cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

extending google wifi to garage

LChamp
Community Member

I am trying to extend my wifi to garage.  I currently have Google Wifi with one point as router connected to modem by Spectrum Cable.  There are two points placed in my home and I did put one in the garage.  The one in the garage does provide a "Good" connection, but not a great connection.

My question is this....if I connect a CAT 5 cable to my current router using the LAN port and run that to the point in the garage and connect to the LAN port will it improve the strength of the signal??

5 REPLIES 5

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @LChamp 

Yes, you can do this, and it's recommended to get coverage to outbuildings or even just parts of the home that aren't close enough to the primary/router Google WiFi unit to get a "great" mesh test rating. You can even use an inexpensive, unmanaged Ethernet switch connected to the primary/router Google WiFi unit's LAN Ethernet port to make more ports available to connect other secondary/point Google WiFi units, or just computers, streaming video devices, printers, gaming consoles, etc. Here's a help article with more details: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7215624?hl=en 

LChamp
Community Member

So I have connected a CAT 5 cable to my LAN port on the router and also connected it to the LAN port on the wifi point in the garage.   Do I need to do anything else to reconfigure  connections???

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

No, you shouldn't need to do anything else. As long as that cable is working properly, it should connect through it and "just work". To check on it, use the Google Home app and look at the details for that remote Google WiFi unit in the garage. Under "Wi-Fi Information", it should say "wired" next to "Connection type". I would probably also run a mesh test after making the connection and verifying it says "wired" for that secondary/point and make sure the test results say "Great connection" for it. If it is wired, but the mesh test says "weak", the cable may only be managing to carry 100Mbps instead of the full 1Gbps. If that happens, test that cable to be sure all four twisted pairs are working properly. I would also think about putting an inexpensive unmanaged Ethernet switch on each end of that cable run. That will provide some electrical isolation (better to replace a couple of $25 Ethernet switches than have to replace a couple of router/point units after a lightning strike), and having those switches will make more Ethernet ports available for other equipment in both locations.

LChamp
Community Member

Thanks so much for the help.  It did improve the connection on the point in the garage.  Good advice about the Ethernet switches.  I do have a conduit that I will be pulling this through as well.  Thanks again.

LChamp
Community Member

Thank you I will try this.