cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Wifi points connected to ethernet wall outlet.

ak7808
Community Member

Hi, we have a google wifi  system (3 pack). The main google router is connected through our 1gig broadband service, wifi is great in certain areas of the house but not all. we have a large, wide house and the wifi in our bedroom is horrible. There is nowhere else I can move the bedroom point to get it closer to the main google router. I would like to hardwire my bedroom google point to the ethernet outlet in my bedroom wall. Is this doable or would i need an additional google router? 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

NestJoke
Community Member

yes , totally 

ak7808
Community Member

How? it's not working? All of our ethernet outlets are on and working but the point in our bedroom has horrible service even though it's plugged in? do i need to do something different on the app?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Hardwiring one Wifi point by itself is not recommended. Setups where you have some of your Wifi points hardwired and some not are much more likely to cause problems that are very hard to diagnose. The primary one being that if one of your non-hardwired Wifi points can establish even a weak connection back to your primary Wifi point it will do that, over connecting to an intermediate closer Wifi point, because it prefers the least hops to get back to the primary Wifi point. This is also the reason Google recommends placing your primary Wifi point as close as possible to the centre of your home. The best advice I can give you is to do one or the other, not both. Either build a pure mesh topology (i.e. don't hardwire any of the points via ethernet) and follow Google's placement guidelines, which it sounds like you're at at the limits of from what you said, or, build a full ethernet backhaul setup where all your Wi-Fi points are hardwired.

Hardwire Nest Wifi Pro, Nest Wifi or Google Wifi with Ethernet - Google Nest Help