cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Hub Restarts Every Night & Interrupts Sleep Sounds

Kwpitt893
Community Member

I’ve racked my brain and can’t figure out a fix for this issue - I appreciate any help at all. I have Sleep Sounds as part of a bedtime routine on my 1st gen Nest Hub and have them set to play all night. Everything worked perfectly for over a year and then several months ago the Hub started restarting itself 3-4 nights a week. I’ve researched  the issue and some people say it’s for updates. Seems odd that there would be updates several times a week, but even if it is, the restarting isn’t the issue I have a problem with. The problem is that on the nights it resets, my sleep sounds don’t continue after it restarts and I wake up around 4-5 am realizing they’re not on. I tried to set a second routine for around 4am to play sleep sounds thinking that if they stopped playing due to a restart, the second routine would kick them back on. But for whatever reason, the second routine will not restart them. Does anyone have any clue on any other workarounds?  The background noise helps me sleep so much better and I hate waking up because they’re not running. 

87 REPLIES 87

Shwing
Community Member

Same! I have a routine setup that plays a radio stream until 6am, but recently I wake to silence.

My Google Hub Gen 1 seems to reboot itself at 2am everyday. Of course once it restarts any previous routine / function doesn't continue.

This has become extremely annoying, and from the looks of it I'm not the only one who thinks so.

raheenb
Community Member

I'm just glad to know mine isn't the only one that restarts every night. I don't have any routines but it's still super annoying, you'd think they'd limit it to once a week or let users decide.

wombat268
Community Member

I have the same problem every night my nest hub reboot about 3am I have the radio on all night and I wake up to it turned off this is so annoying 

jim148
Community Member

When your hub reboots, does the screen go from dark/dim to really bright?

I don't have any routines, radio or sleep sounds, but frequently I'm woken up by our home hub around 3am because the screen is illuminating the whole room, then after a short period it returns to its correct dim screen with clock.

This morning though it woke me up and it did look like the device had rebooted as the screen had a "spinning" google logo.

This is really annoying and the device is close to just being switched off if no solution can be found.

raheenb
Community Member

Yep. Mine does it randomly throughout the day though. I really thought i had a defective unit until i found this thread. I feel like my 2nd generation models do it more than my 1st gens, oddly enough.

Kwpitt893
Community Member

Yes that’s definitely what’s happening. It’s basically the same thing as if you did a manual reset during the day minus the startup sound (thankfully).  I’ve only caught it in that process of rebooting once but if it were just that, I could handle it. It’s the fact that it cancels my sleep sounds and then doesn’t restart them after restarting that drives me crazy. In the last week, my hub has restarted four of seven nights and I wake up around 5am to complete silence instead of my rain sounds. I even set a second routine for 4am to play rain sounds (in case a restart cancels the original routine that starts when I go to bed) and for whatever reason, the second routine never kicks in after it reboots. Frustrated!

Yeah i use my phone connected to a Bluetooth speaker for my thunderstorm sounds at night.  If the connection is acting up I'll use my Nest Audio as backup.  I doubt the Hubs will improve soon enough to change much, sadly.

JimBarn
Community Member

For the past two nights I was awaken by my Nest Hub shining really brightly illuminating the whole room, I am wondering if this is the same issue! This is extremely frustrating. 

Same here. I wish someone from Google would pick up this issue. 

adw0mack
Community Member

I'm having the same issue.  I think this has been happening for months.  I sleep soundly for the first 4-5 hours of the night, and then I become a VERY light slepper.  The nest hub rebooting lights up room and pulls me out of what light sleep I was in, and then I am just awake.

I did not realize this was happening until this past week, when it woke me up enough for me to look at it and see that it was rebooting.  

I have unplugged it the last two nights, and I've actually managed to sleep thru the night.

GOOGLE, YOU MUST FIX THIS PROBLEM.

AJL
Community Member

Mine is restarting at around 4AM with a full bright screen that lights up the room and wakes us up. It will be returned to the store if they can't fix this. Why would Google be doing this to people that need to sleep at night? If the unit needs to reboot they need to update the firmware so that it does this during the day or have it start up with a completely black screen. 

Community Member

At the very least you should be able to pick the time for update checks - that way, as you mentioned, you could have the unit check during the day when at work not in the middle of the night.  My big issue, to add to the bright screen is that once it restarts it doesn't resume playing any ambient sounds. 

Rskottie
Community Member

Now that the White Noise issue has been resolved, what's it going to take to get the reboot issue resolved?

suzook
Community Member

Mine do this too. I seriously don't understand wtf google is waiting for. I would be ok with the device checking for an update once a week, but every night? C'mon Google!

Glatisant
Community Member

Mine too -_+ do i have to buy apple?

Community Member

Same here when playing built in ambient sounds or YouTube ambient sounds it reboots between 3 - 330 AM almost every night. I've done a factory reset, but that didn't change anything. I realize there are updates, but I can't believe that updates are being pushed out every evening.  

Community Member

So an update, for the last week or so this issues seems to be corrected. My sleep sounds play throughout the night with no reboot. I didn't adjust any settings or change anything in respect to how I am using the Google Hub. I haven't noticed any reboots during the evening hours, so I'm not sure if its rebooting during the day or not. Current system firmware ends in 1146047 and cast firmware ends in 285344. 

Bobby74
Community Member

Mine still rebooted last night at around 3AM and my versions are the same as yours. Hopefully those versions were the ones that got installed last night and it is fixed now for me as well. Fingers crossed!

Bobby74
Community Member

Problem is still there.

Community Member

So a second update - everything had been working normally since my last post.  Unfortunately the last two nights the reboot issue started again - it's different this time around as there is no more bright screen on reboot, no Google logo, the rain sounds just stop, screen goes dark then about a min later just back to the clock. Restarting the rain sounds works as expected and it plays through for the rest of the night. Again reboot occured at 2:55 PM, so still the dreaded 3PM time frame. A point to note both the system firmware and cast firmware have updated; current system firmware ends in 46075, and cast firmware ends in 291758.  So it would seem that the recent updates have reintroduced this bug. More to follow.

Community Member

Third update, Google home still rebooting, although it's not every night but still quite freqently - 4 - 5 times per week at still at the 3AM time frame. However I have noticed that the nightly reboot issue is not happening with the home mini. Clearly there is something specfic to the devices with screens and the frequent nightly restarts - a hardware /software conflict of some sort. I'm planning on going the preview program with one of my Google homes to see if that will correct this issue.

jim148
Community Member

I've not noticed this issue for a few weeks now, I can't say for sure if it's fixed or not. It could be fixed by settings or a recent update, or there's just not been an update to wake me up at 3am.

What did happen is that I contacted Google support and we went over the general settings, one thing that may have helped here was that "Ambient EQ" was not enabled.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9137130?hl=en-GB

Low-light mode was enabled, but not Ambient EQ.

I've enabled Ambient EQ Always

Bobby74
Community Member

Have the same issue. My Nest Hub 1st Gen reboots around 3AM several nights per week and my Rain sounds stop playing. This means that I have to ask Google to start playing my Rain sounds again after the reboot or when I wake up realizing the sounds stopped playing. Very annoying! Please let us choose update times Google. Or at least remember and restore the state it was in before the reboot. I'm seriously considering going to Amazon, but I have 7 Google speakers! 😞

nesthubproblems
Community Member

I have a nest hub max, it is a piece of crap. I want my alexa back.

I'll buy your Max 😁 #

Zappos
Community Member

I'm glad I'm not only one! As others gave said, it's the light up the room issue that wakes me. It's gone in the kitchen. Alexa by my bed now.

Google need to sort this out.... but they won't of course.

ken73chen
Community Member

Same on my Google Hub Gen 2, reboot at about 3PM (UTC+8) every day.

wombat268
Community Member

Yes mine still keeps rebooting every night, Google sucks they dont care about their customers they only care about how much money they make i dont buy any more google products i wish i could return my 2 x home hubs and 1 x max home hub  

Selling max? I'll buy 😁 sgretz at ymail

b19bol
Community Member

Yep my hub reboots daily. The times I have seen it are mainly suring the day, however they could be at other times too. Any timers i had running also get reset/removed. So annoying

Rskottie
Community Member

I'm not rebooting daily, but at least 3x/weeks, all in the middle of the night.  Fortunately my alarms have not been impacted.

Regis87
Community Member

My Nest Hub 2 also reboots several times a week around 3am, with a very bright screen waking me up each time 😠

It would be nice that either:

• we can choose the time of the updates (the Google Support confirmed me that it is currently "hardcoded" that the updates are around 3am / 4am)
  • the screen remains dark after a reboot during the night
  • the update downloads during the night, but it applies at the next manual reboot
  • the time remains displayed if you turn off the wifi during the night (it would be nice in any case)

Regis

yosihatem
Community Member

Same here

Almost everyday randomly restarts

RomSen
Community Member

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? Google will not confirm this is normal operating behavior.

Community Member

Try enrolling in the Preview Program for the device you are having issues with. I did with mine and I haven't had the nightly reboot issue since.  To do this: Open the Google Home App, select the device you want to enroll, tap the gear icon at the upper right, select Device Information then tap Preview Programme.  I may take a few hours for the device to be enrolled so wait out. 

Zappos
Community Member

Interesting. Mine's been enrolled in Preview since I got it and I still get restarts a 3AM - although not every day now it seems. Only on the Max though. Doesn't do it on my Gen 1 and 2 displays.

Community Member

Strange, for me it's the opposite - happened on Gen 1 displays, but not the Max. I only ever saw the Max reboot during the daytime - I play ambient sounds on the Max in the evening and it was always still playing in the morning.

Zappos
Community Member

Google respond to a customer? That'll be the day....

RomSen
Community Member

They did try to troubleshoot, but based on the responses it seemed to me like the service rep didn't have a clue. Reset, restart, new outlet, update, nothing changed the behavior.

There's no home device on the market that needs a daily device update. Weekly or emergency updates aside, I suspect it is either a programming defect or device defect.

As with others only one of my two devices are impacted and the device has always done this, straight out of the box.

The question that I asked customer service was "Is the device supposed to be restarting/updating every night, and is this considered abnormal or normal operation?"

Since the technician danced around the question and would not confirm this was normal operation that means this is seen as abnormal by Google & Nest proper.