cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Poor Connection with Nest Camera- Works for ~24 hours and then needs factory reset?

FlightRT
Community Member

Hello, I am hoping that maybe someone has solved this before and has some ideas to try. 

About 6 months ago I finally upgraded from my OnHub Tp-Link router to a Google Nest Home Mesh Wifi setup and since then I have had constant problems getting only one of my Nest cameras to stay connected.  I have moved the points all over the house several times but eventually the camera will lose it's connection and then can never be found again until I perform a factory reset on it.  I notice the camera is always on the 5 gHz band, and even though it has a mesh point in the garage (which the app says has a great mesh connection) the camera will often 'forget' this point exists an attempt to connect to the main router on the 5 ghz.  My phone will get right on the access point and shows a very strong signal when I am on a ladder just by the camera.  My most recent setup has a point in the garage so less than 25 feet and one wooden wall between them.    It has made the camera essentially worthless.  I have several home hubs, a yale lock, nest doorbell camera, etc that all work perfectly without any issues.  It's just this one wired floodlight camera that won't stay connected.  I had worked fine for almost a year before I change the wifi routers.

Tricks or hints?  I tried to go back  to the TP-Link router (security be damned) and it looks like it can't even be set up through the home/wifi app anymore.  😞  This mesh system feels like such a downgrade.  It might be better in a few of the rooms but I don't feel like I can connect as far away from my house as I used to be able to do.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@FlightRT 

Google Nest Help has a topic on troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues; I don't know whether it will be of any use with your Google Mesh Wi-Fi situation, but here is the link:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9239727

Yeah, I've been through it several times with the camera support crew and the wifi support crew.   Everyone is blaming each other and many of their troubleshooting tips don't seem applicable (ie- I would love to force a 2.4 ghz connection but it doesn't seem like the mesh wifi allows for this). 

Honestly I wish I had never changed over from my original setup.  It was a perfect workhorse in every way, and I am kinda grumpy that google EOL'd it a railroaded me into such a downgrade.  

Thanks for the suggestion!

@FlightRT 

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad we have Linksys routers configured as wired Wi-Fi access points, rather than Google Wi-Fi.