cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When get message can’t connect to assisting device

Kathyg
Community Member

I connected a nest thermostat downstairs and it went fine.  When I tried to connect a second thermostat upstairs it would not connect to the WiFi and be added to my Google home .

It would say can’t connect to assisting device or something like that!

I took some advice from here on another thread concerning Google cameras - and I removed the original thermostat that was connected from my Google home - I then went thru steps with the second one that wouldn’t connect before to add it first . With the other device off it now added to my Google home . I then went Thru the steps again for the original first thermostat and it connected !!!! 
they are both now connected and i didn’t have to create a new home as i see some people are having to do ! 
I have no idea why it worked! But it did !

This was after much time and effort trying to figure it out , including restarting it and also rebooting modem and all that.
Wanted to share my success in case it could help someone dealing with same not have to spend as much time and experience same frustration!! 
your welcome !! 🙂

1 REPLY 1

bouchaet
Community Member

I tried so many times without any success. I have rebooted the device every time, reset to factory settings, change batteries, configure with google home from an android device instead of iPhone, reinitialize my network and temporarly modify the wiring to maintain power (plug to C instead of W). I have even returned my unit for another one. All this with the same result, no wifi connection.

So I  have probably spend as much time as you did, but I'm glad to finally have found a way ! I did have to reset my original thermostat and I have lost all the stats from the previous weeks. Nervertheless. the 2 Nest thermostats are available on my network and in one single home configuration. 

I hope there is an update coming with google home. this was weirdly too complicated to setup. And the solution makes no sense to me neither.

Thanks for sharing your workaround !