cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can not edit WAN settings on Google Nest

Chocdb
Community Member

I have just moved to a new house and of course, relocated my Google nest WiFi. I am yet to get a NBN connection (I am in Australia) so reading the instructions on how to change the WAN settings, it says that the Nest has to be offline. Well, for me, as I don’t have an internet connection at home, it’s a given that the unit is offline. When I get into the WAN settings, is says “these settings can not be cha ged at the moment” and underneath the three choices of DHCP, Static IP or PPPoE, it shows a WAN address of xx.xx.xx.xx (it’s numbers, i am just changing this to not show exactly the IP address. 

that can’t be right though as the system doesn’t currently have a WAN IP. My guess here is that the best is thinking that it’s connected but it isn’t at all. 

Please help! Thank you!

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The ultimate workaround is to factory reset your Wifi devices, and set them up again:

Factory reset your Wifi device - Google Nest Help

Scroll down, select "My device isn’t available in the Google Home app", then pick the model you have for the physical reset steps.

View Recommended Answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

There's currently a known issue that affects changing WAN settings on iOS devices. Main topic for this I'll link below, as it includes a workaround you can try.

Answered: you cannot edit these settings right now - Google Nest Community

Chocdb
Community Member

Hello David, the link with the work around information didn’t work for me… I still get the same message… what’s the next steps? Thank you!

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Not sure why that's the case. This is the workaround I'm referring to:

"I had this issue, but found that I could resolve it as follows. Instead of going to the Network Settings directly from the Wi-Fi settings page, tap on “x Points” (x being the number of access points), tap on the main router, settings cog icon, Network settings, Advanced Networking, WAN connection.

Going via that route it shows me the settings, although still can’t change them when the network is operating. If you tap on “Show me how” it explains that you can change it if you pull out the Ethernet cable of the main router (I found I needed to pull both out)."

Chocdb
Community Member

thank you for the reply. Yea, I saw that this was the work around but either way I go into the settings, it doesn’t work for me either way. Currently this means that I have a bricked system as I can’t change the settings!… please help!

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The ultimate workaround is to factory reset your Wifi devices, and set them up again:

Factory reset your Wifi device - Google Nest Help

Scroll down, select "My device isn’t available in the Google Home app", then pick the model you have for the physical reset steps.