cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Scheduled network restart

nickp001
Community Member

Is there a way to schedule a Nest WiFi network restart?  I know I can use a smart plug and schedule an off/on, but I'd rather use a native method if at all possible.

269 REPLIES 269

flyte
Community Member

Exact same issue with me as well. My setup:

1Gbps Fibre to Modem/Router combo to main nest router to switch to second nest router (in AP mode), and 2 APs

The issue affects both wired connections (speed test shows that was less than 1Mbps) as well as wifi. Only fix was to restart main router. 

Is it possible to use something, (tasker perhaps?) to perform this restart via the Google Home app? If not, I will have to seriously consider getting an electrical plug timer like others have suggested in this post. I can't believe we need to do this just to get reliable speeds. 

bds120
Community Member

You can already restart from the home app. What I do when it has become too slow is I will disconnect from the wifi and use regular cellular service which I then go into the settings and restart the network. 

flyte
Community Member

Of course you can restart from the home app. 

What this thread is about is "Scheduled Network Restart".. So how can I schedule a restart from the home app? Can't be done natively.. so I am asking if using an automation driver, (like tasker) would work. 

bds120
Community Member

That's what I'm saying from the Home app you can restart your network. You can't schedule a restart but you can restart. Just go under the home app, then under features you will see Nest Wifi, select it and then scroll to the bottom and then select restart. I usually just restart when I wake up in the morning. But I will say since I have updated my DNS to use Google, mine has not been slowing much. Been a week and still hitting good numbers. I was using Cloudflare's DNS. Still testing it out at the moment.

Screenshot_20220620-151532.png

flyte
Community Member

Well thanks, I guess, for your reply even though it is not addressing anything in my post. 

I knew we can restart the network via Google Home App... which is exactly why I asked if we could automate that by asking: 

"Is it possible to use something, (tasker perhaps?) to perform this restart via the Google Home app?" 

Perhaps your post may help someone that didn't understand how to restart the network. 

bds120
Community Member

Oh, I got ya. The answer to your question is no unless you have the ability to longing to your main router and reboot it on a schedule. More than likely will need the physical wall pull to do it for you.

cboldwyn
Community Member

Same issue. Have to restart router every 24-72 hours to address degradation to speed over time. Following.

MastaQui
Community Member

I have the 4 pack ( router and 3 points)

For the last 8 months, have to restart everyday to return speed to the network. All streams load in the lowest quality possible until restarting the network.

It's been a horrid experience with a smart home. Only got them because att fiber modem has tons of issues with chrome devices.

But more control over the network, which is exactly what competitors give you, would be better

Pyronius
Community Member

Adding myself to this list. I've had the pre-Nest wifi pucks for years and they've worked great until just about a month or so ago, we've had to go to resetting the main puck every day now. 

mtibbett67
Community Member

Having the same issues everybody else has. 

Pyronius
Community Member

Question for everyone else here having this issue, do you also have a switch plugged into the LAN port to feed physical  connections down stream from the main puck?

I found one thread where someone actually got to troubleshooting with a Google engineer and they found if they unplugged the switch/device from the LAN port on the main router(puck), then rebooted it, waited for it to completely restart and then plugged the downstream switch back in the issue did not come back.. I'm at day 2 since testing this and things are still working normally.  (I had to reset at least once a day prior). 

Eraser
Community Member

I have 2 Nest routers both have 1 or more unmanaged switches downstream. I've been rebooting daily on the main router via a timer on the electrical outlet. This seems to have fixed the problem for the most part, but the 2nd router doesn't get rebooted daily and still has the issue but seemingly only on a weekly basis.

I'll be interested in hearing how things play out for you all before trying this. Based on my prior troubleshooting I think this is only  a temporary fix. In the past I did a full factory reset on the routers and the issue returned, although not in the usual 24 hours as it does now.  Regardless, please keep us posted on the results.

vldr
Community Member

Yep. I do have a switch connected to the main puck. Will try it out later today

vldr
Community Member

Did the test by unplugging the switch and restarting the router. Didn't help. Slowdowns are back...

Snow
Community Member

I do indeed have an unmanaged switch off of the main router.  I will test restarting the network with it disconnected and report back.  As of now, I'm in the daily reboot category.

akasabine
Community Member

Just jumping in to say having the same issues as everyone here with network slowing down every 1/2 days until restart. Will try a few suggestions from this thread thanks but would love to hear from google on this as their product is clearly faulty.

pretzel11
Community Member

Also piling on. I have to restart my network at least twice daily. 

Jagpa23
Community Member

I'm also seeing slow downs and connection issues, mostly with our phones that are connected to the network. The phones are all pixels and also on Google Fi.

godfada1986
Community Member

This is the same problem that's been plaguing me ever since I installed my Google Nest Wifi (one hub and one point) several years ago. I've just been hating it and dealing with it because I don't want to rebuild my entire network with something new, though the aggravation is definitely becoming serious enough that I'm considering swapping back to a regular router mesh. Like everyone else here, performance just degrades and degrades until it's literally unusable - I have to reboot both my WiFi points every 1-2 weeks.

richbutler1
Community Member

Wtf? So many reported issues and nothing being done for so long. Class action lawyer in this thread? This could affect someone's life, emergency services, e911, etc. Let me know if you need a class lead. richbutler1 on Google's email platform.

Most places in the US internet connectivity are not an approved source of required emergency services. (Even if you elect to use them as a business, usually it was to be redundant, LAN/Cellular).

That being said. Do you have a switch plugged into the lan port on your primary puck? Try unplugging whatever is chained off your lan port, and rebooting your system.  I did this almost two weeks ago and it has not come back since. 

I have a switch connected to my puck, I will try this! Thanks for the tip - I will update in a few weeks (near the end of July) with my anecdotal results.

Update after 5 days:

Unfortunately, this suggestion did not fix my issue either. My gigabit speeds were down to 14 Mbps this morning; after resetting my router and point, I'm back up to 450 Mbps.

Looks like it's either:

(1) deal with the problem and reboot every 4-7 days

(2) factory reset and reconnect all 35+ devices

(3) go with a non-Google solution

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vldr
Community Member

Tried it and didn't work. 

Daronlatta
Community Member

Following. Same issue. I wish I would have never went google at this point. My everything is Google and I'm about to switch. Sucks to put so much money time and effort into a product and it fails you constantly

I hate apple but man it is starting to look good

FrankNobody
Community Member

I have been having the same issues now for a couple of years. Restart does help but last week the whole network just crapped out. I had to factory reset all the Mesh points and start from scratch. Today my speed went from 130 to 45 in the study, after reseting the network it was ok again. Im getting very tired of this. 

jculverhouse
Community Member

I had 1 router and 1 point for almost 2 months and not a single problem (all brand new, bought from Google store in 2022). I recently added another (brand new) point in the basement because coverage down there was spotty. Now I've had to reboot both points 2 times in the last 3 days because there was just zero Internet. So, subscribing to this thread so I can watch for "fixes".

mschwarzzz
Community Member

Same network degradation issues here, both on Ethernet attached devices and wifi attached devices from Nest router.  Reboot and everything back to 600mpbs/30mbps (down/up).  I turned OFF preferred activities yesterday and seems to be OK after one day.  If degradation comes back, will then try the DNS settings 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 suggested.  If that doesn't help, then going to homedepot to get a power timer to turn off at 3:00am and back on at 3:01am to cause nightly reboot.  What a hassle!

btw, I started noticing network degradations about 6+ weeks ago.  Everything has been fine for years prior.

So I had the router and 3 pucks (4 APs total) and always had the issue in a 3k sq foot home (two story home so basically vertically stacked and tons of overlap).

I was able to 90% solve my issue by reducing down to just the one main router (no longer on mesh) and I've restarted maybe twice since I posted this. The restarts were to help one galaxy tablet.

Eraser
Community Member

Rebooting certainly fixes the issue, at least temporarily. If you reconnect the nodes just keep in mind those all will need to be rebooted as well not just the main router. A software reboot will do the trick to reboot all nodes and the main. If you use a outlet timer to do it automatically you'll need one connected to every node as well. 

MastaQui
Community Member

Agreed, I'm def an anti-mesh system at the moment. Sticking to just the router, but I moved it from my closet to the upstairs game room (after having ATT connect to the pre installed Ethernet port) 

I'd only do a mesh if we end up buying another house on land (acre or so) and wanting to mesh the outside

flyte
Community Member

Well, I gave it a good and honest shot at making this product work as it should. After buying 2x 2 packs (router + speaker) to augment the mesh network, the constant dropping of internet and device connectivity, (both wifi devices and hard wired devices would not work until the hard power cycle of the router), trying to find an auto-reboot solution with my smart plugs, .... I couldn't take it any more. 

I think everyone here should really look at all of these issues reported on these forums.. (not just this thread) and come to the hard conclusion that the purchase of this product has been a total waste of money. The quicker you come to this conclusion, the better off you'll be, albeit the waste of money. 

We all should be upset.. not only at Google for not supporting their faulty product and their customer base, but to also those reviewers on the YouTubes / tech sites that highly recommended the product.. sheesh.. 

I have moved on. I didn't want to break the bank on purchasing a replacement mesh system since I have already wasted much money on the Nest, but I went with the LinkSys Velop AX4200 mesh system (1 main router, 2 hard wired access points, (which are the exact same device as the main router)). Bonus that it has a USB port on each so you can easily get a NAS set up. While not perfect, it is lightyears better than the old Nest setup that I had. 

Move on.... don't look back... 

How would smart plug work for reboot in this case? When the plug off, your wifi is off, so no way to turn back 

Tapo smart plug don’t have this problem. The schedule off then on it back. 

Thanks

Do you need to set this for each of the points? or only the main router?

Main router will do.

JeromeHou
Community Member

Same problem here.  It is very frustrating.  Any ETA on the fix?  Or at least add the feature to schedule a network reset once a day.

Eraser
Community Member

This has been going on for nearly a year, not to mention Google appears to be getting ready to release a new version.  That said, I think the chances of this issue getting fixed are pretty much zero.

richbutler1
Community Member

I spent $70 on a TP-Link ax1500 wifi6 router and now match my max wan speed of 300mpbs on a laptop in next room, covering 900 sq.ft no problem no extenders needed. Got the nest wifi as all my other items are Google/nest. No more. Going to sell my other setup in 2500 SW ft house with 3 unit nest wifi setup. Going with Asus or tp link there. Done with this nonsense