cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Migrating from OnHub to Nest Wifi

JimDantin
Community Member

Like many long-time Google OnHub wifi users, I am facing the migration from my OnHub to a new Nest Wifi system. I have searched the Community and looked for best practices and suggestions for the cleanest way to do the migration. I do (sadly) understand that there is no automated process.

At this point I hope to find the optimum sequence of steps that will minimize problems and effort.

Without doubt, documenting the existing network is Step 1. IP subnet, DHCP reservations, SSID(s) . . .

What is next? Do I factory reset the existing system?

I would appreciate more info on the proper SEQUENCE of steps. I am a bit surprised that the Help system does not offer better information of this process. I do a lot of network troubleshooting for users in the ChromeOS and Pixel Communities. I have extensive troubleshooting write-ups for WiFi systems, but nothing for migrations like this.

I currently have an OnHub router, with a single Google WiFi mesh access point. I plan on replacing this with a Nest router and access point. I may also reuse the Google Wifi access point.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

1 Recommended Answer

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

When replacing the main/ master node, the only option in to factory reset it and all the other nodes, and set up the new one from scratch, then add mesh points.

If you make sure to use the same network name (SSID) and password for the new network, devices will reconnect by themselves.

The sequence is to first factory reset the whole network from the Google Home app.

And set up the new network from scratch:

I'd use the old Google Wifi as 2nd node instead of a Nest Wifi add-on point, as their equally fast on paper, but Google Wifi has ethernet ports.

I don't work for Google.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

When replacing the main/ master node, the only option in to factory reset it and all the other nodes, and set up the new one from scratch, then add mesh points.

If you make sure to use the same network name (SSID) and password for the new network, devices will reconnect by themselves.

The sequence is to first factory reset the whole network from the Google Home app.

And set up the new network from scratch:

I'd use the old Google Wifi as 2nd node instead of a Nest Wifi add-on point, as their equally fast on paper, but Google Wifi has ethernet ports.

I don't work for Google.

JimDantin
Community Member

Thank you! That is the information that I was looking for.

Am I correct that the setup flow will ask about the IP subnet? I need to match the same 192.168.86.x of the existing system.

I appreciate the suggestion to retain the existing Google WiFi node. I have no need for the speaker/Assistant feature of the Nest Wifi node, but I am concerned about future compatibility/updates. Am I unnecessarily worried?

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You do not get asked for subnet address by default. It defaults to 192.168.86.0/24 for primary network, and 192.168.87.0/24 for guest network.

I don't know about future compatibility. But a re-release of the Google Wifi puck, just with barrel plug instead of USB-C, after the release of Nest Wifi, is a strong hint that it won't be deprecated any time soon IMO. 🙂

I don't work for Google.

JimDantin
Community Member

Perfect. That matches my current OnHub subnets.

Thanks.