cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest integration with Home Assistant AND Alexa broken

PeterHvD
Community Member

Since Wednesday, my Nest thermostat is no longer available in both the Home Assistant and Alexa skill.

I have completely re-setup both integrations and, whilst they can both log in to my Google/Nest account and offer the thermostat in the list of devices to be made available, once that is completed neither integration is able to find the thermostat.

There are a lot of people on the Home Assistant integration's Github (https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/80675) saying the same thing, so it must be a problem with Google.

1 Recommended Answer

PeterHvD
Community Member

Yes, it's working now. Allan Porter, who created the Home Assistant integration, said that he had a conversation with the Nest people and they confirmed that they'd made a change which broke everything, and they've now undone the change. Huzzah, and much thanks to Allan!

View Recommended Answer in original post

77 REPLIES 77

tim427
Community Member

For what it's worth; same problem here 🙂

Srene33
Community Member

This is what has happened with me as well. I thought it was a problem with my setup. Alexa no longer works for my Google nest thermostat. I have tried resetting up. There have been some improvements introduced for Google Assist with Nest I wonder if this has stopped it working with Alexa? 

brhahlen
Community Member

Same issue here...

Srene33
Community Member

Same problem here. My Nest is no longer being recognised by Alexa as it states there is  problem with the thermostat in Alexa. 

michaelkennedy1
Community Member

I am also having this issue - using Home Assistant

denham
Community Member

Also having this issue using Home Assistant

Gertjuh
Community Member

Same problem here. Google please look into this issue.

MeeTHeeD
Community Member

same for me.

the same here, that I am able to see the results from my Nest Thermostat, when I change it, but when I change it via HA, I am getting

Error setting HVAC mode: Error from API: 400: FAILED_PRECONDITION: sdm.devices.commands.ThermostatTemperatureSetpoint.SetHeat command not allowed in current thermostat mode.: Bad Request

here is the error from my HA logs  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-V7ENo01vmr1JonhnPxhQZYNSHEmrSRl/view?usp=sharing

I have exactly the same error - it applies however you call the APInit seems 

Rv2
Community Member

Same here, for all 6 thermostats. Any feedback from uncle Google? 

TeeDolder
Community Member

Same issue here...

Outpost33
Community Member

Same issue with my setup

Robertvl
Community Member

Same issue here... Home Asisstant stopped working yesterday.

Otherwise; Nice moment to replace Nest with TADO if this does not get fixed before it gets colder 🤔.

Rv2
Community Member

Tomorrow afternoon I'll install two energy meters on the heating water pump to be able to get the state of the Nest and give order to heating pump to prepare hot water. 

trippel_b
Community Member

Also having this issue

Binkydoodle
Community Member

Yep, same here

blacknell
Community Member

I'm getting the same. The 2 devices simply won't appear.

Removed integration from Home Assistant and also completely unlinked from HA, switched off SDM partner devices and back on, plus renamed them in Nest App and Google Home app and re-enabled. They simply won't appear.

I'm getting some data in the log which implies some messages are being passed - such as this line

2022-10-24 08:11:47.462 DEBUG (MainThread) [google_nest_sdm.event] EventMessage raw_data={'eventId': '566e8f12-b4d6-4b9b-bda6-fbd38ee5a9ee', 'timestamp': '2022-10-24T07:11:43.990Z', 'resourceUpdate': {'name': 'enterprises/REDACTED/devices/AVPHwEtysBUiIWa1eVUxYDOS-okL16-fs_Ah1bo3VKaDY693KO49OAd1cnb9-sSdZxnZYR_sOrXVFFGGsiQjdFcO6FNZzg', 'traits': {'sdm.devices.traits.Temperature': {'ambientTemperatureCelsius': 19.23999}}}, 'userId': 'REDACTED', 'resourceGroup': ['enterprises/REDACTED/devices/AVPHwEtysBUiIWa1eVUxYDOS-okL16-fs_Ah1bo3VKaDY693KO49OAd1cnb9-sSdZxnZYR_sOrXVFFGGsiQjdFcO6FNZzg']}

I wonder if people could post the device make and firmware level? Might give a clue to the device(s) affected.

Heat Link: V2.5. SW 2.1.2-1

Thermostat: display-3.4. SW 5.9.5-2

Thermostat 1: Display 3.4 sw 5.9.5-2
Heatlink 1: Amber 2.5 sw 2.1.2-1

Thermostat 2: Display  2.12 sw 5.9.4-5
Heatlink 2: no info sw

Thermostat 3: Display 3.4 sw 5.9.5-2
Heatlink 3: Amber 2.5 św 2.12-1

Gertjuh
Community Member

I'm not sure the problem is with Google. I'm getting a Error 400: redirect_uri_mismatch. In the details it says that the request is to https://my.home-assistant.io/redirect/oauth. I'm sure I used "https://<url>/auth/external/callback" for the Authorized redirect URIs under Credentials in the Google Cloud Console.

Robertvl
Community Member

This is an separate problem.

The new auth URL just IS https://my.home-assistant.io/redirect/oauth .

You need to connect your instance to https://my.home-assistant.io (just go to the link and link your instance), then you setup the new redirect URL.

After some minutes till hours you can re-connect your Nest integration with the new auth URL. But no themostats will show up...

And the fact that no thermostat will show up, seems to be an issue at Google.

Gertjuh
Community Member

Missed this part. Many thanks for explaining to me!

Gertjuh
Community Member

I filled in the external url  on which my HA is accessable in my.home-assistant, changes the redirect URI in the Cloud Console and now eveything is working as before. Thermostats in HA are working and in Node-Red also. Thanks!

Robertvl
Community Member

Hmm, thats sounds good? Here no change, still no thermostat. Also after refreshing the integration.

Don't have time to remove/re-integrate the integration right now... But hoping this is a sign that the problems get fixed?

Rv2
Community Member

I've done the full reintegration. No luck. 

Rv2
Community Member

Could you please describe the steps that you have taken? Thank you. 

Gertjuh
Community Member

Hi, I don't know if I did something different than most describe here. After the tip from @Robertvl I gave rights to access my HA instance and it worked. I never removed the thermostats from my configuration. Maybe thats my luck?

blackie
Community Member

@Gertjuh: Could you please confirm which address is working for you in google console setting "Credentials" / NestHAWebServer under "OAuth 2.0 Client IDs" / "Authorised redirect URIs":

1. https://my.home-assistant.io/redirect/oauth
2. https://my.home-assistant.io/auth/external/callback

I'm not sure whether this also must be changed or not. Thanks

There seem to be folk posting about oauth problems.

This topic is for discussion around the fact the Google apis aren’t working at all. 

mydevicesarebro
Community Member

Same issue here but with Alexa nd nest.

Ccamgem
Community Member

Same here, Alexa working fine for the past few years, now broken. 

It's working in the Nest app, but not on ANY Alexa device - Echo Show / Alexa App and no voice control on any Alexa speaker. 

I tried a full removal of skill and devices but re adding etc just results in same error. Must be something Google's end but can't find any other mentions of it online

Yeah, I tried this too. 

Still not working

stefansnk
Community Member

Same problem Home Assistant Nest integration, device unavailable ..

Rv2
Community Member

What should we do to get feedback from Uncle Google? Throw the thermostats and migrate to another vendor? 

Robertvl
Community Member

Feels like Google just does not care about users who use custom home automation/voice assitants..

They only care about their apps/own integrations. If there is an issue  outside their own apps, they just don't care anymore. 

This issue started about a week ago, still no answer from Google. Just nothing from Google.

I think I will put my Nest Thermostat for sale this week if there is no update... It's getting colder next month, and don't want to miss my automations.

1 month without automations means more gas cost... So replacing my Google thermostat is cheaper then just don't use the HA integration...

Rv2
Community Member

I've already done a hot fix with two ESP connects to the water pumps. When they become online I start the heating pump, but I lost the humidy control because I cannot fetch anymore the data. And the lack of the ability to see the current temperature in all the rooms from one screen is a big minus. 

Robertvl
Community Member

If your using the thermostat only for the temperature sensor, why not just get an Wifi/Zigbee humidy and temperature sensor for 10 dollars on AliExpress?

Think this will be enough for your use-case.

Got 2 tuya wifi sensors in my house works like charm. Only using Nest to controll my boiler... So I have no other option to switch to Tado if this issue keeps going on...

oh the irony, advising how to get rid of buggy thermostats on the Google Nest community forum... And still Google doesn't like like they care at all.