cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest app saying it’s not compatible with our current wiring

Nlight
Community Member

the nest app is saying our wiring is not compatible, but our home is only 20 years old, not high voltage, and I can’t find any reason online why it wouldn’t be. 

we have letter at the top with no wire in it that’s says RC then the below all have wires 

R Red 

C white

W another white 

Y yellow 

G green

O brown 

B blue 

Can anyone help me? I just moved in 

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Sometimes both the O and B wires are connected at the thermostat but the wires are not actually attached to anything at the other end on the system control board, so it's worth checking that.

Strictly speaking Nest Thermostats are not directly compatible with systems that need both O and B wires. Those wires control when your heat pump cools or heats your home. It is possible to add a relay to resolve this, usually at a zone control panel, in order to make it compatible but for that, I'd recommend consulting professional help. I'll link below guidance on how to do that.

Get installation help or HVAC service from a professional - Google Nest Help

View Recommended Answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Sometimes both the O and B wires are connected at the thermostat but the wires are not actually attached to anything at the other end on the system control board, so it's worth checking that.

Strictly speaking Nest Thermostats are not directly compatible with systems that need both O and B wires. Those wires control when your heat pump cools or heats your home. It is possible to add a relay to resolve this, usually at a zone control panel, in order to make it compatible but for that, I'd recommend consulting professional help. I'll link below guidance on how to do that.

Get installation help or HVAC service from a professional - Google Nest Help