cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest hub - camera feed is not available

babak1
Community Member

Installed a new Nest Hub Max and a new Nest Doorbell (with battery). When the doorbell is pressed, the screen on Nest Hub max says "camera feed is not available" . The Nest Hub rings and says 'someone is at the door'. Phones issue a notification and displays the video just fine. If I ask the Nest Hub to display the live video, it works fine - only issue is it won't display the camera feed when the doorbell is pressed.  Anyone know how to fix?

The same exact issue was brought up in another thread about 3 weeks ago (https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Nest-hub-camera-feed-is-not-available/t...), but the moderator just locked the thread without providing any solution. He only gave a vague explanation that Nest Doorbell video should not work on Nest Hub, which is completely wrong. This is not what Google advertises as a selling point for Nest Hub, saying that you can see the person who rings the doorbell on your Hub screen.

1 Recommended Answer

krue92
Community Member

Wierd I turned off visitor announcements today for 5 minutes and turned it back on and now its working.  Not sure if that fixed it or not.  Shouldn't be this hard.  😀

View Recommended Answer in original post

53 REPLIES 53

Biju
Community Member

I don't know if it will help. But this was the exact steps I did. But the Visitor announcements is something you should check first in the setting for the Device(camera). Mine was on but I had the same issues. Kind of toggling it multiple times over multiple days seems to had worked for me. I am not sure if Iphone app has an issue where it this doesn't sync with google servers or some update made a mess, but its worth a try. Or you could do it on an Android phone if you have one (same steps I guess in the app). Sorry I am not an expert but trying to help.

1. Made sure there are no silent notification checked on the Google home app 

2> opened Nest App on my iphone

3> Made sure that there are no home/Away assist settings enabled (device should say "no Change"; if not toggle to off after after clicking that link)

4> Notifications -> Device -> Notifcations type - Push notification + When to Send - Always . Select everything (toggle on and off for When to send)

5> Scrol down and at the end select the device again -> Camera On/Off (toggle ON to off and then off to ON). Do the same for Indoor Chime ON/Off

6> Home away assist to - Off (if its on change)

7> Schedule - Off

8> Notifications (checked again)

9> If any activity zones remove

10> Visitor Announcements (Check if its off, if so turn it on). I believe this is the right setting for enabling the Video when some one rings the bell. I had it on all the time, but was having this issue. So I did a toggle to on and off to on again.

11> Door bell themes - Just changed to Christmas.

12> go back -> back -> back 🙂

13> Terminate the application, check back the Nest app and see if these settings are the way you set. Hopefully then or between next day it may have to sync or do some Christmas magic!!

Biju
Community Member

By close application on Iphone I mean to close every app on Iphone so that there is nothing caching on iphone for the app -> on IOS 15 scroll up from the bottom side of screen an inch and hold finger -> this should open up all the apps that are open. swipe up on each app that is open to close it. Similar function is there on Android phone to terminate apps, but its easier and can be done multiple ways.

jpfeifer14
Community Member

Everyone go check this now and try and reply while I'm on the phone with nest. Does the doorbell seem to shut off entirely when you press the button?

jpfeifer14
Community Member

FYI, Google nest phone support says no one has raised this issue. They also won't do anything about it.

bjn2
Community Member

It's unlikely to fix the issue since I don't think it's hardware. As I posted earlier, we did get ours working. But I don't know what of several variables (settings, iPhone vs. Android phone) made the difference.

jpfeifer14
Community Member

Ours was ultimately resolved when nest sent us a replacement. However, they refused to do so until, after being lied to and treated like absolute garbage by the support team, I request in details regarding their arbitration policy. Only then did a supervisor decide to replace it.

So, good luck. Buy ring or wyze.

antisocial
Community Member

Having this same issue while trying to use a Google camera (as a baby camera) with the hub. The hub will show the video for about an hour and then turn off "cannot show camera feed".

LindaA
Community Member

I have the exact same issue. I was on the phone with technical support for over an hour. Got bounds left and right and still no resolution. I am hoping that I will have a resolution by tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.  I have the Pixel6 and everything in my home is essentially Google.

dwmccorm
Community Member

Best of luck getting a quick response.  I'm on about week three of waiting. 

LindaA
Community Member

Ahhh you cursed me (jk). No follow up as promised...

krazyk
Community Member

I’m having the same issue.  I followed the recommendations on the locked thread and this one.

Any options from here?  Do I need to upgrade to a different Nest Hub?

krue92
Community Member

Having the same issue on both my google hubs.  Nothing has changed in my configuration either, so not sure what happend.  Was on the phone with google for an hour yesterday until I got disconnected.  Probably try calling them back today, but not sure how it will help.

krue92
Community Member

Wierd I turned off visitor announcements today for 5 minutes and turned it back on and now its working.  Not sure if that fixed it or not.  Shouldn't be this hard.  😀

Biju
Community Member

I have similar experience, but I have toggled all settings and even then I believe Visitor Announcement is the culprit