cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Connecting already existing network and Google Nest WiFi

Zier
Community Member

Hi

I'm having problems with connecting my already existing network (AEN) with my Google Nest WiFi (GMW).

The AEN is at 192.168.1.* and the GNW is 192.168.86.*  The Google net can't see the AEN - especially the NAS !

How do I fix this issue ? I don't want to break my existing network with all the Ip-reservations and other setup with shifting to Bridge Mode.

Any idears ?

Zier

6 REPLIES 6

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Trying to use a third-party router upstream or downstream of your Nest Wifi network is not recommended and will cause you headaches. This help article explains why and the options you have:

Hardwire Nest Wifi Pro, Nest Wifi or Google Wifi with Ethernet - Google Nest Help

Zier
Community Member

So no ideas - just a dismissal !?

Because Google Nest WiFi is the only thing that works - if it's in charge ..?

Did anyone say 'proprietary' ?

Regards bs

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Not a dismissal at all as the help article outlines your options if you expand the sections at the bottom about using third party routers? To explain further, what order do you have them connected in? Is the third party router upstream or downstream of Nest Wifi?

Zier
Community Member

B. Siiger <#>

12.38 (for 5 minutter siden)

til Google

First from the ISP modem, then cable to my Netgear R9000 (192.168.1.1 with EX8000 192.16

B. Siiger <#>

12.38 (for 5 minutter siden)

til Google
First from the ISP modem, then cable to my Netgear R9000 (192.168.1.1 with EX8000 192.168.1.2/WiFi) working just fine with all my Smart Home devices here on the top floor (and ofcourse phones, tablets, tv and all).

Then cable from my router/switch downstairs to the Google Nest Wifi (GNW at 192.168.86.*) on the first/ground level.

The GNW cannot 'see' the common NAS (192.168.1.210)
Different segments (192.168.1.* vs 192.168.86.*)

8.1.2/WiFi) working just fine with all my Smart Home devices here on the top floor (and ofcourse phones, tablets, tv and all).

Then cable from my router/switch downstairs to the Google Nest Wifi (GNW at 192.168.86.*) on the first/ground level.

Zier
Community Member

Tried to change the formatting but something went wrong. Splitting my text in halves !

So here is another try:

First from the ISP modem, then cable to my Netgear R9000 (192.168.1.1 with EX8000 192.168.1.2/WiFi) working just fine with all my Smart Home devices here on the top floor (and ofcourse phones, tablets, tv and all).

working just fine with all my Smart Home devices here on the top floor (and ofcourse phones, tablets, tv and all).

Regards
bs

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Okay, so your Netgear router is upstream of Nest Wifi. Nest Wifi isn't a traditional Wifi repeater or extender system, It's a mesh Wifi solution designed to replace your existing router, which is why you're experiencing this issue.

The different subnets (segments) is why a device connected to your Nest Wifi cannot communicate with your NAS which is behind your Netgear router, and the same will be true vice versa. This problem is commonly known as double NAT.

The way to fix this is to put your Netgear router in bridge mode/IP passthrough mode. Once it's in bridge mode, you'll still have 2 separate Wifi networks, which may or may not be a challenge for you.

Bridge mode - Google Nest Help

Strictly speaking you can put Nest Wifi in bridge mode instead if you only have 1 Wifi point and don't intend to create a mesh of Nest Wifi points in the future. Check the help link above for all the features that are disabled if you choose to do that.