cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest thermostat on stand, not wired to wall

Annakmac
Community Member

My Nest was installed by an electrician in April 2022. It has completely stopped working a few days ago (January 2023). Initially it wasn’t hold power, then dead completely. 
I have ordered a new system now as I need it working asap. Do I need to replace the existing heat link with the one which came in the box with the new display?? When trying to pair the old heat link with the new display it says the code (from the side underneath the heat link) doesn’t match.

Do I need an electrician to do this?

Thank you for any help in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I would recommend using the new heat link with the new thermostat, as opposed to trying to use the old heat link with the new thermostat because the new thermostat and heat link are already paired and ready to be installed right out of the box, so there’s no need to worry about pairing. During the initial installation and setup, the Nest thermostat automatically checks its wireless connection to the heat link.

As for whether you need an electrician, it depends how comfortable you are with the electrical wiring. Strictly speaking you can set it up yourself with most systems. If you struggle at any point, I would recommend contacting a local HVAC engineer or contact a Nest Pro to install it for you.

Install your Nest thermostat

Annakmac
Community Member

Thanks for replying David. I actually didn’t need to get the new heat link installed. Received a call from the Google Nest support and together manage to pair the new display and old heat link with the code on the inside of the heat link. Very impressed with the support and delighted all is working again 🙂

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No problem, glad to hear you're back up and running!