cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Unreliable nest thermostat

Thecraigness
Community Member

I am pretty tired of having to get in my car and drive 70 miles to reset my nest thermostat to prevent my house from freezing. This thing had a single job and it can't even do that. I have perfect Wi-Fi and internet at my house and I can watch all my cameras and unlock all my doors and turn on all my lights so that's not the problem. I have full control of the thermostat all the time remotely so connectivity is not the problem. The problem I'm repeatedly having is that the thermostat refuses to actually turn on the heat reliably. It is set correctly and I have verified this many times. The problem is I have to restart it every few weeks or months in order for it to reliably turn my heat on for more than a few minutes. There is no remote restart on the app or at least none that I can find. That would save me a whole lot of driving. If it doesn't get resolved, I'm switching to Honeywell today. I'm pretty tired of this. You spend $300 on something to make your life easier and I've spent more than that on gasoline just to get it to operate.

4 REPLIES 4

Braeburn
Community Member

Agree.  They are not reliable.  Having same problem.

nppatt
Community Member

Agreed. Extremely hit or miss if the thermostat communicates and triggers the heating to come on. Had this for over a year, same issues using the app to activate the heating. Should have known better to use a Google product, they don't exactly have a strong track record in seeing through product development to a strong conclusion.

GML
Community Member

Having a similar issue. The thermostat says heat is on, meanwhile furnace is idle and temperature dropping. Only solution is to change heating mode to "off" then back to "heat" - furnace kicks on after that.

GML
Community Member

Forgot to mention it's not the first time or location either. First time this happened it was at another location and I was informed by Google support that I had to buy a new unit (not even a discount because I had bought it at Best Buy?)... same issue with the new one, and same issue with another one at a different house. Very not nice to receive a "your house is dangerously cold" notification when away on vacation.