cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Wifi - Unable to reconnect after power failure

DGU
Community Member

Google Nest Router is unable to reconnect to the internet after a power failure. This is extremely frustrating and time consuming to fix.

1. Google Nest Wifi router is unable to reconnect by itself to internet after a power failure. Although, to be fair, once when I was on vacations for several weeks, I noticed that Google Nest Wifi router re-connected to the internet by itself after about one week. This is not so great when we have several Nest cameras and we pay for a Nest Aware subscription to record while we are away. 

2. I have tried everything I could find to have Google Nest Wifi router reconnect to the internet when I am at home. Switch off everything… Wait… Reconnect internet modem…. Wait… Reconnect Google Nest Wifi router… Wait… It is never able to reconnect. At one point, I even contacted my internet provider to enquire if the problem could be on their side. They confirm that the internet was fine , and I validated by connecting a computer with an ethernet cable directly to the internet modem. The problem is with Google Nest Wifi router…

3. This is extremely frustrating… It take me easily 1 to 2 hours to get Google Nest Wifi router to reconnect to the internet. The only option that works is to factory reset the device (each time the power goes off). And even that is not trivial. Your Google Home App often fails to connect to the devices, display some visual indications that it is “working” only to display a few minutes later that it cannot connect (“Problem connecting”).

In summary:

The Google Nest Wifi router and its two Nest Wifi points work great long as there is power. But after a power failure, it becomes a nightmare, as only a factory reset solves the problem and even that is non-trivial and very time consuming (lots of failure to connect). To me, this looks like a software issue. Don’t you fix issues and provide software updates for your router? I looked around the web and I don’t seem to be the only one experiencing those issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/qy1ojl/nest_hub_cant_reconnect_to_wifi_after_power_outa...

Modem: Thomson Technicolor DCM 475 (bridge mode)

Router: Nest Wifi router and point, 2-pack (Snow)

Connecting Thomson Technicolor DCM 475 directly to iMac27

• Mac: Preferences/Network/Ethernet/IP address: 198.84.2XX.XX

==> The modem is on bridge mode

Connect Google Nest Wifi router to the modem

• The Wifi network goes up… But no internet connection.
113 REPLIES 113

ND628
Community Member

Hi Jeff,

We just had the same issue after a power outage.  After unplugging and replugging in after power returned, we were left with no other option but to do a factory reset.  But even after a factory reset (hard reset using the button in the back) it is still not connecting to the Xfinity modem.  The modem isn't the issue as we can still get connectivity on the Xfinity modem (but not as far throughout the house).

Vince1980
Community Member

Same issue here, still a nightmare anytime we have a minor brownout.

aflegel2
Community Member

Just had this issue happen to me and now I can't reconnect to the router at all even after multiple power cycles and factory resets.  What a turd of a product

garora
Community Member

I ran into this issue when I power cycled Google WiFi and after numerous tries I can’t get Nest WiFi to get configured again. Completely stuck….

AngieSt
Community Member

Did you end up with a fix for this issue? My internet went down, I factory reset my nest router and it kept saying it can't see internet from my provider. I finally got so frustrated I went and bought a new router thinking something short mine out!

Jb24
Community Member

Had my power go off last night and have the same issue everyone is describing. Have factory reset and still can’t get it it to work. Have been without internet all day. This has now happened at least 5 times and takes 4-5 hrs of troubleshooting each time (best case) to get it back up and running.

I am having this problem as we speak and can't find resolution 

Bbjones41
Community Member

I’ve encountered this power outage issue 3 times in the last 2 months. Was the firmware update supposed to push through when my Nest WiFi devices were actually working?

It is now August 2023 and I am approaching my 2nd hour of trying to factory reset all of my devices.

2+ hours later, after my factory resets have successfully completed, I was finally able to get back up, the Google Home app has told me that my devices are up to date. Something makes me highly doubt this will be my last time experiencing this massive inconvenience.

Please offer a viable fix, @Jeff 

Josh5
Community Member

I am having the exact same issue. Accidentally hit the wrong breaker about a month ago which switched off the router and spent two hours power cycling the modem and routers to get it to work. And then again today, had my power meter replaced and the power went out for literally one second over an hour ago and I still have no internet. Modem is great, router won’t connect. I have spent a lot of money on google nest devices and this is incredibly frustrating. 

Adsiju
Community Member

Same issue here. I have tried pulling the plug on the hubs to reset them with mixed results. Some devices connect, others don’t. On reboot other devices connect, but never do all devices connect. I have found that if I disconnect from wifi and use cellular data to connect to the google nest app, I can reboot (or reset, I forget the exact terminology in the app) the network from inside the app and that seems to fox the issue until the next power outage. Still a pain in the butt for such an expensive product. 

osteinjr
Community Member

Today I had a similar problem after a power outage, one of the points did not connect to the main router. I did 3 hard resets and without success. After that I disabled IPV6 on the mesh network and the point connected again. I don't know if it was a coincidence.

luisvega
Community Member

Today I had the same issue everyone is describing here.   I believe when the power comes, both modem and router restart at the same time, it usually takes the modem a couple of minutes to establish internet connection.  It seems the router tries to get the internet before the modem is ready, it fails and then it doesn't retry

As someone mentioned before, this is a big issue when travelling

Tom Nelson here. I've had incredible problems while traveling - security system went dark for weeks. I have not had the problem of the devices (points, etc.) individually going haywire and not coming back on line - I'm either all on or off with a very few infrequent exceptions that were solved by unplugging and replugging back into AC outlet.

Anyway, suggestion. If sequencing is a problem that can be fixed by getting two devices called "Keep Connect" from Johnson Creative. It's a "router rebooter." I've installed one at the power source leading to the modem and router and have both the modem and router attached to that one device via a power strip. It seems to work excellently - I haven't gone dark after power outage, but may be luck. I'll keep monitoring my system and pass along any developments.

Good luck with these frustrating problems.

Tom

Mgdj
Community Member

Woke up this morning and noticed blinking digital clocks indicating power was some time in the night. Google nest no longer connected. Did the steps in google home app to reconnect. Still not working. Guess I’ll try factory reset based on what I’m reading here. BTW I’m in Northern Virginia on Verizon Fios. 

jfetz88
Community Member

Same issue here as well! We have 1 nest router and 3 points and had a long internet outage 2 days ago (not power outage, just straight internet outage for a few hours). Since then we have not been able to get any of our Nest devices connected. Have gone through every troubleshooting article and are now at the point of a factory reset, which is not fun to do. Please fix this- it works so well when this isn't the case, but it should be able to just reconnect once the internet is back up. Location: Atlanta, Georgia (in the actual middle of the city) with AT&T Fiber. 

Mmtill
Community Member

Same exact problem… my 3 year old found the power strip power button and turns off the power and I have to factory reset and reconnect everything… just ordered a Battery backup for power outages and hiding it!  It’s a bad glitch though… 

osteinjr
Community Member

The saddest thing is that the problem exists and Google doesn't care, even forwarding feedback with the logs.

bigdaddy2172
Community Member

Same issue here. Such a pain to reset the whole network back up. It’s a glowing yellow never goes to the solid white. I love the router range except the whole network issue if resetting everything. I’m honestly at the point of going to another company brand router. I have been in IT for over 10 years and this issue needs to be addressed by Google as you can see multiple people are reporting same issues so it’s not just me.

Someone with knowledge needs to start a class action suit due to a faulty product that they will not support and are willingly aware of and don’t have a fix for. I’m sure many would jump on it as there are hundreds of people complaining about the same issues.

Ninjack
Community Member

Spent a fortune on Google products only for the Nest WiFi to fail fail to reconnect after a power failure. The fact that this product doesn’t reconnect after a simple power failure shows the lack of competent testing which for a large company such as Google is inexcusable. Having to factory reset every time this occurs is not a viable workaround, particularly for people who experience regular power fluctuations. I hope this bug is fixed promptly otherwise I will be looking for a refund on all my google products which otherwise work so well.

Josegarcia8578
Community Member

Same issue here. Google router fails to reconnect with a power failure or even an ISP planned outrage. The light blinks yellow (network not connected) even the Internet is there (check by connected ring directly to the modem. Only option is to factory reset the system…..has happened three times 5 months. Just a waste of time.

Zigzagtom
Community Member

Has anyone tried installing a router rebooter to see if that might fix the problem? What router rebooters do is immediately on loss of internet cut power to the modem and/or router and then attempt to reconnect by reconnecting the power source. 

I am often away for long periods and cannot afford a system that shuts down and then doesn't come back online by itself. If the Nest system can't overcome a simple power outage, I suggest that everyone who has one obtain an old-fashioned non-mesh router and stay with that at least while they're away from home. 

jwf5294
Community Member

Okay everyone!! Try this because it just worked for me (albeit only one time, but it’s something). My power went out and my wifi came back on, so I think it’s possible the problem is the following:

Make sure your wifi NAME and PASSWORD both have NO SPACES in them. Also be careful of what special characters you use - exclamation points work fine, but I think the question mark among others can cause problems. I made this adjustment myself, and while my power only went out once since then, the wifi came right back on with the power for the first time - no factory resetting or anything.

It seems silly that this would be the solution to this massive problem, but give it a shot and see if it works. Fingers crossed.

P.S. I’m still never buying a Google product ever again. This entire situation and how Google has (or hasn’t) handled it is a complete disgrace. Very telling.

jll
Community Member

Hey @jwf5294 - thanks for the idea! Sadly my setup already has no spaces or special characters and it never reconnected.. 

Could you check the firmware version on your router? We’re all waiting to see if the M94 update fixes it. You can find it here http://192.168.86.1/api/v1/status or in the router info on the app. I’m still on 13729, which is the old firmware version. 

jwf5294
Community Member

UPDATE: still does it…sorry everyone. Thought this idea could work..

Trevorbarnes821
Community Member

This happens to me a lot and finally figured out a solution that works for me.  I have a router and 1 point (actually a router also but is considered a point in the app).  When power goes out and I lose internet I have to completely disconnect the point then cycle the modem while the main router is still plugged in.  After wifi is restored on the main router plug the point back in.  Not sure if this will work for everyone but hope this helps some.

xyanewing
Community Member

Piling on with the same issue: power goes out at house and comes back on, modem confirmed working with hardwire, Google Nest router refuses to connect to network or access internet without a factory reset.

Shoe47
Community Member

Same here: Piling on with the same issue: power goes out at house and comes back on, modem confirmed working with hardwire, Google Nest router refuses to connect to network or access internet without a factory reset.  
google should be paying us at this point. 

Zigzagtom
Community Member

I've posted this before but really do think it might be a solution. Install a router-reconnect device that immediately pushes the modem and router (or separately if you want a second one and configure it that way). I put one on my system that delivers power to the modem and router (nest router) and when the power goes on AND it senses no connection it automatically disconnects the power, waits for a minute or so, and then tries to reconnect - and will keep trying until max number (you program) of attempts is reached. Since I put one one my system two months ago (power to both modem and Nest router), I have not had this problem at all. Also, I have it set so that it automatically recycles the system once a day at 3 a.m. to make sure that if there is an outage that it did not detect that it will be picked up and remedied (this actually happened once).

I am not shilling for the company and I gave its brand name before so I won't do it again (see above if interested). For $50 it is more than worth it for me - I felt unsafe traveling before I installed it. It has beenn working flawlessly. And, if you don't like it and it does not work, you should be able to get a refund.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Tom Nelson

Thanks a lot Tom. Really helpful - I will definitely go with that option. It’s a shame we need to fend for ourselves like this since Google continues to be AWOL after us spending all of this money on their product. I just recently bought my house and, since this issue, I have literally gone out of my way to avoid all Google products after this horrendous experience (doorbell, thermostat, etc. etc.). So glad I did because all the other brands are working great and have customer service that is unlimitedly better than what we’ve been dealing with here. Telling everyone I know about this experience too if they’re looking for similar products. I feel like I have to get the word out there and save others from the countless headaches we’ve all dealt with here.

Anyway, rant over. Thanks again Tom. Hopefully that will work and it will last me up until my next router! Really appreciate you taking the time to send us all a potential solution.

Jim

dhsewell
Community Member

Jim - I am intrigued by the device you are referring to but it occurs to me to ask you how this device overcomes the effect of a power outage causing all of the problems that have been discussed in this thread. If a power cycle would work that would be fantastic but I don't think it will. Those that mentioned the idea of a UPS might actually be onto something but it concerns me that if I try that I might be putting good money after bad and risking that not working either. Thanks for helping to try to find a solution but it doesn't seem we are there yet.

gammish
Community Member

Now June 2022 and no fix for the Nest power outage problem. Looks like next to zero response from Google for the past several months unless I'm in the dark. Rather pathetic - any new suggestions on how to get the Nest to operate so that we don't have heat stroke?

Judyk2234
Community Member

I am having the same problem with my nest doorbell.  The doorbell rings but the camera will not reconnect to the internet.  I have tried all of the directions to reconnect without any luck.  Unfortunately, it sounds like a lot of people much more tech savy than I am are having the same problem.  No more Google products for me.

IMiki
Community Member

IMiki
Community Member

I’m experiencing the exact same problem right now! Actually I’ve been through the same issues multiple times! First I blamed my landlord because they they offered the internet which actually included in my rent. Then I yelled at the internet service provider and complained about their service. I also bought different google routers: Nest wifi, Google wifi. But they all have the same problem. Once the power down or I restart it I lost my internet and I had to factory reset everything! Router, point, camera, doorbell! Everything! I’m going to BestBuy to get another brand of router now!!! Tired of factory resetting, and it always takes me hours!

DeckerPair
Community Member

We’ve invested in 6 Google Nest devices recently and having same issues as everyone else…very disappointed. We had an internet outage (xFinity in Houston area) 2 days ago and a power outage today. We’ve not had to factory reset, but unplug all devices and bring them back online one at a time. Since it’s apparently a well established issue, why won’t Google address this issue?

Phewphew
Community Member

I’m facing the same issue. There was a temporary power outage and my Google Wifi 1st generation pucks turn blinking-orange and won’t even connect to the internet. I tested the modem and it all works fine !

Heatmizzer
Community Member

this is puré bull**bleep** We have to wait more than a year for them to fix this problem 300 dollars to have paper weight....but to push some LGBTQ+ stop kissing ass to certain group and fix your product that your selling.