cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Wifi firmware 13729.57.27 frequently disconnected to the internet

FWCA
Community Member

Previously, I reported that M89 firmware on Google Wifi lost connection to the internet every other day (https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/116896459/m89-firmware-is-unstable-on-google-wifi?hl=en).  Starting 9/18/2021, my Google Wifi keeps on losing connection to the internet a few times a day.  I checked the firmware and it has been changed to 13729.57.27.  This is worse than M89.  Google engineers, please take a look.

184 REPLIES 184

wtfgoogle1
Community Member

Apologies to you all for my frustrated rants on here.

My current state: I think we’re on the cusp of having more Wi-Fi 6e and eventually Wi-Fi 7 devices, which is why I haven’t chucked these pucks to the curb yet.

Pattern is that my internet works ok for a few days and then the same thing happens - weak connection, very slow speed to devices.  I restart the network and I reset a puck, usually the one closest to the router.  It seems to function ok.   Latency is still high, but speeds are ok.  

Repeat a few days later.

natecb
Community Member

I'm running into this since December. FW version is 1.54.275951, SW 13929.57.27. What I've found is that Google wifi will pulse the yellow "network error" light and stop functioning as a router. Power cycling the modem and Google wifi doesn't always work. If I power-cycle my modem, but substitute any other router or computer (I have an eero pro and a unifi router), then that device will get an IP lease and everything is fine. If I switch back to the Google Wifi, it may or may not work. Since I can't see anything in the way of technical feedback in the Home app, I have to assume the wifi/router isn't able to get the IP lease via the modem. I've also swapped out the ethernet cables. I did get the ISP involved, but since we can easily prove that my modem is working fine, there's nothing further to discuss with them.

valentasn
Community Member

In my case (according to google support) problem was(is) with "VLAN tagging" feature.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9798157?hl=en

I added "smart network switch" with VLAN feature before main pod and testing now to see if my internet works ok.

Strange that google router doesn't support such feature while other brand routers does, event older ones..

BjarkeBP
Community Member

Likewise a huge issue, point connection breaks every 30 min rendering my wifi mesh unfit for home office, running old firmware as it has not updated itself, and there is no solution in sight. Money down the drain and now considering switching out all my mesh gear to non google as I cannot trust the equipment to stay connected. Hope this gets fixed!

Tvb
Community Member

Following, having the same issue. Thought i was going mad. Sure hope an update comes soon!

trib
Community Member

Joining the fray. I have this issue as well. 

Context:

• somewhat sprawling rural cabin - technically 3 buildings (log cabin, attached steel garage with timber frame and wall panels with upstairs bedrooms, semi-detached cedar panel office and lounge)
  • Nest Wifi hub in office in main cabin, points in upstairs bedroom (shows Good connection), living room (shows Great connection), and office/lounge (shows weak connection)
  • all devices showing latest firmware AFAICT
  • connection can be stable for hours and then drop continuously for same
  • connection usually drops 5-10 times/day for 30 seconds to 20 minutes
  • power cycling hub usually corrects for a while
  • connected to satellite internet (Starlink, previously Australian NBN Sky Muster)

For the moment, I have dropped the Google Nest wifi and switched to the Starlink router with an Almond+ range extender. I'd much prefer to be running the Google wifi as it forms the root of smart home tech we use to support a person with disabilities (deafblind and an intellectual disability). Having a stable firmware that doesn't fail continuously would make things rather easier.

@trib
Pronouns he/him/his

EspenK65
Community Member

I have the same issue, in a setup with a Nest router (model H2D, FW 13729.57.27), a Nest access point (model H2E, FW 1.54.275951) and 4 Google WiFi points (all model AC-1304, FW 13729.57.27). Almost daily dropouts, reboots of the individual points seems to work for a while. The frequency of the dropouts have increased the last month or so. It seems the issue is mainly related to the "satelite" nodes, not the main Nest router. One of the Google WiFi nodes is connected to the main Nest router through Ethernet, and this also survives most of the outages

This needs to be corrected, it's causing a lot of problems, to the point where replacing the network with another mesh system is alternative that becomes more realistic by the day...

andy617
Community Member

It's a little too late for me I already ordered Netgear Orbi AX4200 and it's coming Tuesday. I'm so sick of the run around with customers service and no resolution for the past 2 months. I have 3 routers and 1 point none work. After multiple factory resets nothing as improved. 

natecb
Community Member

I found a temporary solution to my issue in another thread.  I turned off both “preferred activities” and I manually set my DNS to Google’s public servers:  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  I’ve had stability for three days.  

Definitely want to be clear to you all, I didn’t have any issues with the wireless or the mesh.  My symptom was that the router acted like there was no “Internet” connection. I’m leaning toward a bug in the “auto detect DNS” controls.  

natecb
Community Member

Just update anyone who's following this, the DNS manual config did not resolve the issue. After 3 days,  I had to revert to a different router. 

EspenK65
Community Member

I turned off the "preferred activities" and set the DNS to my ISP settings, and my network has been stable for the last 36 hours or so. Will see if this continues, so thanks for the tip!

joespartan
Community Member

The issue never resolved.  It seems Google is in no hurry to provide a fix for the firmware update.  I went out and purchased the Orbi AC3000.  It solved all of my problems in the house.  I can now work continuously without being interrupted by disconnects.  I can do my graduate work without sudden "psych" from the Nest.  My kids are reporting excel performance on their games and no longer yelling out from disconnects causing them to lose.  My college age kids are happy they no longer have to tether their phone for Zoom lectures.  Most importantly, my wife is happy.  If mamma ain't happy ain't nobody happy!  My advice!  Put those stupid Google marshmallows on a stick and roast them in a fire!  That's what they are good for, now.

scadclad
Community Member

I thought this was a Mac issue but now it sounds like it is a crap google nest issue. When are they going to fix it? I am about to switch to another solution. I will say this it seems like my Chromebook has no issue with this but that is not shocking 

joespartan
Community Member

By the way, the Parental controls in the Orbi AC3000 is FAR superior to that of the Google Nest.  I no longer have to point to OpenDNS to keep the kids honest.

Wavshrdr
Community Member

Add me to the list of people still having issues with this. It is driving me crazy. Switch to another router and no issues. I totally regret not bringing my EERO mesh system from another house. If this isn't fixed soon, I'll never buy another google/android product in my life. My family works from home and this is killing me. 

It would be a real pain to swap this out now as I have 3 floors with all the smart home devices, phones, laptops, tablets, etc. on the Nest WiFi network. I was a network engineer for many years and last thing I want to do is work on my own network all the time.

Pascal
Community Member

Got the same problem! 

Broterto
Community Member

Multiple disconnections per week.  Making work from home very frustrating.  How can I possibly troubleshoot this? 

photonErik
Community Member

Here I thought I was the only one, and with a house full of kids and we exclusively stream, it happens at the most inconvenient times. I Upgraded from the mesh to the nest because of the increased speeds but these connection drops are for the birds. As soon as it happens I run right to my primary point and power cycle it and it gets us going usually within a minute or so but everyday or two has become quite an issue for us. Please fix or recall/replace these. I have tried restoring to factory and even went as far as replacing my cable modem. no change....however I reinstalled my old google mesh system was rock solid for weeks. Definitely a problem with the nest, hopefully a firmware update will fix this!! 

greystone
Community Member

having the same issue with 57.27 firmware.  Keeps dropping internet on just random devices.

wtfgoogle1
Community Member

This article was published about 2 weeks ago and seems relevant to our situation.

https://9to5google.com/2022/01/20/nest-google-wifi-offline-random/

MagicMarc
Community Member

Me too. Same problem. Really bad when I am on work zoom calls and get kicked out for a couple minutes while the router decides to let me back in.  I lose my IP for a while and then it comes back. Not sure what the google Wi-Fi router is doing.  Please fix this! 

EspenK65
Community Member

FWIW, I did disable both the preferred services and also IPv6, and it seems to have helped. Now at only 1 outage in the last week, compared to 1-2 daily outages before I did the changes.

MortenFOlesen
Community Member

I had similar problems which seem to be fixed.

I observed that the problem started when I upgraded to Windows 11 on my laptop. I use an external USB-C hub with ethernet. The ethernet connection was also frequently failing. I deleted the Realtek device in Device Manager and reinserted the hub. This was the only way I succeeded in updating the driver. After this update both the Realtek device in the USB-C hub as well as Google Wifi (FW 13729.57.27) has been working without problems.

Realtek driver with problems: 10.19.705.2017

Realtek driver running ok: 10.49.1102.2021

YMMV

Indylux
Community Member

Same problem. Very disturptive to work. Following and hoping for an update soon or the units will need to be replaced. 

I can only use the base router. Add a single access point and the network becomes unstable. 

CatKetch
Community Member

ICYMI ...https://9to5google.com/2022/01/20/nest-google-wifi-offline-random/

At least someone is paying attention to this issue apart from the long-suffering users posting on this thread. Will Google pay attention? Perhaps the prospect of the company's share price rising to $3200-$3900(!) a share - not to mention a possible ############ stock split - has distracted the firmware engineers from solving the problem they created in the first place!

Quest359
Community Member

also having similar issues.  random internet outages and extremely slow upload speeds. was solid up until the mid jan 2022.  

Nxt
Community Member

13729.57.27firmware here, started two days ago, nest router keeps disconnecting from my Comcast modem.     All internet stops for a random interval.      Something is definitely up with these things.

VetSysEngODS
Community Member

I have never seen a product that is supported less than the Google Wifi AC-1304.  Minimal information on it even if it is considered to be a legacy product.  Most companies keep better information accessible.  This latest version of the firmware 13729.57.27 is really garbage and a real pain to set up with Google home.  I would really expect more from Google and am disappointed in their product support.   I would really like to see them not put expansion and money first and step back to the days of quality.  The sad part is they really are not putting out any information on correcting their last mistake. 

Mattsrules
Community Member

Got the same issue as well, realized it about 1 week ago. Currently solve it by restarting the router but its annoying... Hoping its being fixed soon

someone needs to factory reset the Google AP/router and reconfigure it, to see if that fixes things.  I ran out of time this weekend.... otherwise, I had to add a 192.168.1.10 DNS entry into my L2 Cisco switch!! definitely the culprit is with the DNS since of clients. Windows 10 is more forgiving, but not so much is macOS and iOS.. 

Wavshrdr
Community Member

It is breaking all my smart switches, home automation everything in my house. I should have kept my EERO that worked amazing. What a piece of junk this thing is. Even my Pixel and Samsung phones drop as well. 

I don't have time to make something work that should just be an appliance. Shame on you Google! I am never buying another Google/Android product, use your web search, etc. I bought 3 of these pieces of crap to have good coverage in my house. My old WRT-54G router while slower, is rock solid.

mleica
Community Member

I also see problems, and my wifi points end up just going offline. Restarting or power cycling them does not help.

The only thing that gets them going for a bit it factory resetting and adding them back. I've been doing this about once  a week to keep things going but it definitely feels like a step backwards.

MichalJonko
Community Member

Same problem (1 router 1 mesh)! Sometimes it makes my homeoffice work impossible. Waiting for fix!

Wavshrdr
Community Member

I have totally given up. I am losing billable hours because of this issue. I ordered a competitor's product and will install this afternoon. Maybe I can sell the crap to someone on CL and they can wait for the fix.

wuziq
Community Member

Looks like there's at least a couple threads about this issue.  Wanted to add my experience as well.

• 4 Google WiFi pucks, model AC-1304, firmware 13729.57.27 on all
  • Worked super well up until recently.  "Great connection" on all points, mesh connection "great".  "Blazing fast" internet speed, according to the Google Home app's speed test.
  • Then in the last couple weeks or so:
    • Connection speed would seemingly drop to nearly 0.  Devices would stay connected to the mesh, but it looked as if the internet just wasn't working.  Then in the next minute or two, everything would be back to normal.
    • The Google Home app would notify me that one of the points was offline for minutes to hours at a time and is back online again.  No, they were on (according to the light) the whole time.
    • Mesh tests would sometimes fail with a message saying that I need to make sure the router is on and connected, which it never wasn't.
    • Mesh tests would sometimes say that one of my points was offline, which it never wasn't.
    • Speed tests would sometimes fail with "Speed test failed" "Please check to make sure your point is plugged in and connected to the internet", but again, they're all connected.  And then in the next moment, the speed test would pass with "your internet speed is blazing fast".
    • The Devices list in the Home app gets stuck on loading, sometimes saying "Something went wrong, try again later"
    • The Home app has said that, at 3:41 AM, "Your internet is slow because of network congestion.  Try reducing your usage.  If it continues, you an always upgrade your internet speeds."  This is when no one is awake.
    • The Home app has said that my network was offline, even though it wasn't.  Unplugging and plugging the router and points resolved this issue, though.
    • A network factory reset has not solved any problem.  It seems to have exacerbated these issues.

EricX
Community Member

I am experiencing your exact same issues. My wifi devices often show less than 5Mbps yet the Home App says everything is "blazing".  I think my old Red Devil Fios router was better...

Google is just being Google, almost every product they have is a glorified Beta test version, even their Pixel phones, which I was a user of before going back to Samsung. 

I think I'll replace this wifi system with one of the ones mentioned in this thread 

FuriousMB
Community Member

Alright, I'll jump in... about 3-4 weeks ago, I updated my work Mac to the latest version of Monterey. Almost immediately I started having internet drops, all day long. Working with the company IT to try all the Mac resets. Did all those. Even used my pixel as a hotspot using phone data to rule out the issue being my Google Mesh. Tested my Chromebook, worked fine on the hotspot. The Mac STILL droped the wifi and was lagging. Throughout this issues, no other machines in my house are experiencing this problem. Three other laptops, two gaming systems, phones, no drops... except for one day about a week ago. My chromebook, no drops. Today, IT guy asks me to check on the firmware on my Google Mesh as one final thing to check... I start looking... boom, version 13729.57.27. The part I don't get is... Only my Mac is being affected all day, every day. The other machines seem to be fine, however I am reading some of you go for a few weeks and then the problem starts again. So now I am at a loss... is this issue my Google Mesh, my Mac or both?

FuriousMB, Not sure that this will help you, but in my house, there are a lot of devices from different manufacturers (we cut the cord, so TVs are all streaming services etc..).  Also have a bunch of smart devices (Hue, Lutron, appliances).  I use a MacBook for work and I'm online all day, plus an iPad and two iPhones.  Partner uses a MS Surface and also has an iPhone, iPad mini and kindle.  

The issue with Google Mesh wifi do impact all of the devices when it happens.

n0m1s
Community Member

I was having problems weeks ago, my wifi cuts out for about 2-3 min and after that, it goes back online. 1 have 1 router + 2 rely points. One thing I've done is to completely shut down the routers, even the mesh point but also the internet router from my ISP. I kept these shut off for about 15 min. So the first thing I've done is to plug my ISP router and wait several minutes until all the lights turn on. After that, pluged my main Google Router into my ISP router and powered on. Since then, I have really subtle cutoff but not something frustrating. Crossing my fingers since then, and I hope that this can help out!

M8S
Community Member

You won't see any problems if you are only using nest router with no points. I tested this the other day as well.