cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Wi-Fi point (not main router) flashing orange

FordPrefect
Community Member

Let me start with the fact that I have Internet and Wi-Fi. It's just one of my access points that is giving me issues. It began flashing orange. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in again. It went dark blue and then back to orange. I did a factory reset at which point it dropped from my mesh network (as it should), appeared to move through it's setup sequence, and then went back to flashing orange. I moved it closer to the main router and modem and plugged it back in. Same issue. How do I get this point back online?

14 REPLIES 14

PatrickP_Viking
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hey @FordPrefect .

Can you advise how you did the factory reset? Was it in the Home app or on the device?

I did on the device. Before factory resetting, the app controls did not seem to work with it. Now, of course, the app doesn't recognize it's existence.

Thanks @FordPrefect .

Try doing a factory reset at the device itself: Factory reset your Wifi device 

We also have a new Troubleshooter that may help also: Launch the troubleshooter 

I did the reset on the device itself. That's why Google Home no longer recognizes it as a part of my network. 

I tried using that troubleshooter before posting. It only seems to be for network issues, which I do not have. It doesn't have steps for reconnecting a mesh point that isn't working.

Thanks for the additional detail @FordPrefect .

You will need to re-add the device back to the network. Doing a reset removes it from the network which is why it is not being recognized.

Set up Google Wifi 

If you are using an iOS device, you may encounter issues due to default Apple settings. If so, this article will help with any errors: Troubleshoot setup with iOS 

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

I thought that in order to re-add the point to the network, I had to wait until the light flashed white after the reset. It only flashes orange.

I've got this EXACT same issue.  Parents were using it for about 3 months, I brought it home and got it setup.  Router & 1 node work find (factory reset both), and one node just refuses.  Followed all steps.

I've already attempted the steps in your "setup WiFi" link multiple times. Home cannot locate the node. According to other posts, after I factory reset the node, it should eventually flash white, which indicates I can add it. It never gets to that point. It flashes dark blue and then goes right to flashing orange. I even tried a different power cable.

Hey @FordPrefect .

When you originally set up the affected node, did you set it up as a Wifi connected point and then connect an Ethernet cable or vice versa (Ethernet then disconnected for a Wifi connected point)?

Phil_Esterhouse
Community Member

This may not apply to you, but I saw a problem where the access point flashed yellow.  It appears that I had caused the problem by limiting the DHCP Pool.  I had allowed only 5 IP addresses because i had 5 devices to connect.  It seems that the remote point also wanted an IP address from the pool.  Increasing the size of the pool appears to have solved the problem.

OK, that's it...hey, let's be careful out there.

FordPrefect
Community Member

Update: I spent two hours on the phone with Google customer service and they ended up tanking my entire Wi-Fi system and they could not explain it so they escalated the issue.

At this time I'm using a rented router from my ISP, which also did not work initially. My ISP sent a tech to factory reset my modem in order to get the Wi-Fi back online.

I'm very nervous about trying to reconnect my mesh system after all of time I've wasted on this issue. However, I do plan to attempt it this week at I do not wish to pay a monthly fee for a router when I own my own.

FordPrefect
Community Member

It appears that the factory reset of my modem did the trick. All three of my Wi-Fi points are now back online and my connection is strong.

For anyone having this issue - unplugging and plugging the modem back in is not sufficient. I'm not entirely sure how the tech "factory reset" my modem as it does not appear to have a button for that, but that is what was needed.

Hey @FordPrefect .

I suspect that they sent a reprovisioning signal to your modem and not an actual reset; some unfortunately call a reset and reprovisioning the same thing. It is likely that they did an update before the issue started that changed some of the previous settings.

Hope things remain stable. Let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Agree - I have a fiber setup so my "modem" is just the ONT for the fiber/RJ45.  Tried plugging direct into that, but same issue even after power-cycling that for grins and giggles.