cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Temperature Sensors -- access data in API

giraffeinatutu
Community Member

I have a NEST Thermostat and (3) sensors installed throughout the house.

They are all working properly (not a device problem)

Need to get data from API for ambient temperature for each of the sensors.

Currently the API only shows Thermostat as the device.

How do I access this through API? --- Is there another way to scrape this data?

13 REPLIES 13

hefelumpman
Community Member

Similarly, I'm looking to get the temperature sensor data via an API - I would happily buy a bunch more sensors if I knew I could read the data from an API

ab84
Community Member

Just adding to this request for other temperature sensor data. I downloaded nest data from google takeout, and I'm only getting the 1 thermostat info, not the additional google temperature sensor I can see in the app. 

jull1234
Community Member

Please add temperature sensor data to the API.

t-o-m
Community Member

I, too, want to see the temperature sensor data available via the SDM API. This seems like an easy addition to the spec. When will it be available?

brmize75
Community Member

Please add sensor data to the API so that we can use it. 

morella321
Community Member

Agree this is a must-have feature

ab84
Community Member

Just to add: I had some success with submitting a request through https://support.google.com/policies/contact/sar,. I got some data after a couple of emails, but months later, so pretty useless. It just proves that they have the data, which could have legal consequences for nest and google in places like europe where they have data availability requirements.  

brmize75
Community Member

Yes, they do have the data and it gets read by the Nest app. I have 2 additional sensors in a couple of rooms in my house and I use one of them as the one to trigger my heat/air to run. The app shows me the status of the thermostat along with the two additional sensors. So I know they have it and that means there are endpoints that they access to get that data, but they aren't exposing those to us. But I don't know why they aren't exposing them. Oh, I'll add that whichever sensor is set to be your main one is the temp data that comes back from a call.

Just to check, if I schedule different sensors for different times, does it show the temp of the selected sensor when requested and not the thermostat itself?

Tirumalaraju66
Community Member

Please add temperature sensor support to the api so that we would be able to manager temperature sensor settings via api

Phoibos
Community Member

And I thought I was just being stupid. I have looked for the temperature sensor data everywhere in the Takeout downloads and couldn't find them. I don't need access via the API, but I need to be able to review them so I can adjust heating based on a room with intentionally lower temperatures than the rest of the house. But I don't know the room's daily temperature profile and wouldn't even know what targets to set so I don't overheat other parts of the house if I based heating on this room.

This is a very puzzling decision by Google to not expose this data even though it is available.

Google, please add temperature sensor data to the downloads in takeout!

Kary993
Community Member

Yes, i have been unable to access the secondary temperature sensors I have in my two zones in the house.  Really throwing off my management software because the Thermostat position is not what we want in terms of set temperatures, we want the satellite sensors to be reading the set temperatures like the Nest app already does.  Obviously there is a way to get those temperatures since the app has it, just not in the API.  

Please add to the API as it would be really helpful!

bostwickenator
Community Member

Lets bring this back up the board again. Come on Device Access team. Let us access these devices.