cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Gen 3 Can't Detect "C" Wire

Tylerrc34
Community Member

Here's what happened...

I've had this thermostat in my house for 5 months, works perfect. Two days ago, I saw on the screen that the battery was dead. I pulled it off the mounting plate, replaced the batteries and for a few hours, it acted haywire. It would flash between all kinds of screens saying it couldn't connect to wifi, no power, starting in 2:00 and so on. I would hear the fan kick on for about 2 seconds and kick off. 

Then I let it sit without batteries for a few hours, tried a factory reset and reinstalled the system on my app. I basically reset the whole system. I also killed the whole house breaker and turned it back on too. Now it can't detect the "C" wire. I tested voltage between wires and there's 28.2 volts between the "C" and a couple others. 

It's not a compatibility issue because it's been working fine for months. 

My big question is, has anyone heard of this specific issue or does anyone know if you can test a Nest with a multimeter?

1 REPLY 1

laurentbourg
Bronze
Bronze

Suggest you call Google support and open a case with them for a replacement, your Nest thermostat 3rd Gen should be under warranty since you used it only for 5 months.