old one, heating is good. So there must be something wrong with the nest thermostat itself.

cmh
Community Member

No fix!

I just had my Nest replaced thinking it was the actual hardware. A brand new Nest does the exact same thing (My set temperature is 72, it says it will reach the desired temp in 1 hour, but temp keeps dropping until I spin the dial multiple times).

HVAC just came out and said everything looks good furnace-wise so this is clearly a Nest problem. 

Not sure what to do other than go to a competitor which is too bad because I've liked the overall product until this moment.

Casper1
Community Member

Thank you exactly done all th e same things as you ……..  and we have paid dearly for this thing to be a thermostat which it is not doing 

Jas_
Community Member

I'm having the same problem as well.  I have disable all scheduling, all learning, all home/away assist, the only thing that makes sense is what the one user mentioned about people literally not moving in front of the actual thermostat.  If I stay up late (it's right outside my office) and pass by it once in a while, I don't notice the problem, but when we all go to bed, it absolutely will not heat the house to the temperature I set it to.  I also have 4 temp sensors all over the house, but setting it to those does not solve the problem either.  About to put a metronome in front of the **bleep** thing so it senses movement all night and doesn't turn itself off.  It's been -10 or lower at night, and this is a **bleep** thermostat, not an AI supercomputer trying to solve global warming.  If we set the temperature high, heat the house!  

Alex27
Community Member

I’m having a similar problem. The heat runs fine from 8pm-9am but during the day it shows orange as if it is heating but nothing is happening. I had reset the scheduling, ran a test (fan and cooling works fine) but no heat will come out during the day. Any advice would be helpful 

Slainte
Community Member

Follow up to my post regarding heat shutting off during the night, had a HVAC tech out, he cleaned the flame sensor & my furnace has been working fine since. -He didn’t think the nest had anything to do with my issues. 

Nestusername
Community Member

Following - having the same issue. Works fine during the day but drops to 60 degrees at night. 

Jbull31
Community Member

Are you using a common wire?

No I do not but I intentionally purchased the Nest Learning as it says it doesn’t require the C wire

BGray30
Community Member

Having the same issue. Anyone know of a fix?

cmh
Community Member

Same problem, but now it's happening at all hours. I set to 72, it reaches the temperature and then just turns off and won't reconnect if the temperature drops.

I just had my Nest replaced thinking it was the actual hardware. A brand new Nest does the exact same thing (My set temperature is 72, it says it will reach the desired temp in 1 hour, but temp keeps dropping until I spin the dial multiple times).

HVAC just came out and said everything looks good furnace-wise so this is clearly a Nest problem. 

This needs to be looked into by Google. I can't have inconsistent heat in a house with young children. I've already spent close to $500 investigating this and am about to change providers if this can't be resolved.

The Twitter and Google chat customer service has also been no help.  

These details are important. I had my house set to 72 when it wasn't working. A few nights the last week I set it to 74 at night and it seems to have been working. Not sure if the specific temp is the issue, or if I just got lucky and it worked a few nights. But try changing it and seeing if it works!

I'll report back if it seems to work (although 74 is too warm, may help diagnose at least)

Thanks for the response! So no additional problems once you set it to 74? 

For the last few nights it's been on. I think one night it turned off again, but it was because my schedule defaults the temp to 72.

I will try 74 for a few more nights and confirm if it is working

Just replying directly to your comment in case you missed the notification, as a new user posted the more likely solution today!

Nestusername
Community Member

It’s been a few days and seems like turning off the safety mode did the trick. Not an ideal fix, I hope google corrects this soon. But this is a good workaround for now. 

Thank you! This seems to be the trick!

I was replying to some earlier posts and thought that changing the temp to a different degree might work. Looking at my settings, I can see the safety temps are set to off (must have modified these myself when I was troubleshooting other settings).

Nestusername
Community Member

Sadly it looks like I spoke to soon. My heat worked well for about 5 days after having turned the  safety mode turn off. However, last night my heat dropped last night from 69 to 63. Google please fix this issue. Not only is this costly, it is super dangerous.

Krash
Community Member

I too found myself here because of this issue. The **bleep** thing just doesn’t work anymore after years of mostly trouble free life. Only at night when it’s cold as hell do we play this game. All day my heater will roast you out in 1 degree increments. But not during prime time. Just a pathetic cool breeze till it I crank it to 10 degrees over desired setting. I’m about to rip the thing off the wall I’m so pissed at this thing. Whatever eco tweak settings google decided my heater needs is obviously not working. Back to analog for me

Nj1
Community Member

Hello- anyone actually figure out a solution to this problem ? 

Cao5032
Community Member

Same here losing my mind! I have a baby and this is really messing up his sleep routine, not to mention hes freezing! Worked fine for a few months now here we are with it just not heating during the coldest hours.. Ugh hoping for a resolution but may just return to my old thermostat.

Lmmmmm
Community Member

Same. This is absolutely infuriating. 

Apbrenner
Community Member

Same friggin issue on both of my 3rd gen devices.. about to throw them out the window.