cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will Nest X Yale Lock be able to disarm ADT?

dliem
Community Member

One of the best/primary features of the Nest X Yale lock for me is the integration with Nest Secure.  When you unlock the Nest X Yale, it can be set to turn off your Nest Guard.

Now that Secure is being EOL, I doubt that the Nest X Yale lock will do the same with the ADT system.

I think we should get credit for our Nest X Yale locks to get a new lock compatible with ADT.

46 REPLIES 46

teraman
Community Member

In the same boat over here, this is a major, major feature. 

Rehanc
Community Member

Would love to see google and nest address this! 

T1749
Community Member

Same, this will be upsetting if not implemented. Have 3 of the nest x yale locks. 

Blaskowski
Community Member

Just went through the process of disconnecting my Nest Guard and re enabling the lock with the Nest Connect. Finding you can't add this to ADT+ because it isn't a Z-Wave device. This whole swap over has been a pain. Was going to upgrade my doorbell to the new but now considering selling it and my battery nest cam and going with a different brand.

B33R
Community Member

Same 

So, are we now needing to use the Yale Assure Lock 2 which is compatible with Z-Wave?

We need a class action against Google. They ripped us off.

Agreed, Google ripped me off for thousands of dollars on equipment I'll no longer be able to use.

Millertime
Community Member

I asked the question if my CO2 detectors, 3 of them, will work after NEST goes away. I was corrected that NEST is not going away, just Nest secure. I doubt that is the truth. Since I recently bought the Nest Camera spotlight and it will not connect to Nest, only Google Home. I think that pretty much shows that if new cameras do not hook up to Nest, that Nest is on its way out! Pretty pissed off about the Nest Secure. I spent a lot of time deciding what to build for my home wireless. I went with Nest, I have thermostats, light switches, door locks, CO2 Nest Secure, Google speakers, etc. I wanted everything in one app…Now getting screwed.

Ditto!

B33R
Community Member

Yep, it seems there's not gonna be that 1 app for us anymore. Nest had the best app and google is Killin it

wylie123
Community Member

Unbelievable this cancelation of a perfectly good product that we paid a lot of money for. 

SuperMario
Community Member

I am in the same boat. This is one of the features that I loved and a reason for buying. 

BMarsh
Community Member

Yep, paid over $1000 for the Nest X Yale locks. If I cannot use it to disarm the alarm, then it will be a major disappointment. It would mean that I would have to share two separate pins with visitors and instruct them on how to use the two separate devices (ADT and the locks).

cdtfl83
Community Member

I confirmed with Google support that the Nest x Yale lock is not compatible with the ADT system. It is so frustrating - now having to use the Google Home app, the Nest App, and the ADT app. Nest was fantastic before they were purchased. Very disappointed. 

Roscoegriffin
Community Member

Everything, repeat EVERYTHING, in my home is/was NEST. The ADT offering seemed promising, since Brinks indicated they were going to discontinue monitoring the Nest alarm system. As I got further into the install, it became apparent there were many flaws and holes in trying to mesh everything the way it was. It goes beyond the lock talking to the ADT system. Though they'll can be seen, my cameras are not working. The smoke/carbon monoxide detectors don't even show up. This is very disappointing!

wylie123
Community Member

Just as a warning, if anybody is considering this conversion… Don’t do it ADT is awful and Google is ripping us all off. You get the basic system but you aren’t eligible for the 30% off a new customer and you have to call on the phone to wait on hold forever or maybe not even get through for customer service or to purchase additional equipment.

T1749
Community Member

I got the system completely free. I paid 31.00 for a few additional sensors. Shipped the next day. When I called the number in the email, they picked up immediately. Wonder why you had such an issue. There was a 4 or 6 digit code in the email, gave them that and viola, free minus the sensors. 

wylie123
Community Member

I will give it one more shot and call the number in the email. I have been calling ADTcustomer service.

Community Member

what was the phone number in the email? I have misplaced (probably deleted it) and have spent hours on the phone to Google Store and Nest being pushed back and forth. I can not get an answer as to how I can get the "Free" ADT setup system to replace this soon to be paperweight.

T1749
Community Member

1-866-257-8290

It's true. I received the ADT+ package a few weeks ago and installed and it SUCKS so hard. Poor, clunky terrible design. Too many components. Doesn't work well with Google Home. Google sold us all out. 

B33R
Community Member

As others stated the yale locks are a biggie for me. The other are the sensors that the nest secure used. They are the best sensors out there. The motion night lights, quiet open, etc. Not sure if I really wanna mess with google anymore (saying this after all this $ spent 😔). The nest app was great but google already not allowing new cameras etc. on it suck like others have stated.

B33R
Community Member

May be best to sell all these google products and swap to somethin else. R.I.P. NEST

Jackthespaceman
Community Member

This is so sad... The new adt system is much worse than the old one....

clownbaby
Community Member

Google IS killing the nest app. But it seems that they will be allowing support for the older cameras in the google home app by July. So, not the nest app, but at least it brings everything into the one app.

As far as ADT, I have been on the phone with them multipl etimes. Told different things each time. Basically, ONLY the cameras are fully supported. Locks, sensors, smoke/co2 detectors are just not. I would be OK (not happy) with re-purchasing new equipment if they had something to offer for this system, but they dont. So, what are we to do? Feels like maybe they pulled the trigger on this without thinking it all the way through. I will wait to switch until I know that what i buy to replace what i have will work with the ADT system, and manageable through the google home app, which is what i primarily use.

Agreed. I would feel more comfortable if the Yale lock and CO2 sensors worked in the Google app. I’m going to ride this system out until the last week next year, then try ADT for free for a year. Not happy about going from $60 a year to $240 a year! I don’t need a monitoring service!

Yeah, my plan is to wait it out as long as possible. If they don't provide equipment that I NEED, then I will have to replace all my equipment. There is nothing holding me to this ecosystem at that point. I will just see what other options are out there. Of course, my entire home is google-ified, so that is a huge pain in my butt. Google should know better. That is why I have faith that although they pulled the trigger too early, by the time I am forced into this ADT relationship, they WILL have the ducks in a row. If not, buh bye. I am not spending thousands of dollars to have to reinvest every 3 years. I bought my security system through google, and literally 3 months later, they announced support was being dropped. I would not have gone this direction had I known that was going to happen...

I'm in the same boat. This company is screwing us. No money on or discount on products that don't work with their new adt system.

An adt don't even have some features I like. That I have with nest google set up. 

brooke_heaton
Community Member

Everything about losing my Nest Security to ADT+ has been a complete disappointing **bleep** show from poor design to fewer features. The whole thing sucks. 

clownbaby
Community Member

I just ordered the ADT system. I am confidently told now that ALL legacy google/nest stuff works with the ADT system. I was told, "that's the whole point of this partnership". Apparently some people have not been fully trained on the difference between the pro setup and the self setup. So, I still don't believe it. I will post back when i get the system to chime in further on this. Hearing a lot of chatter about difficulty setting up and google integration nightmares, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to add the sensors, but the google integration is what I am worried about.

ADT and Google have made this incredibly confusing, and even in this thread, I feel like people aren't clear on what should work and what shouldn't work, the difference between pro setup and self setup, and simply there is an issue with expectations set and expectations met. Lets be real here, some people are just unreasonable with their expectations, and when they aren't met, its easy to bash a company. The only way I feel confident knowing whether this is a **bleep**bag of a system or not (at this point) is having it myself and seeing how it works. Take what I say if you want or leave it, but I will post when its setup and let you know how it goes...

Rehanc
Community Member

Hey clownbaby, thanks for the update. Just want to be clear: are you saying the best products like Locks, sensors, smoke/co2 detectors will work in the adt app? Because they haven’t updated their list of nest products compatible with adt. 

clownbaby
Community Member

I will need to let you know for sure after I get the system and set it up, but I am told that all Nest and Google equipment should work with the ADT system. This does NOT include sensors, but I believe that is to be expected, as the sensors are designed to work with a specific hub, or at least that the way I understand it.

If this is correct, the only expense you incur is replacement of sensors, which for me cost ~$300 after tax. A minor investment to switch over. Now, if i need to buy new locks and smoke detectors, we're up over $1000 total, which is too much.

For reference regarding my experience, here is a list of what I currently have, and am hoping will integrate nicely with the ADT system.

3 x Nest Smoke/CO2 detectors
2 x Nest Indoor Cameras
2 x Nest Outdoor Cameras
1 x Google Nest Indoor/Outdoor Camera (Battery)
1 x Google Nest Cam with Floodlight
1 x Nest Hello Doorbell
2 x Nest x Yale Locks

Also worth noting, the guy on the phone that took my order said he wanted to call me back in 3 weeks after I have had some time with the system to see what my experience was. I will be brutally honest to him with positive or negative feedback. There is a 30-day money back guarantee on all of this as well, so anyone that is REALLY unhappy with this can back out within 30 days. I think that is more than enough time to decide if you hate it or not.

Rehanc
Community Member

Good stuff! Please keep us up to date when you receive and set up. Thanks for your timely responses! 

If I back out, where am I backing out to? There is no other option other than to forfiet monitoring.

Depends on how picky and specific you are about this. There are many options. I have basically come to the conclusion that i do not NEED cameras in my home security system. I can self monitor cameras. So, remove that from the mix, and your options open right up.

clownbaby
Community Member

So, here is my update.

I received my system yesterday and it took no time at all to know that I was screwed. Almost none of my google equipment worked with ADT+. This includes my Nest Smoke/CO2 detector and the Nest x Yale locks that google still sells on their website. ADT finally informed me that ONLY the devices they sell are compatible. PERIOD. So, if you don't have what is listed here:
https://www.adt.com/diy/products
..it just won't work for you. You are buying new stuff.

I have decided to cancel my account and send everything back. If I have to be pigeon-holed into buying other devices to make a Nest Secure-like security system work, then I want some flexibility.

They are giving me a full refund, minus whatever it costs to send it back (thanks ADT). Also, my promotional code is no longer valid cause i wasted it on ADT. I am arguing with google currently to get another one so I can use the $200 in the google store. Please, hear me here... DO NOT TAKE THIS OFFER. IT IS GARBAGE. DO NOT TAKE THIS OFFER. Use the code for the $200 in the google store.

If you are tech saavy, you have quite a few options. I happen to be. I just setup HomeAssistant (https://www.home-assistant.io/) and bought a SimpliSafe system. SimpliSafe is the seemingly only provider that has smoke/co2 detectors that actually work with their system. I will get the locks I want, and pull both into Home Assistant, then serve those out to the Google Home app for me to manage. This will get me where i want to be, no thanks to google or ADT. Home Assistant also opens the door for me to slowly replace my Google equipment for other options and manage them all in one place. I will probably stick with the google stuff, because i like the quality, look and ease of use of it all. But using Home Assistant to bring outside, otherwise unavailable devices into google home is a really big deal.

For those of you not so tech friendly, well. I am sorry. Google really screwed you. I would just take your $200 to the google store, buy yourself a nice gift, and prepare to spend a butt load of money on another system (SimpliSafe, Ring, Abode, Vivint, ADT (the non-google systems), Cove, etc..).

Again, remind yourself why you need the cameras in the security system. Usually they aren't monitoring your cameras anyways. If something happens, you can provide authorities with video. Bail on the requirement of video in your security system, and your options open up a little bit.

Hopefully my frustrating journey through this will keep someone else from making the same mistake.

Rehanc
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I figured none of this would work with our existing locks and older cameras. I’ll take the $200 but not happy about it. I’m looking at Arlo fwiw. They have the sensors that best match nest’s with the light and motion plus more. It’ll be an investment. Just hope they don’t buckle like nest did (and will). 

Rehanc
Community Member

Re: Nest, I’m seeing a lot of their stuff go on sale. I will not base my security system on their products because I don’t see them lasting too long. I feel like the writing is in the wall here. They’re purging inventory and exiting the game.