cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Replacement for Nest Detects.

Boomerut
Community Member

When Nest Secure is decommissioned on April 8, 2024 my existing Nest Detects will no longer work.

I am researching replacements.  Don’t like the ADT option.  Looking for something less obtrusive like the current Nest Detects.

I’ve found a product from a company named Aqara.  Specifically their P2 window and door sensors.  If I understand correctly, it is a Matter connected device that will integrate with Google Home.  I also believe that it needs a hub to communicate with my WiFi and have identified the Aqara M2 hub as an option.

Wondering if anyone has purchased this combination and your experience good or bad.

4 REPLIES 4

gcha8e
Community Member

I connected the replacement ADT system today.   Not sure how you mean obtrusive, perhaps the size?  Agree that Nest was more elegant for sure, and had better features!  I'm very disappointed in the NDT hub.  It's 3 times larger and does not have a motion sensor, and does not have buttons that light up.   Total downgrade.  The door sensors are also larger, and don't have motion sensors.    Ultimately, for a free system, it does the things I needed, because I was not using motion detection

This is what I’m afraid of. I have about 10 Nest window and door sensors and I love them. They are small and I do use motion sensor feature. Has anyone found something similar?

KMM
Community Member

Took me 3 weeks to get the system set up with hours on the phone and multiple departments.  Finally get it all set up and only 1 of my cameras work with it and the door sensors (the reason I bought the system) doesn't work.  I canceled and am returning the system now.  Huge downgrade from what we had.  Going to just self monitor with now security as we live in a pretty safe area that our cameras catch everything.

Boomerut
Community Member

I purchase the older window/door sensors from Aqara.  Not the P2 but the other option.  I also purchased the M2 hub.  I did not get the P2 sensors because I understand that although they will communicate with a Google Hub directely they will not show up in the Aqara app.  Apparently, you need a M3 hub which is yet to be released from Aqara to use the Aqara app.  I wanted to be able to use the Aqara app and integrate it with the Google Home app on my iPhone.

I set up the sensors relatively seemlessly (nothing goes completely without some glitches) and the individual sensors show up in the Aqara app.  When the magnet is in opposition to the the sensor the app shows "Closed" and when away from the sensor it shows "Open".

I integrated the sensors in the Google Home app without difficulty but in the Google Home app instead of Open and Closed each sensor shows unoccupied (instead of Closed) and occupied (instead of Open).  I understand that the reason the sensors don't show Open and Closed in the Google Home app has to do with a fault in the integration between Aqara and Google Home and is not correctable.  

The sensor I purchased are quite small and unobtrusive.  Then don't have motion detection or a way to disarm them at the sensor as do the Nest Detects.  Can't have everything I guess.

Any other questions let me know.