cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest learning thermostat gen3 weird power issue

Min
Community Member

After installing this new Nest learning thermostat, my furnace started to behave weirdly: when the temperature falls, the furnace turns on and the blower turns on, but then both the furnace and blower would suddenly turn off at the same time after being on for maybe 20 seconds, just to restart in a few seconds. It doesn’t always do this but it occasionally cycle like this 2-3 times before the temperature is reached. I reinstalled my old thermostat and the furnace stops doing that, so I did some research and I think it could be a power issue with my Nest since I don’t have C wire. However, the voltage always stays above 3.80V, and both Voc and Vin stays above 30V (even when the furnace is running. Below google Q&A says it should be around 6V since I don’t have C wire… Not sure whether this is an issue) and lin has always been 40mA too (even when the furnace is running). Does this look like a power issue? or is there any potential reason on why my furnace does that?

If there isn't a C wire in your thermostat:

• Voc: 29 to 42V
  • Vin:
    • 29 to 42V when your system is not running
    • 6 to 7V when your system is running
  • Iin: 20 to 40 mA

If there is a C wire in your thermostat:

• Voc: 29 to 42V
  • Vin: 29 to 42V
  • Iin: 100 or 200 mA
2 REPLIES 2

photonacl
Community Member

The on/off cycle of your furnace may be due to the "pulsing" issue when you don't have a C wire. Here is an article talking about it - https://smartthermostatguide.com/tag/nest-pulsing-problem/

Meanwhile, although I don't have the pulsing issue (so far) for having no C wire, I do get the same reading of "vin" being always above 30V even when then system is running like you do. Apparently the documentation says it should be around 6-7V. Did you happen to get to the bottom of this?

I’m have a very similar problem here. Vin is always 30+, even when system is on. Furnace on and off frequently, takes forever to reach the temp. Already called a furnace tech, and according to him, this is the battery issue with Nest.  I’m wondering if you’ve figured out why the vin is always above 30.