cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest thermostat won't connect to app

Bob3
Community Member

My 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat won't connect to the app. Everything else is good, including Wi-Fi. I tried both the QR code and the entry key. The QR code tries to connect then goes to an error. The entry key hangs and does nothing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gypsyldy
Community Member

This is a paste of @Stevew89 post, since you can't locate it.  This worked for many folks, including me.

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
2.) On your thermostat, go to Settings and then Reset and then WWN Connection.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
4.) Go to Settings and then Network and reconnect your thermostat to Wi-Fi
5.) Go to Settings and then Nest app and get the entry key.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

View solution in original post

158 REPLIES 158

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Sorry is this a new issue (as in it used to connect but suddenly stopped working) or is this a new install or setup that you are trying to complete?  It may simply be the app install on your phone, in which case I would suggest deleting the app, rebooting your phone, then reinstalling the app, this will help to clear any potentially "gummed up" settings that could be stopping the process. 

Ok. Sud I do that even tho one therm connected to App and one is not. 

DJZ
Community Member

Did not work

Those things didn't work.  This is a replacement thermostat (under warranty).  When I reinstalled the app, it immediately found my other Nest Learning Thermostat, but not the replacement (new) one.  This is very frustrating.

GotKnox
Community Member

I can’t even add mine now. No one seems to have an answer 

mrwedge
Community Member

Had same problem hired HVAC pro who got it working. Recently had software update and now can’t use iPhone to change settings 🤬

Omar67
Community Member

lol mine just started acting up again, I know it's nothing any of us did wrong

gypsyldy
Community Member

This is a paste of @Stevew89 post, since you can't locate it.  This worked for many folks, including me.

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

Received a replacement under warranty for one of mine. Could not set up on the app for the life of me. The above is the fix. Thx

mrwedge
Community Member

Will try! Tired of wasting all the time spent!

TheRick
Community Member

This does not 100% work.  I can’t even get my thermostat added to my google home app so there is nothing to remove.   Also, my nest does not have a way to connect to the wi-fi via the thermostat.  It must be done via the app.  I’ve reset the thermostat multiple times and my google app can never find the thermostat.  The other two previously added had no issues.  

Omar67
Community Member

I took mine back to the factory settings and using my iPhone with the nest app, I scanned the QR codes and was able to install them, even installed 3 for a customer of mine 

Nichop
Community Member

Thanks this worked but not sure why I lost the QR code scan option and only had option to enter entry key

leemi
Community Member

Thank you so much for above help. I literally spent 5 hours trying to connect to my Nests after resetting when I migrated to google which in itself has been a nightmare and needed help with that process with someone who posted process for resetting and reconnecting on You Tube. I was able to easily connect 2 Nests to my app but the last one would not connect with QR so thanks to your suggestions with code entry, it finally worked. Thank you so much!

AKP1
Community Member

Worked for me! Thank you so much. 

LuisO
Community Member

Thanks, after fighting with the nest for more than 1 hour I was able to add it to the app with this solution.

Been wrestling with this problem all day and this fixed it for me. 

After two days of trouble shooting I came across this post and the solution worked immediately.

Genius work around.

ALNJ
Community Member

WORKS ! 

TheRick
Community Member

How exactly are you supposed to remove the nest thermostat when the whole issue is that it won’t add in the first place?  Not a solution.  

Wheels
Community Member

If it's not on the app you don't need to. Just do a reset as per the instructions then it will show up.

Loriann1
Community Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  After hours of troubleshooting, I followed your instructions and went into “WWN Connection“ and success! 

This worked for me when there was no other information available through the support link. So THANK YOU!!

Dr2
Community Member

Did the thermostat give you the entry key? It says im already connected

gypsyldy
Community Member

This above absolutely works 100%!!!!  I've had to find his response 3 times now...works every time!  Finally saved it to my own iPhone photo album, for future references/problems!!!!  After following Google's suggestions, taking hours of my time doing what they say, talking to them on the phone, this above was the only advice that actually worked...I've learned now, when I have problems with anything, on apps, computers, etc. I automatically go to Community Support now, instead of the brand "experts"...The community relates better, and give you easy answers!!!  

gypsyldy
Community Member

Make sure your iPhone and thermostat are working off the same network.  Let me find Steve's answer in the community here to this problem.  Much easier than Google explained it, and made everyones life a living you know what...

gypsyldy
Community Member

Look at my response below, to Omar.  SteveW's instructions work 100%!

gypsyldy
Community Member

When you bypass the QR scanning, make sure you check your entry key number...I learned, the hard way, that that number does change!!!  That was a big part of the problem also!  

Same with me! I got hvac guy- $100 through google. Hasn’t worked since a week after he did it. I’ve checked everything they’ve said here. Ugh! And when I took it off the wall to get 4 digit code, it didn’t have it. It’s already set up & I want to change settings & cant

wsomeral
Community Member

I am having the same issue.

New installation. deleting the app, rebooting your phone, then reinstalling the app didn't do anything. 

I did the above recommended steps and the app did not find the nest

ilboud
Community Member

I have the same issue. 

Tried the app on an iPhone an iPad and and Android phone. Only 1 out of my 4 nest 3rd generation learning thermostats connects to the app. Note this is a brand new setup.

I have rebooted the phones, reinstalled the app, factory reset the nests, changed the WiFi name, turned on and off the 2.4Ghz WiFi band, nothing seems to fix it.

I get the TD030 error consistently.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Just pulling this from Google support here :

The TD030 error can occur because:

The assisting device your thermostat uses to communicate within a thread network is powered off.

Your phone and the assisting device are on two different Wi-Fi networks.

To check that the assisting device is working correctly, follow the troubleshooting steps below.

Make sure that the assisting device is powered on. If it isn’t, charge it or connect it to a working power source.

If the assisting device isn’t in use, remove it from the Nest app.

If you have more than one Wi-Fi network, you may have to move your phone to the same network the assisting device uses.

So... My first inclination is to do a reboot of your router , go into you Google home app and be sure that there are no "offline " devices, and be sure you only have one wireless network (no ap isolation mode or band steering features active).  If this fails , then I will escalate this for you as it would be above my head!

I need it escalated as nothing seems to work after trying everything suggested above multiple times. 

Eda1964
Community Member

I’m in the sane boat. This should be easy, abs I’ve wasted 2 hours of my Saturday over a silly app connection. With the QR this should be a 5 min thing. Google needs to make this far more consumer friendly. I have a modern network and have zero issues with my other shaft devices, including an earlier Nest thermostat. 

Dina1
Community Member

Need help I’ve wasted three hours and nothing is working. It has been hooked up to my app for years and just decided to quit I cannot get it back on, keep saying it’s already hooked up

mrwedge
Community Member

Had to hire HVAC tech who fixed it. May need to hire again after Nest software update as Its no longer controllable with IPhone🤬

I also have been wasting my entire day trying to get my nest app on my phone to interact with my thermostat!! I’m about to scream, this is insane.