cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

WiFi icon disappearing on Google Home app

ben1760
Community Member

Just wanted to make sure the issue of the wifi icon and the testing of the Google wifi network is still being investigated.  For some reason I lost the wifi icon in Google Home and I have no way to test the network or see what devices are on my network.  I currently am experiencing network instability and I have a several Google wifi points and 1 Google Nest router. 

I will try to reset all of them to see if that would affect Google Home.  But apparently the problem of the wifi icon disappearing in Google Home is still an issue.

87 REPLIES 87

Msmuell
Community Member

I am having a related problem. The wi-fi icon shows up but when I tap on it nothing happens. I need to change my password but can’t get access to do so. 
I also don’t wish to do a factory reset, etc. 

What should I do? 

alexdelara
Community Member

Shame **bleep** here: on Android, this friggin unintuitive app refuses to show the wifi settings.  Why in the frigging hell google take away a desktop version ?

alexdelara
Community Member

Thanks for posting ben1760 .... It's not just a matter of "knowing which devices are there". I also need to make actual changes to the firewall and port forward to placate my company's IT department because, you know, we all work from home these days....
I just got off of a chat support and had no lucky there... they just confirmed the network is fine, no outages in the area, even though the 1 gig service is just at 256mbps dl and 534 mpbs up.

ben1760
Community Member

Yes, I also did change some of my firewall settings and port forwarding on my router, however, I feel that was a few months before the Wifi icon disappeared, so I am not sure it is related.  What I ended up doing is resetting all the wifi endpoints and starting over.  So reset my FIOS home router, reset my Google Wifi mesh routers and my Google Nest Wifi Routers, and reinstalled Google Home App--basically started from the beginning.  Reinstalled every wifi point and the Google Wifi icon returned! and has been in place for a few months.

Not sure why it happened in the first place but I guess you have to start from scratch.  Maybe a software update that killed the application.

Ben

Thanks the reply Ben,

Nothing or something similar. I had the firewall and port forwarding for some time... definitely no connection with the problem.

No software updates on the phone either.. you see, it's a LG-V20 running Android 8.0.0 because LG AND TMOBILE are just SITTING ON THEIR ASSES and never provided any update... anyway  🙂

Already rebooted the access point, the router itself (power off/power on), the phone itself, removed and reinstalled the Home app to no avail.. when trying to add a device, it just spins a little and goes quiet.

Oh yeah, also tried on an old Asus TF-700 tablet that did not help either.

There is no way I'm factory resetting the phone but I will probably factory reset the google router tomorrow when I'm home alone (no kids to yell because the "internet is down").

I'll post an update of the outcome.. might help someone else.

-alex

alexdelara
Community Member

Well, nothing worked for me until I "factory reset" the **bleep** thing... absolutely un-intuitive interface too.

Sfernald
Community Member

I’m having the same problem. Internet is fine but Wi-Fi icon is missing. Things were greate when the Google Wi-Fi app was still in use. What a piece of **bleep** this Google software and hardware is. I can’t disturb my network so I can’t do a network reset this is complete bull**bleep** google. 

Sorry dude, and I agree. This whole shenanigan is complete bull**bleep**.... imagine if you have to disassemble your car or destroy the house to rebuild just because it's either out of gas or no water... (yah, not good analogy but.. oh, here's another: factory reset your phone and get pissed off because some thing was not working anymore....) who can put up with that ?

This "hard reset", factory settings became the universal bull**bleep** in the computer world when they don;'t want to fix the software.

No matter what I tried, power off, uninstall app, reinstall all, the only thing that worked was factory reset.. and that is a oxen crap !

I had to take basically an afternoon off to bounce my two wifi googles....  and of course, all devices went dead and I had to re-login them all, ALL of the suckers.

The cherry on the top (or, the salt on the wound) was that my Epson WF-2540 stop talking to the network becase I'm pretty sure, the router dropped support for WPA-PSK (AES), but then, it's Epson's fault for putting crappy security protocols in first place.

JasonCF
Community Member

same issue. i also noticed when i click on one of the points in the Home App that it says it cannot connect to cloud. I saw one of the earlier comments from the expert was to turn a cloud setting on but that can only be done after clicking the wifi iocn in Home but the icon is not visible. so how? 

i have newest version of nest router and 3 points.  using IOS latest version.  

muttley79
Community Member

Same here within Galaxy S21

Just dissapeared all of a sudden yesterday.

The home was reset, had to add all devices from scratch but no way to access the wifi icon or network settings.

Trying to add a google wifi via the plus button does nothing 

I'm afraid you will have to factory reset the google routers.. that's the only operation that brought those icons back. I picked a Monday morning when everyone was away from home and did the reset, both routers. Then the icons magically came back even thought the WiFI and routing was working just fine. (I only noticed they were gone because I needed to add another port forwarding.)

The thing is I dont have the current config (port forwarding, reserved ips) written out.

And who's to say it won't happen again.   😞

Allen1
Community Member

I factory reset router and point,  then all my google devices all seems ok now

SMACANU
Community Member

This WIFI-icon disappearing from HOME-app is inexcusable!  My Home-app ran FOR OVER A YEAR without this 'disappearing wifi icon' problem.  Then, on 21 Mar 2022 I woke up to the missing icon.  I have tried everything suggested in THIS THREAD - to no avail.  I make NO CHANGES to my network or other devices, and the WIFI-icon just went missing.     There must be another app that will work for managing a GOOGLE NEST NETWORK  The old GOOGLE WIFI APP always worked well.  WHY THE HELL IS THE APP THAT ACTUALLY WORKED, THE WIFI APP, NOT AVAILABLE anymore😡    Is this the thanks you get from Google for buying all Google routers & devices & phones??

Sfernald
Community Member

It's such a piece of **bleep**. Google should really get out of the router biz if they can't build a decent admin app that actually works. I have no idea what's going on on my network and I can't afford to take it down right now. I really wish I had bought some other router like the Amazon router instead!

SMACANU
Community Member

🚩I guess the impossible has happened - again.  This is 28 MARCH 2022:  my NEW WIFI NETWORK, WHICH I JUST CREATED DAYS AGO TO GET AROUND MY ORIGINAL WIFI NETWORK DISAPPEARING 😡😡HAS  this morning DISAPPEARED ALSO 

SMACANU
Community Member

🚩

I guess the impossible has happened - again.  This is 28 MARCH 2022:  my NEW WIFI NETWORK, WHICH I JUST CREATED DAYS AGO TO GET AROUND MY ORIGINAL WIFI NETWORK DISAPPEARING

HAS  this morning DISAPPEARED ALSO

muttley79
Community Member

Just a quick update, that I broke down and factory reset my network (first the router, then the APs). After re-configuring the network, the icon came back.

It's stupid and definitely not a "solution", but I understood that this is the only way. 

I don't know about why it went missing, but I do understand why I can't add it again without factory reset 😞

xXJamesXx
Community Member

Same issue, you can greatly improve this app by tossing it in the waste basket. I litterally hate this app. I was perfectly fine with the last one

My solution to this GOOGLE NEST FIASCO was to buy far, far superior routers from TPLINK.  I bought 🚩TPLINK DECO W7200 MESH routers that are WIFI-6. 

These TPLINK routers are cheaper than these **bleep** NEST routers (that are WIFI-5).  The TPLINK MESH routers are also at least, based on my measurements with various WIFI-TOOLS, 3.5X FASTER than GOOGLE NEST.

My first TPLINK speed tests measured 350 Mbps - compared to the very best I ever got from GOOGLE of 85Mbps.

I only need two (2) TPLINK W7200 ROUTERS to cover the same area as I needed 4 GOOGLE NEST routers

BTW:  I do not have any personal, nor professional, relationship with either Google or TPLINK.  I just want a **bleep** network that functions - without playing hide 'n seek with me.  I want a company (😡clearly not Google) that gives a **bleep** about me!  I want a company that can spend some of its $3Trillion-MarketValue on putting out a functioning product.

Update, I got a one way communication from google (I refuse to cap the g) but anyway I get an auto generated email telling me to click the wifi button. If the drones at google can read, then they would know that my complaint is,

"I HAVE NO WIFI BUTTON!"

Gives an evil stare right into their google eyes

Sfernald
Community Member

I wonder if Google IT admin their own network using this app on their phone?

What’s that, having an issue with the network?

Please hit the Wi-Fi button but if it’s gone you’re completely **bleep**ed and you need to reimplement your entire network including all of gmail and your Google search engine!

LeonardoT
Community Member

I have the same issue, the wifi icon disappeared. Is there any solution?

Thanks!

xXJamesXx
Community Member

I told them my wifi button was gone.

They replied, "Try clicking the wifi button."

google is a Trillian dollar industry and this is the best they could do. Dude if you don't have a lot of money tied up in your google products, then my advice to you would be "avoid google like the plague" their tech support team is eitber stupid and lazy or they just don't give two bleeps about their customers. That said,,,

I reset everything to factory, removed and reinstalled the app shut everything down rebooted and I finally got it back. I'm not sure which action fixed it. Good luck with it.

kshah100
Community Member

This issue has been going on for over 6 months since August 2021 and it’s a shame Google isn’t bothered to fix it. Like many users pointed out resetting the entire wood network seems to be the only solution, but still the work icon disappears randomly post reset. Can’t keeep resettting. Please address this bug 

bv660
Community Member

I found a solution . . .

Replaced Nest with TP-Link x55 wifi 6 . . . faster system . . . a working app and much less expensive than Nest. I have had Nest for about 2 years and in that time 2 of the points went belly up and had to be replaced.

SMACANU
Community Member

TPLINK products do seem quite reliable.  My TPLINK SOLUTION  from little over 2-weeks ago remains terrific.  It was much cheaper than GOOGLE's out-of-date MESH network.  It is definitely almost 4-times FASTER THAN GOOGLE.  ♦️ I spent over 30 years on NETWORKING PRODUCTS.  Hopefully TPLINK will actually care for its customers by solving the kinds of problems that GOOGLE will not solve. 

SMACANU
Community Member

My solution to this GOOGLE NEST FIASCO was to buy far, far superior routers from TPLINK.  I bought

SMACANU_0-1650021715561.png

TPLINK DECO W7200 MESH routers that are WIFI-6. 

bv660
Community Member

My first intro to wifi with repeaters was the TP-Link OnHub. Major improvement over Linksys routers. I would probably still be using it except when I upgraded to mesh the OnHub was not compatible with the Google branded mesh.

TP-Link has several mesh models including one that looks a lot like an upgraded OnHub (Deco x-90) but I chose the x-55 because the layout of my home creates dead spots and I need at least 3 units for full coverage.

anonuser14
Community Member

I have the same issue. No WiFi app icon. Force me to migrate apps so that this can happen? What a joke.

I haven’t changed anything recently, but the app did have a stroke a couple months ago and google seemed to lose all my rooms and other info I had created over the years. But I guess that’s normal for Google software — my nest thermostat does the same thing every few months.

Same iPhone 13 I’ve had for a long time. Same app. Migrate to home app last year no problem. Had been using it to manage everything fine now it’s just gone.

I first documented my GOOGLE PROBLEMS OF THE DISAPPEARING ICONS for WIFI 28 March 2022.  It happened a 2nd time about 10 days later after following Google's :

"helpful advice"!   

☘️Subsequent to these 😡GOOGLE-INDUCED-DISASTER S where I lost my network of several years 🍀I lucked into the TP-LINK MESH ROUTERS. 

♦️Today is 4 May & TPLINK MESH continues to work beautifully        And the TPLINK MESH operates with fewer routers than Google &   🎈🎈all of my STONE WALLS APPEAR TO BE NO PROBLEM

How many devices can connect on that system?

I replaced my GOOGLE MESH ROUTERS with TP-LINK MESH ROUTERS that are a generation beyond the Google Mesh.  TP-LINK is WIFI-6.  TP-LINK  routers cost about 2/3 💲💲 that the out-of-date Google Mesh cost (today's prices}.

My 4️⃣ (4) TP-LINK MESH ROUTERS have replaced 6 Google Mesh routers. 

The TP-LINK MESH ROUTERS provide 3-to-4 times the speed of the Google Mesh routers. 

The TP-LINK MESH ROUTERS seem to work much better through 18"-THICK-STONE WALLS, which I have everywhere.  And the walls are both external & internal (between rooms).

I am considering ADDING A PERIPHERAL TP-LINK MESH ROUTER (different than my new TP-LINK MESH NETWORK).

James9
Community Member

Same problem.  Went to check network and no wifi icon in the home app.  Google is losing my confidence.  I hae to trash a $250 wifi setup just because I can't administer it anymore.  The hardware is fine.  Sad.

DwainDouglas
Community Member

My Wifi button just disappeared.   Any solution yet?

Mcgillhere
Community Member

Same problem. Super frustrating. I had hoped to blame apple and upgraded my iPhone 11 to a brand new android. I reset everything.. Everything….!Within the apps, network, etc. even upgraded my router from Google wifi with two points to one nest router with one mesh. It was a headache and a half resetting everything but at this point, I knee deep so I went all in!.. (Might as well, to use the features in my home am I once loved.. right? Wrong!)! The problem returned after just a few months when my router spontaneously disappeared, followed by connected devices one by one over time leaving me with just two media devices, losing approx 70.  About a month ago, I was feeling optimistic and AGAIN reached out to Google wifi support  She first confirmed the network was up and running, (Obviously) but we both were perplexed that there was no record of any wifi network connected to email addresses associated to any and all emails we have used or use 

After a lengthy investigation, followed by a factory reset to both router and mesh, the network flawlessly became visible within the app. . I was pleased to find most of my configured personal devices were there… just as I left them, name and all! But the relief was short lived as I no longer can access my router settings, for the FORTH time… after a few short weeks of user ability..   
This has wasted more time than any project leach I’ve ever tried to tackle. Not to mention the lack of network monitoring and any potential vulnerabilities. Gah! 

Rugbynut
Community Member

Same problem - no wifi icon. I have non google router and AP and only 3 chromecast devices managed by Google Home app on iOS - looking at thread  this is horse **** if it requires factory reset of all network components to fix -it’s been an issue for more than 9 months  shame on you Google……

lakehome
Community Member

I noticed any google support information has dropped out of this thread months ago.  And still no fix. It’s looks like they have a totally incompatible design. Need to put google wifi app back into service

xXJamesXx
Community Member

Yeah unfortunately it looks like google support must be out there in BFE with the wifi icon, because they have disappeared as well.

By George that's it!
google support has gone down the toilet, and they've taken the wifi icon with them right where crap 💩 belongs.

ToddMcQuaid
Community Member

I don't have "Nest", I have the older Google Wifi pucks.  I also have the same problem.  I had three locations in the Google Wifi App, each with a Google Wifi network and they always worked well with that app (I still use it for some things because it's simply better).  One day I went to look at the network in one of the locations using the Home app and there is no Wifi Icon showing under the appropriate "Home" in Google Home - For what it's worth, the same network disappeared from the (now read only) Google Wifi app.  I can see the other networks in the Google Wifi & Home apps just fine.  My wife has two of the three networks on her Home app but we never set up the third  - fortunately, the network that disappeared from my Home/Google Wifi apps show in hers.  I had her send me an invitation to manage the network and it fails to add to Google Home Home saying "Unable to add at this time".  I tried to get online/telephone support from google for the issue but that ended with an unspecified error and I gave up in frustration and was thankful I could access my network on at least one device.  Any updates anyone with a resolution would be appreciated.