cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Thermostat Gen 2 dial issue - cannot connect

Reneec89
Community Member

Im having a similiar issue, as others have shared. Scrolling dial is non-responsive. The scrolling is also glitchy, where the dial selection moves on it's own periodically. Ive tried restarting, but now I cannot even reconnect to wifi, because I cannot select the right wifi to connect to. 

2 REPLIES 2

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The 2nd gen has an optical sensor on the inside that tracks the dial spin, which may have faulted. To check your warranty status and options, contact the Google Nest support team directly.

1. Go to Contact Us - Google Nest Help
  2. Select an appropriate product or category, type a brief description of the issue, then click Next.
  3. Click Other, then click Next step.
  4. In the Resources section, click Next step.
  5. Choose to get a phone call, call or chat with the team, depending on availability in your country.

If it is the sensor, I'm not sure if you've noticed any strange temperature changes, it could be registering a turn of the dial when there isn't actually any input. If your warranty has expired, it's probably unlikely Nest will be able to assist unfortunately.

Reneec89
Community Member

Thanks @David_K. Support provided minimal assessment to trouble shoot, and yes subsequently recommended that I purchase a new unit. I did not purchase but inherited the unit in home sale, so they didn't do much to validate any existing warranty. Expected conclusions.

I'm dissappointed, however, that support didn't offer an incentive, even 10% to purchase or erecycle the faulty unit, thereafter. IMO, there's room for improvement for customer retention, here.

Whether I purchase a new unit from Nest, I'm sure I can find at least some small discount offer