cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hold Temp Indefinitely

dianathurman
Community Member

Is there a way to set the Hold Temp indefinitely?

1 Recommended Answer

glog
Community Member

thanks.  i turned off schedule and it holds the temperature.  

View Recommended Answer in original post

16 REPLIES 16

johnCNA
Bronze
Bronze

The Nest doesn't have a Hold function.  Do you have a Learning model or have a scheduling program set? If you do not, it should hold your set temperature indefinitely.

glog
Community Member

thanks.  i turned off schedule and it holds the temperature.  

Knitman
Community Member

I have a 3rd gen learning. I want the temp to stay the same 24/7. Even with a schedule it doesn’t come on. I always have to do it manually but then it heats up and stops at set temp but doesn’t stay on so temp drops again.

Mine does this too, did you figure out how to keep it from changing?

glog
Community Member

I was told to turn off the auto schedule. It's in setting. I did this but it still turned on. I had to delete all my schedule settings every time I go away and want to keep it at a temperature. Maybe I'm missing something but it's a pain to have to read structure the schedule after I return

One possible work-around is to change the mode to Heat-Cool. Each mode has its own schedule so changing to H+C would have no schedule set and would maintain whatever it was set to. Switch back to Heat mode (or Cooling mode) to resume your programmed schedule. No need to delete it and re-program again. 

Knitman
Community Member

In the end I just left it as it was. It works. We just went thru a -4c bad weather period and our stayed warm. Neither of us have felt too cold or cold.

I don't have a learning thermostat but a regular Nest with a schedule program which I want to temporarily override while I am on vacation.

Ausmint
Community Member

This is ridiculous. I set up Nest thermostats in my vacation house  in Rhode Island last summer. Now I want them to hold at 55’ (the eco temperature of 45’ is too low when it is really cold). It seems to be impossible, and I’m having to monitor them continually as they will only hold the higher temperature for two hours. 

Alic89
Community Member

Mine was doing something similar but with heat, we wanted AC constantly on but there were times it would shut off or even raise temp causing the house to be hot (Florida).

We did a factory reset on ours and went through all the steps of set up again and haven’t had a problem since. 

Ausmint
Community Member

Thank you! I am in Australia at the moment, and so am a bit nervous about about doing anything drastic. I might just have to wait till the spring and the danger of the house freezing is past. Meanwhile I’ll just have to keep monitoring them every day. 
it does seem to be a design flaw; my old Honeywell thermostats I could just set and leave them for the winter. 

I think the nest is very poorly designed and the interface is absolutely horrible.  It's not very good for anything if you leave the house for extended periods. I will be replacing mine. 

Thank you, that is what I’m finding. What are you replacing it with? It still reverts to 45°F (Eco) all the time, which is not high enough if there is a cold snap so I’m having to monitor it continuously.

zunkman
Community Member

Keep in mind that your Nest has 3 schedules.  1 for Heat Only, 1 for Cool Only, and 1 for Heat/Cool.  Chances are, you only use one or two of those schedules.  If you want the Nest to stay at a set temp indefinitely, just switch it to which ever mode has a blank schedule on your Nest, set the desired temp, and let it go.  Since there is no schedule, it will never switch to another temp.  Just be sure not to use the heat schedule if you want cooling, and vice versa.

So in other words, you're admitting the Google Nest Learning Thermostat has a MAJOR ISSUE and the temporary work around is to switch to a mode that has no programmed schedule. All of this would be solved by simply adding a "hold"  feature, which still hasn't happened. Something every thermostat I've ever had before this Google unit has already had. Also, when summer comes around I will be using the heat/cool mode as cool nights and hot days occur, so I will not have an option for an unscheduled mode at that point unfortunately.

I solved issue by buying a Tado thermostat which works easily and simply.