cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Problems with Scheduling Smart Tapo Bulbs

Harriflex16
Community Member

Since installing my Google Nest wired Doorbell I’ve had to add four wifi extenders and switch off my main Wifi Router wifi. I added the wired Google security Camera and twin Floodlights. Initially the smart setup went well and very impressive. Then I added two Tapo Smart Bulbs. Sadly the timer schedule fails as well as dimming the two smart bulbs to the appropriate intensity. The Nest Home and Away location monitoring is always incorrect. We have two iPhones and three iPads all with home wifi access. Sadly it’s all become very unstable. 

2 Recommended AnswerS

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Ah this is a case of terminology. Google Wifi and Nest Wifi are not Wifi extenders, they are a mesh solution that is designed to give you whole home coverage. Whereas, traditional Wifi extenders just amplify and repeat the Wifi signal of an existing Wifi router. 

If you already have Google Wifi or Nest Wifi, what result do you get from the mesh test?

Mesh test guide: Improve your network performance - Google Nest Help

In addition to the advice linked above, I'd recommend checking out the placement guidance if you've not already.

Where to place your Wifi devices - Google Nest Help

One thing that's not explicitly stated is you should aim to place your primary Wifi point as close as possible to the centre of your home. That's because the Google Wifi and Nest Wifi mesh system uses a fewest hops approach. If one of your secondary points can get even a weak connection to your primary Wifi point, it will do that instead of going through an intermediary Wifi point that may physically be closer. That's why not installing them in a straight line, and placing your primary Wifi point close to the centre of your home really helps, along with all the other guidance in that article above.

If you still experience issues after that, you can consider extra Wifi points (though not more than 5) or look at hardwiring all your Wifi points.

Hardwire Wifi devices with Ethernet - Google Nest Help

View Recommended Answer in original post

Harriflex16
Community Member

Hi David, yes sorry for any confusion. The system was of course a Google Mesh Network (all units within very close proximity to each other, after drilling through concrete to reposition the Master Unit) then all the usual protocols checked. Hopefully it was resolved by my Deleting the Tapo Smart light App and all of its data, also on the Google Home App scheduler. Reinstalled after the new update of Tapo, now that side of things is working Ok. For now!?

View Recommended Answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you temporarily remove your Wi-Fi extenders from the setup, do the issues stop?

My experience with Wi-Fi extenders is they're sometimes a bit temperamental. If you need that many Wi-Fi extenders, you would be better served by investing in a proper mesh Wi-Fi system to give you whole home Wi-Fi coverage, as nothing else is going to be satisfy your needs if I'm being perfectly honest with you.

Hi David, many thanks for your reply. The Google Mesh extenders that I’m using, are surely the correct option already? I’ve tried all the usual turning everything off, restarting, fine tuning the Google Mesh to get the best equal coverage and so on. 

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Ah this is a case of terminology. Google Wifi and Nest Wifi are not Wifi extenders, they are a mesh solution that is designed to give you whole home coverage. Whereas, traditional Wifi extenders just amplify and repeat the Wifi signal of an existing Wifi router. 

If you already have Google Wifi or Nest Wifi, what result do you get from the mesh test?

Mesh test guide: Improve your network performance - Google Nest Help

In addition to the advice linked above, I'd recommend checking out the placement guidance if you've not already.

Where to place your Wifi devices - Google Nest Help

One thing that's not explicitly stated is you should aim to place your primary Wifi point as close as possible to the centre of your home. That's because the Google Wifi and Nest Wifi mesh system uses a fewest hops approach. If one of your secondary points can get even a weak connection to your primary Wifi point, it will do that instead of going through an intermediary Wifi point that may physically be closer. That's why not installing them in a straight line, and placing your primary Wifi point close to the centre of your home really helps, along with all the other guidance in that article above.

If you still experience issues after that, you can consider extra Wifi points (though not more than 5) or look at hardwiring all your Wifi points.

Hardwire Wifi devices with Ethernet - Google Nest Help

Harriflex16
Community Member

Hi David, yes sorry for any confusion. The system was of course a Google Mesh Network (all units within very close proximity to each other, after drilling through concrete to reposition the Master Unit) then all the usual protocols checked. Hopefully it was resolved by my Deleting the Tapo Smart light App and all of its data, also on the Google Home App scheduler. Reinstalled after the new update of Tapo, now that side of things is working Ok. For now!?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Glad to hear that!