cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How to update Nest Thermostat before Power Connector compatibility

Whiterice336
Community Member

I recently purchased a Nest Thermostat and Nest Power Connector. The power connector is installed. My issue is that the thermostat is not compatible with the power connector without an update, I cannot update without WiFi, and cannot set up WiFi without power. The thermostat has batteries installed and says they are charged.

It is a forced air system with two original wires, a red R wire and a white W wire.

Can someone help me out?

1 Recommended Answer

Looks like the issue was with the wiring in the house. This issue has been solved and the thermostat now works correctly. Thank you all for your help

View Recommended Answer in original post

19 REPLIES 19

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you have a Gen 1 thermostat and new batteries installed, you should be able to use the Nest App and establish a WiFi connection. You can also go into setup on the display and then Network and set up the WiFi. 

The AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

@CoolingWizard 
I installed the Nest app which directed me to use the Google Home app to install the thermostat.

When I use the Google Home app, I am unable to set up the thermostat. When I go through the steps listed in the app, it says it is not able to detect the W or R wires even when the power is on. I select next and the app wants to run a power test. However, the app says it is not able to run the power test and asks me to ensure the power is on.

The display on the thermostat says I can’t set up WiFi because there is no power.

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Yes indeed, I forget that the thermostat you have does not support the Nest App; it only supports the Google Home App.  Why Google did that makes no sense to me. This may be a possible work around that might help you.

The white wire might have access to the common side of the induction coil in the gas valve. If you place the white wire in the C terminal. Make sure you do not try to turn on the heat, just run the power test with the white wire in the C.  If we’re lucky, we can draw about .85 mA and that will be enough to power the power the thermostat.  

The AC Cooling Wizard

If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

@CoolingWizard 

Below is a photo of the power connector installed to the furnace. When power is supplied to the furnace, and the furnace automatically runs, the thermostat plugged into the wall says there is no power and cannot locate the W and R wires.

When you say plug the white wire to the C terminal, are you referring to the C terminal the thermostat plugs into it are you referring to the C terminal for the power connector?

https://imgur.com/gallery/N2JS8Jz

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Whiterice336 : What In was trying to help you do is get the thermostat to charge. I was suggesting to not use the power connector yet.   Move the white wire at the furnace to the C terminal. And at the thermostat move the white wire to the C terminal. The the red wire connected to the R at each end.  Power everything back up and you should have power but no heat. Allow the thermostat to charge up, then perform the power test.  You will get a warning about no W or Y. Ignore this. Get the nest charged up, then update the software and complete the power test.  

Once the power test finishes, the software is updated, then Power down, and put the power connector back in place.  Wired the way you have it wired in the video. 

The AC Cooling Wizard

@CoolingWizard 

I removed the power connector and inserted the W wire into the C terminal on both the thermostat and the furnace. Power is on to the furnace (though no heat is produced). The display on the thermostat still says I can’t run the power test because I have no power.

Hello folks,

Thanks for the continued support, @CoolingWizard.

@Whiterice336, could you also help us check the power readings on your thermostat's Equipment settings? Also, are you getting any exact wiring reports or message codes?

I'll look forward to your response.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Whiterice336,

I'm checking back in — how's it going? Please let us know some of the details so we can move forward.

Regards,
Mark

Looks like the issue was with the wiring in the house. This issue has been solved and the thermostat now works correctly. Thank you all for your help

Hello Whiterice336,

I appreciate you posting and updating us on your efforts to address your concern and find a fix. It looks like we can consider this one complete, so I will lock the thread within 24 hours unless I can help out with anything else.

Regards,

Mark

I have been receiving code e297. The thermostat states it has no power but that the batteries are fine. I have also replaced the batteries. When the thermostat runs it’s set up, it can’t detect the W and R wires even when power is supplied to the furnace

Patrick_Caezza
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Whiterice336 

What type of heating system do you have?

Can you post a picture of the original thermostat wiring?

@CoolingWizard 

There is no Gen 1 Thermostat except for the Nest Learning Thermostat which the OP clearly doesn't have. Please use the correct terminology not to confuse those seeking help.

To ensure that I see your reply, please tag me using @Patrick_Caezza

@Patrick_Caezza, there is a indeed three Nest thermostats. They are:

Nest Thermostat <— first generation, the OP has this one. Only works with Google Home App

Nest Learning Thermostat, <— 2nd and 3rd Generation works with Nest App and Google Home App

Nest Thermostat E

The AC Cooling Wizard

@Patrick_Caezza 

https://imgur.com/gallery/B2Dp0p5 

i do not have a picture of the original wiring. Above is a photo of the current wiring to the nest thermostat.

It is a forced air system

@Whiterice336 

Your picture is of a 2-wire heat-only system that requires a C wire to be installed.

You also have the Google Nest thermostat that doesn't require an update to work with the Google Nest Power Connector. You have to have the Power connector installed before you set up the thermostat using the Google Home app.

You need to look in the furnace and see if there is a terminal for a C wire. If there is, then wiring the power connector is easy. You can ignore the G wire in the drawing.

2023-02-12_012355.jpg

If there isn't a C terminal, you will need an external 24Vac transformer and wire it like this.

2022-04-06_182952.jpg2022-03-01_173137.jpg

To ensure that I see your reply, please tag me using @Patrick_Caezza

Hello folks,

I wanted to ensure that everything was covered here.

Thanks for all your help here, @CoolingWizard and @Patrick_Caezza.

@Whiterice336, I hope you've got the answer you're looking for. If you're still in need of any assistance, feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Mark

I have not yet been able to solve the problem

@Patrick_Caezza 

Below is a photo of the power connector installed to the furnace. When power is supplied to the furnace, and the furnace is automatically running, the thermostat plugged into the wall said there is no power and is not able to locate either the W or R wires.

i can take additional pictures of the wiring is that would be helpful

https://imgur.com/gallery/N2JS8Jz

Patrick I am afraid you are incorrect about the software update.  The basic Nest Thermostat does indeed require a software update to recognize the Nest Power Connector.  Only the Nest Learning Thermostat generation 2 and generation 3 do not require the software update first.

The AC Cooling Wizard