cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest secure ending: what goes away on 4/8?

sjlee
Community Member

Exactly what is going to happen on 4/8? I've gotten several emails about Nest Secure ending on 4/8, but the exact picture is not entirely clear to me. This is so far what I gleaned from the emails:

- Nest guard won't work

- Nest Yale door lock won't work (without Nest Connect)

- Nest detect won't work

How about the Nest doorbell? Nest cameras? Automations? Nest aware?

On a side note, I've also signed up to get the ADT stuff, and I was able to import Nest cams onto ADT. But for some reason my Nest doorbell (wired) didn't come over, and I don't see an obvious way to move the doorbell. Is it not supposed to be migrated over to ADT?

TIA.

1 Recommended Answer

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@sjlee 

We don't have Nest Secure, but this post may help:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/10191961

We have 1st gen Google Nest cameras and doorbells, as well as Nest Aware Plus, and they are NOT affected, and I don't believe automation is affected unless your routine did something with Nest Secure devices.

I can't speak to ADT's limitations.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@sjlee 

We don't have Nest Secure, but this post may help:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/10191961

We have 1st gen Google Nest cameras and doorbells, as well as Nest Aware Plus, and they are NOT affected, and I don't believe automation is affected unless your routine did something with Nest Secure devices.

I can't speak to ADT's limitations.

RealHumanPerson
Community Member

Google is making your family unsafe on April 8th.  Don't expect any systems to work, especially during the "kill switch" downgrade process where they push out firmware to instantly during all devices into trash. 

jusrnephdoc
Community Member

Actually, what Google did is in some ways LESS than what they threatened. My Nest Detects all still communicate with my Nest Guard CPU over a local wireless protocol (which I assume is proprietary), so I can still arm and disarm my house, but I cannot do so using Wi-Fi connections through my iPhone (which no longer even DISPLAYS any of my Nest Detects—it just lists the Nest Guard as "offline" on the Nest App "Security" page, and "unsupported" on the Nest App Home Screen. HOWEVER, I can still arm and disarm the system, still temporarily exclude a portal from the armed state temporarily by pressing the button the its Nest Detect to illuminate the green LED, etc. No, I cannot get messages on my iPhone regarding the system's status, but I believe we now have a REAL case against Google to claim that they've proactively partially disabled our systems. The complaints appearing now about users who've accepted Google's gambit and installed apparently inferior equipment that they are struggling to connect to ADT servers only enhances our case. I don't believe we should give up.

I have no idea if there might be volunteers with coding expertise among us who would be able to alter the code that permits the Guard or Secure CPUs to communicate with our mobile devices (perhaps not just to change arming status, but perhaps even to permit us to change batteries on Nest Detects, etc.

Basically, we now have still-functioning systems but no remote monitoring and no ability to communicate with our in-home Nest CPUs over the internet. I don't know whether the code could be altered so as NOT to require interaction with Google servers, but it seems that SHOULD be possible.

Someone in one of these community discussions that began well before Google "attacked" us all on April 8 pointed out that one reason we had no standing to mount a class action was because until April 8, Google had not really DONE anything Evil. Now it has.

jusrnephdoc
Community Member

@sjlee, Nest Detects still DO work. Even my very first generation Nest Guard and my Key Fob still work. Basically, what Nest did with its April 8 "kill switch" was amputate THE best user installable security system available from Wi-Fi communication to the Nest App. So, I can still arm my house, still exclude my patio door from arming while keeping the rest of the house armed while I have a backyard patio party, and even still learn by spoken alerts issued from the Nest Guard if I'm trying to arm my house with a window open just which window IS open. And my Nest Guard still warns me with a spoken alert if I forget to disarm the system when entering the house from another door other than the one where the Guard is located. But I cannot do ANY of those things with the App, and when the batteries fail on any of my Nest Detect I doubt I'll be able to wake it up again with any of the dozen or so spare batteries I have on hand solely for that purpose.

I've been scouring the web trying to find a SYSTEM that offers such intelligent user interaction capabilities, and I've found none. "Matter" doesn't (yet) provide a multi-vendor collection of devices that can do it. I cannot BELIEVE that Google can get away with this atrocious anti-consumer behavior. But, apparently it will.