cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Secure Dropped but what about my extra Detects

VTron21
Community Member

Since Google has just now announced that it will drop support for the Nest Secure in 1 Year.  I, as well as many others, will need to look at replacing the system.  The offer of a free replacement of the Nest Secure starter kit (Nest Secure and 2 Nest detects) with the ADT Equivalent is nice.  But I have more than 2 Nest Detects.  I actually have 5, 3 being used for Doors and windows and 2 as just motion sensors.  While the ADT Equivalent is said to come with 2 Dore/Window sensors and 1 motion sensor, I'll still need another Door/Window sensor and 1 motion sensor.

So, My Question is:  Will the Nest Detects work with this ADT System? and if not, will there be a credit of some sort for these additional sensors I will need to purchase when getting their ADT Equivalents?

72 REPLIES 72

framici
Community Member

Short term rents requirement. Smoke alarms need to not notify adt for smoke at co2. This system failed me and my whole Airbnb group 

VTron21
Community Member

Honestly that sounds like trying to do business stuff with home stuff. Basically you went the cheap route and now it's biting you in the butt.

framici
Community Member

Nest stuff was not cheap. I love your comment. It’s your fault.  Each house was almost 2k of nest equipment.  Now google ruined it as they do anything they touch while telling folks it will be better.  I advice Is run run away. Event to get just ADT and remove all Google is probably the best bet 

VTron21
Community Member

your right, the Nest stuff is not cheap... but guess what.  You only need to replace the alarm system and nothing else.  I spent a whopping $60 to get all of the extra door/window/motion sensors I needed for my place.  Where that cost was around $400 with the Nest secure.

framici
Community Member

We have hot wired the adt smoke alarm to the nest smoke alarm so it will trip both ways. This way we can keep similar functionality  

daenhaus
Community Member

Bismark you said," You have to give ADT the code key to get that information."  What code key are you talking about?

Bismark
Community Member

The code was in the email Google sent me with announcement of the end date for the system.

framici
Community Member

Don’t do it. The ADT stuff is so cheap and it came with three dead batteries. The sticky tape on the sensors doesn’t stick and it falls off. The smoke detector keeps chirping even after battery replacement. 

RandallD23
Community Member

Everyone go sign the petition here: https://www.change.org/SaveNestSecure 

RandallD23
Community Member

Do not get the ADT package google offered! I decided to try it out and the devices and operation is complete garbage! Google stated it would have the monitoring free for one year, but I have already been charged a monthly $8 fee! I spent 10 hours on the phone with ADT trying to get that fee refunded and to close my account and get a refund and I couldn’t even get through to anyone who could help me. It was hours of sitting on hold and getting the runaround. I’m going to have to spend the day again trying to get it taken care of!!!  ADT is a completely dishonest company, and horrible! If you call the number to sign up for a new account  someone picks right up, but when you call the number for customer service no one will answer! Stay away from this tricky offer!!

I have the ADT package.  I've yet to be charged a cent for anything other than the additional 2 door/window sensors I purchased.  @RandallD23 did you ever find out what the $8 was for?

After 10 hours of calls to ADT and two days spent on the phone, no one could tell me what the charge was for. They only could see that it was “reoccurring” I’ve cancelled everything, sent back the equipment and supposedly they are issuing a refund for the two additional devices I ordered and the $8 charge. We will see…

scotsue
Community Member

Thank you for posting this, Randall. It doesn't surprise me that it's a lure to reel us into another costly environment. Maybe after you get heavily invested in ADT, they will render it disabled as well. The main reason I'm not taking the bait is I don't want them thinking I think it's a good enough substitute to want it. It is NOT. I spent thousands of dollars for them to disable it and get what in return-a $200.00 system that won't come close in size and scope to what I already have, what I'm already use to, and what I already trust using. I used to like Google, I don't anymore.

VTron21
Community Member

@scotsue ADT has been around longer than Google. And I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.  

scotsue
Community Member

Me and thousands of other people didn't see our Nest Secure going away anytime soon either. ADT might not be going away any time soon, but Googles partnership or support for them easily could. 

VTron21
Community Member

Guess it's a good thing Google doesn't actually support them.

Jmoney81
Community Member

Google owns ADT, they purchase them four years ago after roll out with nest secure which was partnered with brinks. 

framici
Community Member

Google touch means they may not be around much longer. 

scotsue
Community Member

I'm getting emails stating that they will be locking these threads. I guess they don't want us talking about this anymore.

GrayGeek
Community Member

If I wanted to go with a **bleep** third party ripoff company like ADT, I would not have spent so much on a Nest Secure/Guard based system that I could monitor myself!  I can see from this message stream that I am hardly the only one.

Anyone tried to migrate to OpenHab?

Gyosydave
Community Member

Does the ADT come w a doorbell cam?

No, it doesn’t. It comes with the most basic generic package they could do. It has a hub (which is huge!) 2 door sensors and a motion sensor. The equipment is cheap and so generic. I couldn’t even get mine to work properly and spent DAYS trying to get it cancelled and get a refund for the additional equipment I purchased. It was such a headache! ADT customer service is the worst and it takes hours to even get someone on the phone, literally the first time I waited 4 hours to speak with someone, then they weren’t even the right person and put me on hold again for 2 hours! It literally took me two 10 hour days to even get my service cancelled. I’d stay away!

ADT now offers the new Nest Doorbell for the system.  You would need to pay for it as the kit they offer does not include it.

framici
Community Member

Basically nothing from nest will work with adt. A few cameras. Nosmoke alarms 

framici
Community Member

With the end of nest secure ends nest as we know it. It won’t work with half the cameras or nest lock or smoke/co2 detectors. You will even need to buy and a nest connect to reset up the system after secure is removed. They are not going to help. We are documenting a way to only by one adt smoke detector and wire for it to set off by nest smoke alarms. I’ll keep you posted. We also trialing simply safe as a full replacement. Basically you have to replace the whole system. They say they may support nest products but I wouldn’t hold my breath 

VTron21
Community Member

Only the newest cameras show in the ADT app, the ones that don't require the Nest app.  Literally everything else except the nest alarm system and the 2 oldest cameras will continue to work with the Google home and Nest apps.  The ADT app is not required.  No need to replace everything.

framici
Community Member

Nest smoke detectors will not trigger adt response like brinks. lock doesn’t disable alarm like nest. Once secure is removed you need to buy nest connect to make the nest side to work. In the end you have three apps.  Next ,Google home and adt 

VTron21
Community Member

Only the Nest Yale lock needs the connect.  Everything else is either matter thru a hub max or direct WiFi.  The Nest app is going away eventually, they've been porting the devices over to the home app.  Can do most everything there now.

I don't know if the nest protects would alert brinks, I don't have one.

Jmoney81
Community Member

Just thinking back nest secure was security system with brinks as the monitor, so only thing that needs replacing is nest secure devices key chains and sensors. I just ordered mine today, I come back after Wednesday what’s I found out will work and what I will need to replace

Jmoney81
Community Member
  • It doesn’t work like advertised, nest cams doesn’t integrate! U still have to use the nest app for video, no 24/7 save footage like nest aware and nest detect offered, no pathway lighting, door and wall sensor are not interchangeable! It’s just a basic under engineered mess! I’m very disappointed in the so called upgrade from Nest Dect to this ADT Crap! I have been a nest dect customer/user for almost 4.5 years, this ADT system took me back in past like 10 years. The user feel and hardware are outdated! My grandmother home was installed with wireless sensors back in 2003! It’s basically the same hardware just the brain is packaged into a smaller united with back up battery and key pad integrated together! Nest Dect was much smaller package and it user interface was much friendly and better engineered! Vivit and simply safe is the better option since nest Dect will no longer be supported via goggle starting April 2023!

Kindnessfirst
Community Member

Does anyone know how to start a class action suit against Google for selling products that will not be supported? They are still commercially available-I purchased multi year warranties -with no intent to honor. I think we would all sign up. I've got three cameras, five detects, and a secure in a neighborhood that NEEDS a security system. I put it in this year and there's no way I can afford another.  Does anyone have a contact?

Jmoney81
Community Member

I support you! Cause this ADT+ is garbage, they have shifted me around, five different numbers, I just wanna upgrade back to my nest aware plus like I had. Still no resolution, I think ADT trying to get me to pay for a pro install! Why idk! This have been a very inconvenient transition! 

scotsue
Community Member

I support this too. Thousands of dollars spent that will soon be purposely bricked by the very company I bought these devices from. If they want to end support for old devices, I can understand that. But to intentionally kill these devices off and make them complete unusable overnight should be against the law. And then to offer a pittance with a competitor to what they’re killing off, is bait and switch, which is supposed to be against the law. But in the end, I suspect they will still do it, and get away with it.