cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Which Nest Thermostats are compatible with Honeywell Humidifier

Craw
Community Member

I have a first Gen nest which did not have the ability to control a humidifier. There appear to be 2-3 different Google Nest Thermostats. Does anyone know which of these models has control for an external whole house humidifier. Terrible info on the site regarding humidifiers.  Not interested in the dehumidification part through the ac want to know which can control a humidifier. Also is their any ability to change the humidity settings based on outdoor temperature because where I am it can get down in the -30 and you do need to drop the levels when it gets cold like that to stop icing on the windows? 

1 Recommended Answer

Stuff
Community Member

You need the "Learning" for humidifier connections.  The compatibility checker has a bug that shows the non-learning is compatible.

Nest does not have the ability to change the humidity settings based on temperature.

View Recommended Answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mace67
Community Member

The ones compatible will have an asterisk on one of the terminals where low voltage connects. That terminal can be set up to do humidifiers,dehumidifiers etc. Not familiar with what models do what

Stuff
Community Member

You need the "Learning" for humidifier connections.  The compatibility checker has a bug that shows the non-learning is compatible.

Nest does not have the ability to change the humidity settings based on temperature.

Craw
Community Member

Appreciated the reply. Note the original learning Nest thermostat, the first one does not do humidity either but probably can't get that anywhere anymore so it may not be of concern. To bad they don't adjust the humidity based on outdoor temperature as it would be very useful for those in northern climates. 

Stuff
Community Member

Good point.  You need the 2nd or 3rd Gen Nest for humidity control.  Google doesn't make any of this easy as they don't call the Nest E (still being sold) "Learning" even though it is.

wzacc
Community Member

You might be better off using the Aprilaire Model 60 Control to monitor outside air and adjust humidity accordingly. It does address your issue. 

Ignore the Nest for humidity but still connect the fan to the Nest if you use it that way.

R-Ki
Community Member

My HVAC has Aprilaire Humidifer-700 with Humidisatat model 60. I installed the Nest Thermostat (NT) model/01334 year 2020 (not the learning model) that has Y, G, R, W, C, */ob wiring terminals. I connected the NT (Y, G, R, W, C) to corresponding Furnace terminals Y, G, R, W, C. The NT works; however, it prevents humidifier function. I connected the humidifier directly to Nest Thermostat and removed the Humidistat. I attached the NT */ob terminal to one of the humidifier solenoid valve wires and connected another solenoid valve wire to the C terminal of the Furnace, as shown in this video. It did not help to activate the humidifier. Does the Nest Thermostat (not the learning model) work with a humidifier? In my experience, this NT model doesn't. How to ignore the Nest humidity control setting?-so that I continue to use Aprileaire humidistat

Stuff
Community Member

That Nest will not control a humidifier so you need to put the wiring back the way it was.   Look at page 16 of the installation manual - https://www.behler-young.com/UserFiles/Resource/APRILRINST00076.pdf