cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest thermostat won't connect to app

Bob3
Community Member

My 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat won't connect to the app. Everything else is good, including Wi-Fi. I tried both the QR code and the entry key. The QR code tries to connect then goes to an error. The entry key hangs and does nothing.

1 Recommended Answer

gypsyldy
Community Member

This is a paste of @Stevew89 post, since you can't locate it.  This worked for many folks, including me.

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
2.) On your thermostat, go to Settings and then Reset and then WWN Connection.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
4.) Go to Settings and then Network and reconnect your thermostat to Wi-Fi
5.) Go to Settings and then Nest app and get the entry key.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

View Recommended Answer in original post

220 REPLIES 220

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Sorry is this a new issue (as in it used to connect but suddenly stopped working) or is this a new install or setup that you are trying to complete?  It may simply be the app install on your phone, in which case I would suggest deleting the app, rebooting your phone, then reinstalling the app, this will help to clear any potentially "gummed up" settings that could be stopping the process. 

Ok. Sud I do that even tho one therm connected to App and one is not. 

DJZ
Community Member

Did not work

Those things didn't work.  This is a replacement thermostat (under warranty).  When I reinstalled the app, it immediately found my other Nest Learning Thermostat, but not the replacement (new) one.  This is very frustrating.

GotKnox
Community Member

I can’t even add mine now. No one seems to have an answer 

mrwedge
Community Member

Had same problem hired HVAC pro who got it working. Recently had software update and now can’t use iPhone to change settings 🤬

Omar67
Community Member

lol mine just started acting up again, I know it's nothing any of us did wrong

gypsyldy
Community Member

This is a paste of @Stevew89 post, since you can't locate it.  This worked for many folks, including me.

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

Received a replacement under warranty for one of mine. Could not set up on the app for the life of me. The above is the fix. Thx

mrwedge
Community Member

Will try! Tired of wasting all the time spent!

How did you go about getting a replacement?

I cannot seem to find any support to get mine replaced. 

TheRick
Community Member

This does not 100% work.  I can’t even get my thermostat added to my google home app so there is nothing to remove.   Also, my nest does not have a way to connect to the wi-fi via the thermostat.  It must be done via the app.  I’ve reset the thermostat multiple times and my google app can never find the thermostat.  The other two previously added had no issues.  

Omar67
Community Member

I took mine back to the factory settings and using my iPhone with the nest app, I scanned the QR codes and was able to install them, even installed 3 for a customer of mine 

Nichop
Community Member

Thanks this worked but not sure why I lost the QR code scan option and only had option to enter entry key

leemi
Community Member

Thank you so much for above help. I literally spent 5 hours trying to connect to my Nests after resetting when I migrated to google which in itself has been a nightmare and needed help with that process with someone who posted process for resetting and reconnecting on You Tube. I was able to easily connect 2 Nests to my app but the last one would not connect with QR so thanks to your suggestions with code entry, it finally worked. Thank you so much!

AKP1
Community Member

Worked for me! Thank you so much. 

LuisO
Community Member

Thanks, after fighting with the nest for more than 1 hour I was able to add it to the app with this solution.

Been wrestling with this problem all day and this fixed it for me. 

After two days of trouble shooting I came across this post and the solution worked immediately.

Genius work around.

ALNJ
Community Member

WORKS ! 

TheRick
Community Member

How exactly are you supposed to remove the nest thermostat when the whole issue is that it won’t add in the first place?  Not a solution.  

Wheels
Community Member

If it's not on the app you don't need to. Just do a reset as per the instructions then it will show up.

Loriann1
Community Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  After hours of troubleshooting, I followed your instructions and went into “WWN Connection“ and success! 

WILL212
Community Member

Great fix, I spent hours trying to connect the device to the app!

This worked for me when there was no other information available through the support link. So THANK YOU!!

Dr2
Community Member

Did the thermostat give you the entry key? It says im already connected

Apophis
Community Member

I tried this and at step 6, the app says the Nest Thermostat is added and I can see it in the app. But it doesn't work. If I click Mode - Cool, the app crashes. Also, on the thermostat it states "not connected" to the app. Please help what do I do? I have tried 2 different internets, both have the same results. Having this issue on both house thermostats. The Nest doorbell works fine.

Omar67
Community Member

Did you reset back to the factory settings 

Loriann1
Community Member

I bought my 3rd gen from a previous owner. It was off the wall for a while and battery was low. The battery needs to be at a certain charge to set it up.  I charged the battery overnight using an android charging cable. After that I factory reset it, followed to steps to set up the thermostat for my home.  My problem was the thermostat found the wifi but would not acknowledge itself on the app. The key is to reset the WWN setting, rejoin the wifi and it worked. 

Omar67
Community Member

Congratulations 

Apophis
Community Member

Yes. I even did a factory reset. Every time it is able to connect to wi-fi, but not to the app. This is also a brand new thermostat. They (this also is happening on my upstairs nest thermostat) were working just a few days ago, but after I swapped internets they will not connect to the app. I even tried to connect them to the original internet provider. Same thing. The app just says "cannot connect".

Omar67
Community Member

are you using the google app or nest app, I myself was having a problem and I had to create a google email and connect through the google app 

Apophis
Community Member

I have been trying with the Nest app currently. That app give me the error "Something went wrong. We're having trouble communicating with the Nest service right now." This happens on both brand new thermostats. I tried with the Google app also, with that, I get to the section that asks for the 6 digit serial number, when I enter that, it the states to pick the 4 digit code... BUT the page is just blank. No code is given. Cannot go forward past this part on the google app.

Fredsie
Community Member

Yes, I had that. I'm amazed that someone from Google hasn't put the solution to this long ago. 

What you need to know is that the name of the room the thermostat is in is critical. The name you give to the Nest app MUST match a room name you've already created in the Google Home app. I got this wrong, and created a different room in Nest.  When I went back and changed the name in Nest, the stat magically appeared in the Google Home app, and I was immediately able to use voice control on the Home speaker to alter the temperature. 

Omar67
Community Member

The people from nest are clueless, they are reading from a script, they probably have no experience at all, I am an HVAC contractor and there are plenty of technicians that hate nest because of the lack of technical support, I learned what I know through trial and error 

Apophis
Community Member

Omar67, you are right. I have had 2 HVAC repair guys over here and THEY cannot even figure out the issue. They even tested a brand new thermostat and same errors. I have come to the conclusion its just my Internet Provider that is the issue. There is no other choice. I do live way out in the country and have to use a LTE modem (basically just a AT&T sim card in a small modem - 2.4ghz) But I have 2 of them and even with no other devices connected it cannot work with Nest. I have tried Satellite internet as well, same issue. Everything else works great, streaming, online games, etc. Just cannot use the Nest Thermostats.

Omar67
Community Member

Some time ago, google purchased Nest, they have been sending emails to merge your nest account over to a google account and not many people paid attention to it, a few months ago I think they finally merged everything over and that's when all this happened 

OMG... maybe nest should add this to their instructions on the link that pops up when you can't add the dang thing.  Thank you so much for this post.

Omar67
Community Member

Your welcome