cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Nest is set at 68 degrees but it’s only 65 in the house. Why?

dkp
Community Member

25 REPLIES 25

laurentbourg
Bronze
Bronze

Have you just installed your Nest or moved it from one location to another? The Nest takes time to calibrate its sensor. 

I have two. One is sensitive to 1 degree, The other is sensitive between 2 and 3 degrees. Is there a way to calibrate sensitivity.

Elswann
Community Member

Let me guess...6.2-22? Same ol' story...

Pretty much everybody by now with a Nest thermostat 3rd Gen, including me, I have 3 of them, is on  6.2-22. Not everybody is experiencing issues. 

Elswann
Community Member

Congratulations. The one person here who doesn't have the issue. I've had my nests for years- this is the issue. 

Elswann
Community Member

I can assure you when you are waking up to 60 degrees -- you won't be on here championing every fix but the obvious one. 

All of these people that have the heat issue are on 6-2.22 and I guarantee NONE of them have changed any wires or backplates etc. It's a bug in the software...plan and simple. 

What is that such a tough thing for you to acknowledge? You think all these people started getting the same error at the same time by happenstance? 

I am sure you are very frustrated, and that you have a real issue impacting your life, but systems are complex and jumping on the band wagon blaming a software upgrade, simply because it is the only visual moving piece, is not necessarily the right approach, at least for scientific minded people. For one, it is not taking in considering that hardware can break randomly and unexpectedly, that the sensitivity of sensors over time can be altered, there are numerous other potential reasons. It would be more constructive to understand what is your specific use case versus another one that does not encounter the issue. 

Okay Laurentbourg...let's talk scientific...so if you have multiple nests...and both stop working correctly at the same time. 

You swap there location...same results. 

You wire the old unit...works.

You keep one off and one on...runs for 5 exact mins and stops. Turn off- back on - runs 5 mins and off. 

Reset system etc etc. 

Is not the hardware. It's this update and there is a reason there are threads on top of threads with people with the SAME issue. That's not a random hardware issue at all these different locations. 

If I had one unit...I might be willing to listen...but I have two both are doing what multiple users here report...I can replicate failure results and occasionally get it to run long enough to heat. 

Everything started with this update...look at the forums...no one reported anything similar to this prior to the 6.2-22 release. 

Coincidence? 

One thing changed. 

One variable. 

6.2-22

That's science. 

Your science works this way: one variable changed which means all Nest users got impacted. That statement is not true. I am not saying that the root cause of this particular issue is not the upgrade, and I understand your frustration and drive to complain to get the attention of Google. I am a user and I am on your side, I just don’t like jumping into conclusions when it’s not a product I have designed and implemented myself. Btw what is your HVAC setup, is it just a standard stage 1 heat, stage 1 cool?

And regarding something you could do as a next step that is actionable, would be to replace one of your Nests with a new one. If it does work you could discuss further a potential free replacement with Google support. 

Elswann
Community Member

Yes-- but swapping locations would prove if one was defective...just like getting a new one.  

If I buy another device...it will NOT be Nest and I've had it for nearly years. 

If only one was bad the "good" one would work correctly in either location. 

It's the same issue no matter where I place either device. 

If I turn them both on...it turns off immediately. 

Nothing changed on my end and my old thermostats still work. So clearly this update is the issue. 

My system is three years old and it comes on immediately if I switch to AC and turn it down to 55. 

What doesn't work is exactly what everyone here has talked about...failure to heat to temperature. Shows its on when it's not. Runs sporadically unless I turn it off and on and reset it until it kicks on. 

just to clarify, when you say 10 years, you mean you have 1st generation Nests or did you upgrade to 3rd generation over the years?

Elswann
Community Member

*nearly 10 years

Elswann
Community Member

For the two we are talking about, I've had them in place and working perfectly since April 2016. 

Nov. 23 is when the issue started. (Unless I deleted another email) 

But which generation are those? (1st, 2nd, or third)

Display 3.4

Backplate 5.3 

When they install it says Nest Learning Termostat. 

I don't see a specific model number in the settings unless I missed it. 

Those are third gen, released in 2015. Since you have them for 6 years, do you think it is possible that the hardware has evolved since then and that swapping your two thermostat does not validate the same way as if you were getting a new one? 

Elswann
Community Member

No because they worked perfectly until this update. 

Elswann
Community Member

As a matter of fact they work perfectly if I flip to AC and turn it below the current temp. 

The issues people have said here over and over are accurate to what's happened. 

I can replicate results - it's 6.2-22 not a doubt in my mind and I've spoke with Google about it.  

What if the update impacts Nest thermostats differently depending on the backplate version, display version, particular settings etc? If it were me I would try this simple test as it will give more weight to your assumption. 

Elswann
Community Member

Sure - but an update by Google that makes their products stop working should require an update to fix. 

No one bought Nests to have them stop working after an update. Google should send out an updated software version like they would for phones etc. 

That is assuming the update is the root cause. Doing that provides additional useful information that could lead in that direction as well as a more clear cut case for a replacement or other way forward.  

Ely
Community Member

I have 12 nests in my house, a few of them consistently show 75 degrees and not running, I will enter the room with another thermostat and it will show 69 degrees. Only way to get the heat up is to turn the nest to over 75. Seems pretty crappy. I have also moved these around the house and reset them they do the same thing in different locations

CPM_007
Community Member

Did you ever figure out what the issue is?  I am having an issue where it shows my temperature in the house is decreasing, yet the heat is supposedly on.  I may just swap out my Google Nest with a regular thermostat.