cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Doorbell (Battery) Live video unavailable, Camera unavailable

truenorf
Community Member

New Doorbell (Battery) installed today and all went well except I couldn't see the live video at the end of installation.  I accidentally pressed the doorbell and it chimed, then I was able to view the live video, but only after the bell was pressed for about 30 seconds.

Subsequently, I am unable to view live video.  Every time I go to the camera and tap to view live I get the blue whirring 'wait' icon, then after a few seconds: "Live video unavailable" and "Camera unavailable" above.  However, the green light comes on on the front of the doorbell and it's clearly recording a clip, as it shows up later in history.

If I press the doorbell I get the chime on the doorbell and then the chime on all my home speakers announcing that someone is at the door.  It even identifies that someone as a 'known face' if they're known.  And I can then get to live video view.  So the connection is good and video is all working in that scenario.  But if I press the microphone button to talk I get 'cannot connect to talk and listen' and the quick responses don't work.

Then, after 30 seconds or so, the live video for the doorbell press ends and that's it.  I can no longer access live video again.

Tested in the Home app on Android on my Pixel 5 and Android on my Pixelbook.

1 Recommended Answer

tl;dr

Try the installation using an iPhone

The full story...

And just for completeness, in case it helps anyone with the same problem (and Reddit says there are plenty) here's how I solved it...

Second unit received after about four days.  Exact same problems as first unit – see my original post above.

By this time I'd spent a full week on the installation and was seriously fed-up, having changed every router setting I could think of and made tens of adjustments to app, phone and Google account settings, as well.

Five factory resets, three wifi routers and two devices later I was ready to start the battle to get a refund when my wife suggested I do a final factory reset and try one more time using her Apple phone for the installation.

I scoffed, because Captain Google here is using a Pixel 5 to complement my Pixelbook, eight Home speakers, three Chromecasts, four nest wifi routers, two nest cameras and two doorbells.  So there's no way Google would make it so it could install all those things, but my Pixel 5 couldn't install the new doorbell (battery), while a lowly iPhone 11 can, right?  Right??!!

Man, was I wrong.  The doorbell installed correctly the moment I stopped trying to install it using Google's 2021 flagship phone, the Pixel 5, and started using my wife's three-year-old iPhone instead.

And blow me down, if it didn't start working properly on my Google devices once I'd installed it using an iPhone.

I doubt I'll get an apology from Google, or any recognition for the wasted week of my life, but it certainly feels good to get the story out there.

Maybe they'll send me a voucher for a free updated Pixel phone, as my one-year-old Pixel 5 is broken, apparently (works for everything else, just not installing brand new Google kit like the doorbell (battery)).

P.S.  I forwarded in-app feedback with screenshots and system config files to Google, so maybe, just maybe, they'll work out what the problem was with my Pixel 5 configuration that was preventing successful doorbell (battery) installation.  Something to do with display settings, I'll bet, given that OnePlus phones have fixed the problem while turning off 'dynamic' colour.

View Recommended Answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

truenorf
Community Member

Oh, and of course, I've tried a factory reset on the doorbell, turning the doorbell off and on again, all the troubleshooting tips for connection issues, live video issues, audio issues, without success.

This seems pretty clearly to have been a bug for about 9 months now looking at internet history.  Reddit and other areas have been reporting it at least for that long.

On the Oneplus it seems that turning off 'Vibrant' display colours fixes the issue.  But on the Pixel 5 turning off 'Boosted' or 'Dynamic' colours doesn't fix it.

Others have reported that turning of 'preferred activities' in Google wifi settings fixes the issue.  But I'm not on a Google wifi router in this home.

I've tried turning off WMM in my router, but that doesn't help.  I also have a 1st gen nest cam outdoor running through the same router, and that works fine.  I've tried turning that off, in case it's interfering, but the doorbell (battery) still doesn't show live video unless I press the bell, and then only for 30 seconds.

Please help Google.  This is poor.

Did an online support chat today.  Returned for a replacement but I'm not optimistic that the replacement will work any better.  It feels like an inherent defect based on online reports of similar problems over the last 9 months.  🤞

tl;dr

Try the installation using an iPhone

The full story...

And just for completeness, in case it helps anyone with the same problem (and Reddit says there are plenty) here's how I solved it...

Second unit received after about four days.  Exact same problems as first unit – see my original post above.

By this time I'd spent a full week on the installation and was seriously fed-up, having changed every router setting I could think of and made tens of adjustments to app, phone and Google account settings, as well.

Five factory resets, three wifi routers and two devices later I was ready to start the battle to get a refund when my wife suggested I do a final factory reset and try one more time using her Apple phone for the installation.

I scoffed, because Captain Google here is using a Pixel 5 to complement my Pixelbook, eight Home speakers, three Chromecasts, four nest wifi routers, two nest cameras and two doorbells.  So there's no way Google would make it so it could install all those things, but my Pixel 5 couldn't install the new doorbell (battery), while a lowly iPhone 11 can, right?  Right??!!

Man, was I wrong.  The doorbell installed correctly the moment I stopped trying to install it using Google's 2021 flagship phone, the Pixel 5, and started using my wife's three-year-old iPhone instead.

And blow me down, if it didn't start working properly on my Google devices once I'd installed it using an iPhone.

I doubt I'll get an apology from Google, or any recognition for the wasted week of my life, but it certainly feels good to get the story out there.

Maybe they'll send me a voucher for a free updated Pixel phone, as my one-year-old Pixel 5 is broken, apparently (works for everything else, just not installing brand new Google kit like the doorbell (battery)).

P.S.  I forwarded in-app feedback with screenshots and system config files to Google, so maybe, just maybe, they'll work out what the problem was with my Pixel 5 configuration that was preventing successful doorbell (battery) installation.  Something to do with display settings, I'll bet, given that OnePlus phones have fixed the problem while turning off 'dynamic' colour.

liord4
Community Member

Hi,
Did you get any feedback from Google ?
I also cant see live feed (and don't have the WIFI icon at the app)

truenorf
Community Member

No.  As usual, nothing from Google.  All I can suggest is use an Apple device to attempt the installation after factory resetting the doorbell.  Borrow a friend's if you have to.  Worked instantly for me.